It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Operation Desert Storm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I've always had this burning question on my mind and that being how did America the proud wind up with the quagmire that is Iraq today exactly? Everything was going America's way since the Soviet Union was brilliantly defeated and the free world never was better. I'm thinking apprehension got the best out of the Pentagon as the U.S. military was truly buzzing with their first actually great success. My other theory is that the obscenely low prices created this ultra Saudi conspiracy of which forced the unlimited powers of NATO to back down on reforming the cradle of civilization. Of course, the U.S. power brokers were only human and the whole ordeal made them too scared to do what is necessary no matter how much they regret to this day.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   
They have to fight a politically correct war. They can't do anything that might upset the muslems. If the US could fight a real war and destroy the cities were these insurgents are held up, how long would it be a quagmire.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Seriously thou, politics always did go out the window when war in a most caustic sort of way comes about. Saddam Hussein did a lot of damage to Kuwait before he left as such, there was absolutely no reason to stop chasing him just because one little country was liberated and everyone wanted to be home on time. I mean, if money was everything than the United States of America simply wouldn't have even existed as it was always profitable to stay apart of the British Empire.

[edit on 15-8-2006 by risitar]

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
US military operations in Iraq may be due to your poor sentence structure. Do you think the world is as sweet a place as your mother tells you? After the Soviet Union was left spent and dry in the early 90's, the US began focusing attention towards the regions neglected by virtue of the greater evil. The world is not perfect, we are not perfect but we can make it a better place for all.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by steve99
They have to fight a politically correct war. They can't do anything that might upset the muslems. If the US could fight a real war and destroy the cities were these insurgents are held up, how long would it be a quagmire.

I think I'll let Tucker Carlson respond to this one:

Let‘s see, the solution in Iraq is just level it, turn it into a parking lot, an ice rink, just kill everybody, knock every building down, pulverize it to dust. On the other hand, macho solutions are no solutions.

I mean, didn't we go to Iraq to free these people and give them a better life? I don't understand how destroying their cities accomplishes that. Yeah. It doesn't. Iraq War sucks doesn't it?

It makes for some excitement for you, but yeah, its just that stupid of an idea.

[edit on 17-8-2006 by sweatmonicaIdo]

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I agree, if it was all for money and oil, why do we spend so much money and lives doing this the hard way? But people have their own believes.

Why are we having trouble? 1) we went in with too few troops and 2) the US armed forces just arent trained nor equiped for this type of figthing. They can sink, blow up, destroy, demolish, implode, kill and utter vaporize anything they can get a good shot at. But this is a war we have trouble fighting because we try not to kil civilians and our enemies hide behind civlians.

Politics arent keeping us from bombing cities, our morals are. Politics are whats keeping us there so long.

I find it ironic that the Baathists and foriegn fighters want us out but by continuing to fight us they keep us there.

new topics

top topics

join