It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Ants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2002 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Gay Ants!!! ROCK!!!!

How 'not-so-macho' ants keep on mating
A type of not-so-macho male ant stays out of trouble by wearing lady's perfume and acting like a queen, scientists have revealed.
The insects avoid confrontation by smelling like a female, which allows them to live peaceably among their violent nestmates.
Male ants of the tropical species Cardiocondyla obscurior come in two varieties - wingless and aggressive or winged and docile, said the researchers.
Both compete for access to virgin queens in the nest. Wingless "ergatoid" males are armed with sabre-like mandibles and fight to the death until only one remains.
Winged males, on the other hand, have weak jaws and enjoy a much more peaceful existence.
After birth, they stay in the nest for a week or two before flying off in search of mates outside. Surprisingly, while in the nest they mate just as often as their wingless brethren, but never get hurt.
Sylvia Cremer, from the University of Regensburg in Germany, and colleagues, found their secret of survival was an ability to produce scent chemicals very similar to those of the queens.
The wingless males not only avoided attacking the "ladyboy" ants, but seemed to find them sexually arousing. On numerous occasions they were seen trying to mate with the winged males.
"Our behavioural observations indicate that young winged males (one to five days old) are as attractive as young virgin queens to ergatoid males," the researchers reported in the journal Nature.
"This toleration of winged males and attempts at homosexual mating with them can be explained by the chemical resemblance of winged males and virgin queens in their bouquet of cuticular hydrocarbons on the body surface, which are important for communication in social insects."
Story filed: 19:40 Wednesday 30th October 2002

posted on Nov, 1 2002 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Gay behavior has been observed in other insect species, dogs, cats, dolphins, and even in primates. This is why I believe that homosexuality in humans, in most cases anyway, is not chosen. It is sexual orientation, not sexual preference.

Ants do seem to be extremely intelligent. I mean, they have complex societies and 'rooms' designed for specific purposes, such as defense and food storage, don't they? I don't know anything abot how ants communicate. Do ants have a complex system of communication? If so, then this means that ants were civilized before humans even existed

posted on Nov, 1 2002 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I knew that RAID was going to be usefull

posted on Nov, 1 2002 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I know what you're saying, necro

posted on Nov, 2 2002 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Male houseflies have been observed trying to mate with other male houseflies as well...But it's because they lack the brainpower to tell the difference until they're on top of one another. This goes hand-in-hand (so to speak) of the observance that male houseflies have also been known to attempt mating with a spot on a piece of paper...

This week only, I'm selling flyswatters for 25 cents (US)...

[Edited on 2-11-2002 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Nov, 2 2002 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Are these ants allowed to marry? And if not, why not? And should they be? And are any of them some of your best friends?
Are there any lesbian ants?
What is the Christian perspective?

posted on Nov, 2 2002 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Are these ants allowed to marry? And if not, why not? And should they be? And are any of them some of your best friends?
Are there any lesbian ants?
What is the Christian perspective?

posted on Nov, 2 2002 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer
Male houseflies have been observed trying to mate with other male houseflies as well...But it's because they lack the brainpower to tell the difference until they're on top of one another. This goes hand-in-hand (so to speak) of the observance that male houseflies have also been known to attempt mating with a spot on a piece of paper...

aHA!
I KNEW it!

posted on Nov, 2 2002 @ 09:30 PM
link   
HUUMMMMMM.....(rubbing chin and pondering)
It's sounds as if it's a male thing. Even going so far as to try and have sex with a spot on a piece of paper!

Sounds like one of those nights when you spent too long at the bar, had way too much to drink, it's 3 am and you haven't been able to attract a "take home date" yet!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

posted on Nov, 2 2002 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Well, flies can't ingest solid foods, only liquids. This may be the cause of why they spend so much time on the top of the bar...

join