It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dubai Omega-Palm Island Project?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I really can't explain exactly why this disturbs me....

However, according to The Daily Mail, a construction site for the uber-rich involves a massive artificial archipelago-penninsula-thingy... The entire island is a series of artificial penninsulas which collectively form a tree, surrounded by the Omega symbol.

Aside from Michael Jackson being an investor, there's nothing outright sinister or scary about this hedonistic pleasure paradise. The developers are also working on The World Archipelago, a cluster of 264 islands that form a world map.

It's the very shape of the thing seems... wrong.

Does anyone else get this, or am I just being wierd?

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Maybe because it looks a little like this???
Circle, feathers, beak looking to the lest and a little up, the 2 islands on the bottem being the paws with the arrows and the twigstuff?
Just a thought
was the first thing that come to my mind

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   
you're right it doeslook like the omega symbol, it would be cool to look at that from google earth.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
It looks a little like the letter Omega. But those portions seem to serve as breakwaters, no?

Beleive it or not, thats not the weirdest/whackiest building project in that part of the world.

A similar project is to create a miniature map of the entire world, with villas and estates on newly created land in the sea in the shape of continents.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
A similar project is to create a miniature map of the entire world, with villas and estates on newly created land in the sea in the shape of continents.

Yar, I know, it's the World Archipelago I referenced at the end of the OP. Rumor has it that Rod Stewart bought the island that looks like Britain. The same company that built the Jumeri Palm (Omega thingy above) island/penninsula thingy built the World Archipelago.

So let's see, we got a company that makes a hedonistic island paradise, surrounded/protected by a giant Omega, who also create an archipelago of the World, all from sand dredged up from the ocean floor, which only the uber rich can afford to live in, off the coast of a land known for having one of the most corrupt ruling class on Earth.

There's gotta be something in that.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
If the $400 billion project works because chances are that it won't as there is simply no reason, aside for tourism sake, to build so much all at once.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Lucky they don’t have hurricanes and tsunamis in Dubai or I’d laugh my arse off seeing the rich flee while their uber expensive house along with the entire island disappeared back into the sea. But that’s ok, its going to slowly disappear anyway due to rising ocean levels, so don’t invest long term!

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I saw documentory on this islands on discovery. Its pretty difficult job to maintain. sand gets washed away & everyday they have to pump sand and pu it back at where it was. but looks real good.

about symbol, i guess its just to prevent Island from dicrect exposure to sea.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
This symbol is there to act as a breakwater and nothing more, without it the whole thing would be washed away. There is no conspiracy here just civil engineering and a growing city.

I would suggest if you ever get a chance to go to Dubai, go. What they are doing with that city is beyond belief.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The thing that disturbs me about the project is that it's just plain old Ugly. Design wise I find it trite and banal. Just goes to prove that having a lot of money doesnt guarantee good taste. I'll bet nickles to peanuts that It was designed by the daughter or son of the contractor. Or that nepotism played a role in it's design in a big way.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
The thing that disturbs me about the project is that it's just plain old Ugly. Design wise I find it trite and banal. Just goes to prove that having a lot of money doesnt guarantee good taste.

Well obviously because rich people prefer neutrality above all else. If you compare The Palm with say Switzerland for example, you do get way more bang for the buck since it's cold in the rich countries and there are next to none ammeneties in the warm countries. It would seem that the designers went ahead with this most audacious of leisure projects in the hopes they could somehow recreate Italy with the added bonus of a World City in the background. What residents and tourist alike are getting when they go to The Palm is an expirience much like Hawaii as such, you aren't really supposed to compare this place with anywhere else on Earth.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
does anyone have any facts about the problems that have occured in relation to the coast with the building of the palm? I have heard that the sand needs to be replaced daily, but does anyone know anything more?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Hmmmm, what does that remind me of?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

It reminds me of this:

I dunno why....

top topics

join