It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War crimes act, who needs it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
John Q innocent as you call him if picked up is picked up for a reason. Yes mistakes happen and they tend to be resolved.

Why do people act as if they just pull social security numbers out of a hat and say "um yeah lets torture this guy today".

When they pick these people up they have particular questions and reasons for doing so. Its not hard to check responses with a database to see if things are connected or not. There are many test that can confirm and deny things such as heart rate and voice stress ect. You don't always need a yes or no answer.

How do you know who John Q innocent is and isn't?

They work with the info they have and go from there. How else would you have them go forward. Answers aren't just conjured from thin air. There is no perfect method. How would you go about doing things...

I'm also not in favor of torture. But that depends on one definition of turture. I consider torture physical mutilation. Others consider it making someone listen to music they don't like...

When you pick someone up on the battlefield that has been shooting at you they know something. When you pick someone up in america that is here illegally and has records of finance and contact that is conected to known terrorist fronts and orgs they know something.
[edit on 11-8-2006 by American Madman]

[edit on 11-8-2006 by American Madman]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Madman

I'm also not in favor of torture. But that depends on one definition of turture. I consider torture physical mutilation. Others consider it making someone listen to music they don't like...

When you pick someone up on the battlefield that has been shooting at you they know something. When you pick someone up in america that is here illegally and has records of finance and contact that is conected to known terrorist fronts and orgs they know something.

You dont consider torture to be anything more than physical mutilation? Wow. You have ALOT to learn about the human condition. I have felt great pain in my life far beyond any physical damage that could come about. you dont think it is possible to torture without leaving a mark? Sad.

If someone is picked up on the battlefield for shooting at you, you have to ask yourself something. Is this really an evil terrorist, or could this person just be defending his home or country? I am against bush and this government with all my heart, but dont you think for one second that I wouldn't be fighting against a foreign force intent on "removing them from power". Nothing would make me happier than to see them gone, but that is for US as Americans to do, not another country. If we were invaded, I would be fighting for our freedoms and our homes, I sure as hell wouldn't be fighting for bush or corporate america.
Just because some dude is shooting at us to defend his homeland doesn't make him a terrorist. The whole point I was trying to make (which I think was missed) was that torture doesn't provide reliable intel - whether you are torturing a "terrorist" or a patriot - yes people can shoot at US soldiers and still be patriots in their own countries.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

I wanted to ask you a question because of your line of work.

Are you familiar with or do you have training in the Reid Technique? If so, do you think that it could be applied in such cases? Do you think that adapting this interrogation technique for military applications is possible?

I've been trying to find someone who could give me some insight on that, and maybe it could be you.

en.wikipedia.org...

I'm trying to think of alternatives.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey

Originally posted by semperfortis

I wanted to ask you a question because of your line of work.

Are you familiar with or do you have training in the Reid Technique? If so, do you think that it could be applied in such cases? Do you think that adapting this interrogation technique for military applications is possible?

I've been trying to find someone who could give me some insight on that, and maybe it could be you.

en.wikipedia.org...

I'm trying to think of alternatives.

Yes, I am a certified Reid Expert. Also Certified to give testimony in two states using the technique.

Reid utilizes a number of conscious and subconscious factors that enable an interviewer/interrogator to facilitate a subject towards confession.

It is particularly effective in "weeding out" false confessions due to the method.

It's use in a Military application would be restricted due to several factors.

1. Militant Extremists that have a "true" hard line "belief" in their cause will not be effected, and can not be influenced by the "quilt" complex necessary in certain aspects of the technique.
(ie. if a person believes it to be true, it is in their mind) (Same principle for the polygraph)
2. Reid requires a certain amount of cooperation. One of the first actions the Interrogator must perform is to establish an environment of trust.
3. The Reid Technique is less effective on certain cultures, such as those in the Middle East, due to differing basic cultural foundations.

There are others, but these are the main restrictions that I can see.

That being said, I am sure it has been/ is being tried. I have used it extensively on numerous occasions and found it VERY effective, however I have had little success on those of Middle Eastern Descent.

There is currently an ongoing restructuring of the technique to facilitate it's use in varying socioeconomic situations. I have been to several seminars discussing this, yet have personally observed only minimal progress.

Semper

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by LogansRun

If someone is picked up on the battlefield for shooting at you, you have to ask yourself something. Is this really an evil terrorist, or could this person just be defending his home or country?
Just because some dude is shooting at us to defend his homeland doesn't make him a terrorist.

OK patriot or terrorsist they know something at the very least they are targeting me. Whether terrorists or patriots the term makes no difference to me. Plus how can you tell untill you interrogate them.

Tell you what next time someone shoots at you, you stop during the moment and try to decide the difference... Don't get shot while your sitting there...

Now if someone invades my country I have a choice. THe answer lies with the question do I consider my gov to be like the taliban... If so the I help the invaders, if not then I fight the invaders. Either way if I'm caught I don't expcet roses. And your a fool if you expect otherwise.

I'm sure you don't like bush for reasons that would aply to clinton too if you looked hard enough. But since it BUSH the almighty all knowing evil eye from the hobbit.....

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Thanks for the input, semperfortis.

I hope they have some success adapting it so that it could be more universal.

df1

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogansRun
Convenient that a "thwarted terror attack" is breaking news when stories like this come out.

Convenience has nothing to do with articles like this, when the hot new reality tv series is "Thwarted Terrorist Bust Of The Week". You could have said the same lastweek and cited the irc terrorists that were supposedly thwarted. Or in the preceding weeks before when the florida terrorists were reputedly thwarted.

When do you think it would be a more convenient time to talk about an administration that is subverting the US constitution and the rule of law? When they are doing it seems like a damn good time to me.

[edit on 14-8-2006 by df1]

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
First I don't think that old "John Q" would be considered a Prisioner of War.

As far as answering the question about if I would torture a terrorist to save an American. I have a simple answer. I'll quote the line attributed to an urban legend. "If it will save an American life, I only have one thing to say. Red is positive and Black is negative". One small thing though. I'd change American to innocent.

<< 1   >>

join