It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What we can learn from Mexico....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
not to be cliche... but my fellow American Atsers.... we can learn ALOT from whats going on in Mexico right now... the Left leaning leader Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador has organized the electorate... shut down Mexico City for all intensive purposes and has now... shut down several Foreign banks in Mexico city. All to get his recount... because he believes, and i tend to agree, that there was cheating and vote manipulation.... and instead of bending over and taking one for the team, Alla Gore, hes stood up and said NO our voices will be heard and this corruption will stop.... we here in the United States in November 06 & 08... we need to start a change in our government... and when we see evidence of vote manipulation and tampering we need to look at Mexico and see that that's what a Democracy does when someone tries to hijack it.... we don't just let them do it.... we show them that regardless of their "wealth" political connections etc that we as a people can shut their lofty lil businesses down... we can refuse to go to work... refuse to buy... there's a lot we can do and as Ive said already... we could learn from Mexico....

Reuters

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Protesters blocked access to foreign banks in Mexico on Wednesday to protest what they said was election fraud while judges and troops oversaw a partial recount that could decide last month's presidential vote.

Supporters of leftist Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador surrounded main offices in Mexico City of the U.S.-based Citigroup's Mexican unit Banamex, Bancomer bank owned by Spain's BBVA and the British giant HSBC. They closed them down for several hours, unfurling banners and chanting slogans.

Lopez Obrador, a fiery anti-poverty campaigner, narrowly lost the July 2 presidential vote to conservative ruling party candidate Felipe Calderon.

Check out this article... it really is worth the read... we need to take our democracy back... and IM not talking about Dems or Reps... I'm talking about the people... while I may be a left leaning person... I realise that for our country to move forward we cannot be partisan... we must be moderate... allowing for both conservatism and liberalism to survive and thrive... Vote... call ur senator... be engaged.... if we lose our democracy we have no one to blame other than ourselves...

[edit on 9-8-2006 by Elsenorpompom]

new topics

join