It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's Sneaky Politics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I was skinned alive for my first post, so let me start by saying that I am pro-American. I don't always agree with the majority opinion, but hey I believe in democracy and the right to agree to disagree. Sheesh, my ancestors led the Canadian annexation movement with the U.S.

What I object to is how the Canadian government sneaks through legislation without fully divulging the full contents of a bill. At least George Bush was upfront with his claims about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction, which appear now to be unfounded. Canadian politicians often hide the truth from the masses, and Canadians do seem to be more laid back than Americans in demanding the truth.

Let me know your comments and thoughts on the article below, and in particular your suggestions on what to do about Canada's political "cone of silence".
internationaltrade.suite101.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDaniel
I was skinned alive for my first post, so let me start by saying that I am pro-American. I don't always agree with the majority opinion, but hey I believe in democracy and the right to agree to disagree. Sheesh, my ancestors led the Canadian annexation movement with the U.S.

Maybe you were skinned alive for posting a political thread on a conspiracy board. PTS is the place for Political Threads like this btw and I wouldn't be surprised if it did get moved there.

What I object to is how the Canadian government sneaks through legislation without fully divulging the full contents of a bill.

Hate to break it to you, but just about every western democracy uses the strategy of "Paperclipping" unrelated legislation to a bill that is guanteed to be signed into law.

At least George Bush was upfront with his claims about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction, which appear now to be unfounded.

I thought we were they were trying to stablize the region by bringing democracy to Iraq? Oh wait, they also said that Saddam is a bad bad man(true but not the point) and that he needs to get removed. Wait, that's not it. He was planning on selling Uranium to Al Queda! Oh wait, he was just trying to buy Urainium from some African Country. Hmmm.... which is it?
From my vantage point, Bush has been just as Sneaky as a Liberal Party supporter(I'm Orange not Red or Blue btw with a tinge of Green).

Canadian politicians often hide the truth from the masses, and Canadians do seem to be more laid back than Americans in demanding the truth.

Actually, I think both our countries populaceses are getting very apathetic about politics in general... Same can be said of Mexico too, average voter turnout on average in N. America is roughly 60 %... not good...

Let me know your comments and thoughts on the article below, and in particular your suggestions on what to do about Canada's political "cone of silence".
internationaltrade.suite101.com...

I'll bookmark it and read it later, sorry it's still very early.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   

What I object to is how the Canadian government sneaks through legislation without fully divulging the full contents of a bill. ... Canadian politicians often hide the truth from the masses, and Canadians do seem to be more laid back than Americans in demanding the truth.

(quote edited for this post by bt....I took care not to edit the context

As has been previously stated, it would seem that all governments "sneak" legistation through their respective parliaments and congress. It would also appear that many, if not all, politicians "hide the truth" from the masses. This is why people have been demanding transparency in government for as many years as there have probably been governments. Additionally, it would seem that citizens have surrendered their rights and obligations as citizens to be vigilant to the news media. Often we have come to expect the various news outlets to safeguard "our" rights by being the watchdogs of government. But what about news agencies, like the CBC, for example, that receive their funding from the very same government? Can the people really expect the CBC to become whistle-blowers against the very same people that pay their salaries? I think not.

[edit on 8/10/2006 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Sheesh, my ancestors led the Canadian annexation movement with the U.S.

Please thank your ancestors for being unsuccessful with that.

What I object to is how the Canadian government sneaks through legislation without fully divulging the full contents of a bill.

Instead of saying all governments do that, which they do, I'll say you always have the option of reading through the bills up for debate which are all available on the net. That's what I do. Then when I see something I don't like, I start complaining and writing letters. Usually nobody listens to me, but I was pleasantly surprised by the NDP for taking one of my concerns so seriously that they had one of their lawyers contact me for further discussion.

What I'm saying is nothing is hidden - we're just too lazy to go look for it.

At least George Bush was upfront with his claims about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction, which appear now to be unfounded. Canadian politicians often hide the truth from the masses, and Canadians do seem to be more laid back than Americans in demanding the truth.

So darn upfront that he refused to show us the 'evidence' they had and wanted us to go to war on his say so? Do you remember the whole 'What is a proof, a proof is a proof because it's proven' thing? Which country was more concerned about the truth then?

I tend to think of Canadians as not so much apathetic (not saying we aren't) but fully aware of the fact that no matter which politico is in office, they all lie and work for their own benefit. I think a fair amount of Americans are rather naive when they think their government is in it for Americans.

I was already aware of Canada's hidden contributions to war and our spy sats. Pretty well anyone can buy time on them or data. Why would we refuse to sell info to the US and our partners in NORAD? That's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

new topics

top topics

join