It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Times joins Reuters with fraudulent photos of it's own

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Kinda scary with technology today. If you can't trust the supposed unbiased press, who can you trust?
The scary thing is that it's obvious the media in this country has a political agenda and the hubris to think that lies are justified if it results in their political party being in power.
Trust no one...especially the press.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
What if the news media or parts of it are seeking to create a mindset in a great deal of us that would make us look twice at everything we SEE being reported from Lebanon and Israel?

What if they want YOU to be able to say.. "It's a fake" everytime shocking images of war are made public?

[edit on 9-8-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   
UM_Gazz...good point. It has the same effect, no matter which side's story they are misrepresenting, or what their ultimate goal is...to make everything twisted, or to make everything questionable. We still get left with nothing to trust.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Forgive me once again Valhall, but if I may... Could you please point out anywhere in my statements in this thread, a simple quote would do, in where I mentioned at all or even hinted at the belief that I think that Israel and the US are responsible "all the evil in this world" ?

As a matter of fact, I am on the opposite side of the fence. I would love nothing more but for more countries to share our beloved rights and freedoms by joining and expanding our union, but preferably in a more peaceful and economical way.

Aside from that, the situation that is happening to innocent civilians now in Lebanon can only be described as dreadful, and their agony very very real. A simple editorial mistake in a Western newspaper halfway across the globe does not make a photo illustration depicting this harsh reality a compelte farce. My comments was mearly plea to the author of this submission to understand this view. Once again, I do ask for your forgiveness for whatever reason you decided to lash out and attack my charcter, and hope in the future we can pursue a less hostile manner of dialogue for our opinions.

That is my simple opinion on that matter, and feel it is a credible and respectable opinion.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
No, I won't. I'll just refer you and any one who is interested in your post history.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think it will all become apparent then.

You have an agenda that you are going to push no matter what. And I personally find that disgusting.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I see, well anyone who wishes to see a more complete post history is welcome to click on my name, it will also show you what I have submitted. I do not necessarily undertsand why you decided to hijack this thread from its original topic Valhall and make me the center of attention, but if you wish I deserve such attention I guess I feel somewhat flattered. I did not realize I could have such a profound effect on such a respectable member of ATS. Of course referring people to my post history is not going to resolve any conflicts you are having against me, and I would prefer if we could resolve that diplomatically through private U2U's instead of continuing to hijack this thread for your highlights of my opinions on other topics.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

What if they want YOU to be able to say.. "It's a fake" everytime shocking images of war are made public?

[edit on 9-8-2006 by UM_Gazz]

Interesting point, kind of make you wonder if that is the desirable effect after all.

So we stop trusting the media or what they report.

Interesting, is nothing wrong with questioning everything but also it brings the issue if keeping the people confuse will help hide the truth.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
DYepes,

My problem with what you have done in this thread neither is a "derailment" (considering that your comments were to try to say that the original post was without merit) nor is it some personal issue with you - we have no relation. It has to do with your ilk - not you personally. You are exhibiting the traits of the group of people who will attack anything that doesn't fit well with what you're married to, even when the attack goes against the best of society. This thread was started to report an instance of the media selling a falsehood (whether intentional or not) to the public. You seem to have no problem with that since rectifying this lie would not paint the U.S. or Israel in a bad light.

That's hypocritical. I don't care who you are...that's hypocritical. And this argument I have with you on this point right now, is very important to this topic.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Just for starters, I never once said this error, whether intentional or not, was an excusable act or backed up that error. My original opinions were directed at dbates closing remarks on his beliefs that the very illustration of the scene in the photos may have very well been a setup, only because a Western paper on the other side of the globe typed up a mistaken limited line commentary on the very scene being shown. Especially considering you are making these remarks without any factual basis to back them up dbates. I would believe someone who has earned the responsibilites you currently hold would have a little more class.

I seriously doubt anyone in those photos were thinking about how Western journalists were going to be identifying their situation if they even realized they were being photographed. It appears their goal is to identify and rescue any survivors and recover the remains of those killed and injured.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Talk about overreacting! It does appear that some members posting on this thread have an agenda, but the finger is pointing in the wrong direction.

Get a grip, people! It's apparent that many if not most of you are blinded by your bias favoring Israel. Take a long thoughtful look at what you've written here. Maybe your filters will weaken just long enough for a glimmer of truth.

The original post on this thread proclaims that photo 6 shows a "worker switch roles and play dead while what appears to be staged fires burn in the background."

Oh, I see now. The unprotected local citizens who are on the scene of a building which has just been completely reduced to rubble by the explosions of Israeli aerial bombing are staging a scene to make Israel look bad. And Israel bombing of this sort does not start fires. Nasty, scheming, deceitful Arabs!! I suggest you all go take a cold shower and see a shrink.

The original caption under the supposedly "offending" photo recites that:

The mayor of Tyre said that in the worst-hit areas, bodies were still buried under the rubble, and he appealed to the Israelis to allow government authorities to pull them out.

The revised caption recites that:

"A man was aided after he was injured in the aftermath of the attack. (This caption has been revised because initially it described the situation imprecisely: nytimes.com/corrections)."

Where's the fraud? It's in your blinking biased imagination and nowhere else!

The original caption does not say that the man who is lying down in photo 6 is dead or that he was killed or injured by the bomb which struck that building. That man is plainly shown in photos 3 & 4 to be among the people working in the rubble. Where do you muster the audacity to claim that photo 6 fraudulently implies that this man was killed by the blast at that location? It does nothing of the sort.

This thread is an example of mass hysteria. A small mass, mind you, but mass hysteria none-the-less.

Your assertion that this photo sequence shows fraud on the part of the New York Times is a crock of laughable, ludicrous, nonsense. Have you lost all capacity to think rationally and see what's right in front of your eyes?

Do you all really believe that Israel's indiscriminate bombing of civilian neighborhoods, roads, and infrastructure is not maiming and burying innocent men, women, and children? Israel's actions are the product of its proclaimed attitude that a million Arabs are not worth the fingernail of one Israeli. Give it a rest. You make me ill.

My good will and sympathy toward Israel has been severely damaged by its actions in Lebanon. Israel is committing barbaric atrocities daily. That it is doing so by use of modern military equipment supplied by the U.S. doesn't lessen the evil of its actions.

The current Israeli regime is without a doubt Israel's own worst enemy. What they are doing in Lebanon goes so far beyond a reasonable civilized measured response that they deserve worldwide censure. The people of Israel would be well served by a top to bottom regime change. But, then, who knows whether the replacements would be any better.

Israel's supporters among civilized people are jumping ship in droves. I'm ashamed of our government's role in Israel's current atrocities and the U.S.'s failure to rein Israel in. This really reveals the cold hearted inhumanity of the people in power here today.

May God forgive us for what our leaders are doing, with our passive consent, through their agent Israel in the Middle East. I pray for the welfare of all those on both sides who are there under compulsion or unable to escape to safety.

[edit on 8/10/2006 by dubiousone]

[edit on 8/10/2006 by dubiousone]

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Oooh this is a fun picture..

The guy, from picture 4, thats found "laying down" seemed to get himself in quite a pickle!

Let's take a closer look...

Notice the large concrete block resting on the metal bar. Notice the placement of this man that laid down (or fell?). The man would have had to kneel down and crawl in backwards through the cables to achieve this picture. The man couldnt have fallen down onto the cable (blue arrows) and have it under his arm/waist due to the large concrete stone resting on the very bar this questionable cable wraps around.

Look at the enviroment and setup of the body in the picture... theres no possible way this man fell, or "laid down" to achieve that placement.

This man crawled into the cables and feigned death... and our photographer probably knew it.

[edit on 8/10/2006 by QuietSoul]

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   
DYepes,

Thanks for the u2u's explaining your position. I think where I was disconnecting with you is that I view ANY dishonesty in media coverage (including staged pictures) as abhorrent - mainly because it is the largest barrier to getting facts of a situation we have to overcome. So when the media tries to taint the coverage of a story by placing knowingly faked and "emotional" pictures (or ones that attempt to show the situation as more dramatic, like the faked smoke one) it lights my fire - no matter which side it favors.

To the person above insinuating my anger at this situation because of some "Israeli favoritism", you actually haven't read many of my posts then, because I find both sides to be in disgusting contempt over the situation, and I certainly do not favor what Israel is doing in Lebanon at this time. I know a greater portion of my comments on this matter have been made in my blog versus here in the discussion threads, but nonetheless, I think I've made my position clear.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   
So far this seems to be 1 single photographer thats the cullprit selling photo's to NYT, Reuters and AP.

A certain Mr. Hajj.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by QuietSoul
Look at the enviroment and setup of the body in the picture... theres no possible way this man fell, or "laid down" to achieve that placement.

This man crawled into the cables and feigned death... and our photographer probably knew it.

He's also too worried about losing his hat to be seriously injured.

It's very obvious to all but those who are blinded by their own biased opinions to grasp on to anything that shows Israel in a bad light. I really didn't start this to promote one side of the war or the other. It was intended to show lying and deceit in the media. News Flash for those who don't get it. This is about the New York Times knowingly publishing these photos to deceive it's readers.

Some people come to this board to find the truth. Others are here to find proof they are right and any evidence to the contrary is discarded as a myth or a lie. I honestly thought that everyone would be able to agree that these pictures were obviously a sham. It appears that too many of us are already too blinded by our own opinions to see past our nose.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
So far this seems to be 1 single photographer thats the cullprit selling photo's to NYT, Reuters and AP.

A certain Mr. Hajj.

These photos were taken by Tyler Hicks of the New York Times. Hajj had nothing to do with this story.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 08:19 AM
link   
What I dont understand is why are all these faked photos coming from inside an area with plenty of carnage already? Why are they faking photos when the real thing is all around them?

What are the logical conclusions that come from all this fakery? That there is NO carnage in Lebanon and it's all photoshopped? Is any one suggesting there are no fires burning or dead people in Lebanon? Not even the Israeli government would contest that there are dead bodies and fires burning in Lebanese towns and cities.

It all seems rather fishy to me.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Is any one suggesting there are no fires burning or dead people in Lebanon? Not even the Israeli government would contest that there are dead bodies and fires burning in Lebanese towns and cities.

It all seems rather fishy to me.

You got a point, we are now debating so much what is real and what is staged that we are completely ignoring the fact that it is destruction, chaos and death in Lebanon from the attacks.

Perhaps the PO on the assault of Lebanon by Israel was causing such a problem that something needed to be done to deviate the public from the realities of the results of war.

Interesting.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
subz, no one has said that there is no carnage in Lebanon and it would benefit your points better if you did not invent such charges.

What is being questioned however, is why the need to "fake people out". The scenario depicted simply did not happen. The original caption as dbates correctly pointed out talked about people dead and buried under debris which this man was NOT. In other words the scenario presented was false.

How you decide that means someone is saying there's no carnage in Lebanon is absolutely beyond me.

Admit that there was fraud committed in the presentation of this story by the mainstream media and move on. After all, that is the topic here, not whether there's any damage in Lebanon. No one has denied that.

The topic which has been proven flawlessly is that someone lied and misguided the public with a series of pictures (either staged or otherwise) and misleading captions.

[edit on 8-10-2006 by Djarums]

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I have to wonder if this is the same building where 40 people were supposed to have been killed and then later that number was reduced to 1?

I have no doubt that there is damage and casualties in Lebanon as a result of Israel's attacks. I am sorry to say that some of those casualties probably are innocent civilians. What I am doubting is the numbers of these casualties. There is a media blitz trying to portray Israel as attacking indescriminatly without reguard to civilian casualties. If there was the carnage that the media is trying to portray there would be no need to stage sensationalized photos.

There used to be a time when the news media prided itself on its accuracy and unbias. I am sorry to say that those days are long over. Tabloid media is the order of the day now. Face it the addage "If it bleeds it leads" has never been more accurate than now. Sensationalism attracts viewers and/or readers. Who cares if it is accurate as long as it attracts viewers or readers? If we get called on it we apologize and fire some scapegoat.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Had a u2u just now from a member about my being hateful to DYepes. My apologies for being caustic. I did something to DYepes that I hate having done to me (which also makes me hyprocrital). I said things based on me trying to discern D's intent. That's not my place. Nor is it anyone else's place to try discern mine. That's usually where worthless debates ensue here, and that's what I caused in this matter. I stand corrected.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join