It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

lets thank France

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Any hope for the violence to end this week is gone thanks to none other than the great France. France has changed it's point of view and caved in to Arab demands of an Israeli withdraw from lebanon immediatly. The U.S. obviously won't back this so more dead.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   
if the havent noticed the french have been causing problems since the beginning. i'm willing to bet they have a hand in the cookie jar here to somewhere. i have no proof of this idea at all but it's a feeling i'm having.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Well they did get caught with their hand in the Iraqi cookie jar, so it wouldnt surprise me.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I have already posted in the past all of the things I am greatful to France for, but none of those things refers to the government in place over there. Its a big mess. They are cowering and cant even contain the messes in their own streets. They just want to avoid all of the terrorist backlash that comes with supporting the clearing of hezbollah. France's plan is idiotic. It would do nothing to solve the issue. Do they really believe that some 12,000 Lebanese forces can stop Hezbollah and contain them when many in the Lebanese army are with Hezbollah anyways. Morons.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
And in the latest deal, France has agreed to send 10,000 of their troops
to serve as a buffer between Israel and hezbollah.
Which will accomplish exactly what, except create a new supply of cheap french rifles (never fired, only dropped once) on the arms markets of the world?

[edit on 8/11/2006 by centurion1211]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
There should not be any countries troops within Lebanon besides a worthless UN force. It must be an international effort and not that of one or two countries. It is not fair for the US, France, Britain, Russia, etc to occupy that land. It will only result in some worthless casualties and mistakes. Unfortunately the UN seems like a bunch of whimps that are afraid to ever use force even when necessary.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinstopshere
Any hope for the violence to end this week is gone thanks to none other than the great France. France has changed it's point of view and caved in to Arab demands of an Israeli withdraw from lebanon immediatly.

It's absolutely understandable why the French did this "about face". France has a large Arab/Muslim population. After the urban violence and rioting that France experienced last year, the French government is certainly responding to the wishes of that segment of the French population.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
They are bowing to pressure, not doing what is right. Its the main reason the the Oil for Food scandal.

And I believe it was US President Nixon that said the UN is nothing but a debate club. How true those words are even today.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
It's France's right to do what they see fit. It's their country, after all.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Very true, they have to look after their own countries interests. But if you look at the past you'd see that Frances unwillingness to to take a short term hit for a long term gain has caused the major problems. They blocked any real action that the UN could of taken so in essence they stopped diplomacy and the US/UK and other countries had to go it alone and do what was right and enforce UN resolutions. They did that because they had illegal dealings. Now they are screwing Israel/Lebanon/Middle East because of their unwillingness to whats right for the world.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Whether I approve of their actions or not is a moot point.

Forgive me, I am just weary of reading posts saying everyone should shut up and leave the US to it's own business and then I read a thread with many Americans complaining how France is screwing it up for everyone.

It's frustrating.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I'm not saying that everyone should shut and leave the US alone. The US cant do that and expect to survive because Isolationism isnt going to work these days. The US has interests all over te world and the US needs everyones help even the French. But it is frustrating to Americnas as well to have a supposed ally that is so obviously curropt and has done nearly everythin gti can in the last few years to work against us.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
It's nice to hear an acknowledgement that the US does, in fact, need it's allies.

Perhaps the French feel the same way about the US? France isn't the only country caught with their hands in the Oil for Food cookie jar.

Maybe this thread will help you understand my frustration a bit: What Advice Would You Give America and Americans Right Now?

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I'm with Duzey on this one. If Americans expect the rest of the world to stop showing them how to run their country or play their role in the world (as has been stated by a good number of posters here), then they have to stop trying to show other countries how to run their business. Last time I looked, being an ally didn't mean jumping like a little dog on a leash every time the US orders you to.

Originally posted by SenHeathenThey did that because they had illegal dealings. Now they are screwing Israel/Lebanon/Middle East because of their unwillingness to whats right for the world.

Last time I looked, diplomacy had failed in the Israel/Lebanon conflict because a good number of countries - including most of the G8 - couldn't agree on the terms of ceasefire. So given that, does "doing what's right for the world" mean doing what the US believes is best?

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Looks like the first steps towards a cease fire may happen. The newest agreement will be presented to Israel and contains a UN force of 15,000 alongside 15,000 of the Lebanese army to occupy a 400 square mile zone in south Lebanon for the safety of Israel from Hezbollah rockets. This seems more sound.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
That sounds like a good deal I hope we can end the violence.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Just received this picture today of snipers training in the French "army".

photo

Snipers must often sit for hours waiting for the right moment to shoot.

There just has to be a better way to do this ...

[edit on 8/11/2006 by centurion1211]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I guess I could repeat how completely gratuitous those comments about the French army are. And point out that France and the U.S. DID, in the last analysis, co-sponsor that deal which was adopted by the UN Security Council.

But eh, why bother? Sometimes, the blind are those who want to be blind.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Has nothing to do with the French army. It has to do with the fact that no single country including France or any other country should have the right to occupy that territory. Should only be Lebanon and a UN or international military presence.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Actually the job of a Democratic Government is to do what the people voted you to do. If the French Government believe that the people would not have wanted them to support the actions of the Israeli Government they are well within their rights to do this.

Otherwise, the arguement that is posted is flawed. Why should France not be allowed to do as it wishes but the United State's can do? Surely everyone on ATS can see the flaw there?

Furthermore, it would be unwise for one Nation to go into Lebanon and control it by force. Especailly when Lebanon is willing to mobalize its own ARMY and do the job themselves - including disarming Hezbollah. Surely, Israel should be the one to allow them to do this? Giving them a time frame to stop the attacks before they are re-invaded or a United Nation's force is placed in there instead.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join