It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hank Johnson defeats Cynthia McKinney in Georgia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 03:24 AM
link   
A grand jury may have been reluctant to indict former US Rep. Cynthia McKinney, but voters were not in yesterday's runoff election for Georgia's seat to represent the 4th Congressional District.

In an election where many voters said that her altercation with a Capitol Hill police officer last spring was the last straw, challenger Hank Johnson easily defeated McKinney and will represent the Democratic ticket in November.

McKinney refused to recognize her opponent by name in her concession speech, which also included her rendition of a song by Pink and criticism of the news media and electronic voting machines.

This is the second time in the past three election years that McKinney has lost her seat. She lost the first runoff in 2002, reclaimed the nod in 2004, and lost again this year. Voter turnout was light.

www.mercurynews.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 03:32 AM
link   
There's hope for the American electorate yet--good for Georgia.

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9-8-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 03:39 AM
link   
The thing is, voters crossed party lines to vote against her. Her district is very heavily Democrat, and Johnson is the favorite against any Republican contender in the fall, but it just goes to show that dissatisfaction was widespread for her antics.

Plus, she rated near the bottom in effectiveness. In her 12 years in Congress, she only had one bill that she sponsored that passed. And that was for the re-naming of a post office.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Hopefully whoever replaces her can do a better job of representing that particular district.

Blaming the media, and of course, the voting machines, I wonder how often we'll hear that particular refrain this fall and summer as, hopefully, more and more current Congress-critters become unemployed? I guessing more than once.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Ding Dong the Wicked Witch is dead...In congress anyway I do not know about Johnson's Politics BUT I do know he looks and acts more respectable than his predecessor EVER did.......

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Don't think she'll stay down.
Cynthia had her seat taken before and fought her way back to the top.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I think she's run her course, I can't believe anyone would vote her in again...she's done nothing but be an embarassment for her district and the entire country.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Another one that I am happy to see go! Out with the old, in with the new(er)! I have this feeling that she is going to cause a stink over those voting machines that got messed up briefly, and I wouldn't even put it past her camp to have messed with those machines in order to have a reason to start a ruckus! What's sad is that at the beginning I would defend this one woman, almost to the point of being completely illogical in my defense. Tired of it, happy she is gone, and happy the people in Georgia bumped her out.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
She's already cried about the media, saying she didn't get enough coverage. But she didn't show up at 2 televised candidates debates, so whose fault is that? Hers!

Niteboy82, your avatars give me the willies! Scary!

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
She's already cried about the media, saying she didn't get enough coverage. But she didn't show up at 2 televised candidates debates, so whose fault is that? Hers!

Niteboy82, your avatars give me the willies! Scary!

Migt be hers, unless the white police men came and prevented her from entering because she was black. Which she very well may think.

Glad to see this racist gone.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I saw some of her post-election comments. She did not look like a happy camper!

In one, she accused the media of scratching one of her bodyguards. I wonder if it was with a cellphone to the chest?

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 06:38 AM
link   
From what I have seen and read about Johnson he is an intelligent and responsible
man. Although I don't agree with all his politics, his maturity will be a welcome
element to the elections and the people of Georgia will have better candidates to
choose from on election day this time.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I saw some of her post-election comments. She did not look like a happy camper!

She just lost a campaign that was largely funded by people from California and by
OVERSEAS contributors. Now she has to get on the phone and call them to say
that she blew it. I wonder what her excuse will be to them as to why she didn't
bother to show up at the debates.

For a list of her campaign contributors go to this thread -
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 8/10/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
You know, FF, what bothers me is that she and members of her staff were complaining that her opponent got a lot of donations from whites and Republicans. As if they were a dirty word or something.

I think that Georgia will be much better represented by Johnson, although I, like you, do not agree with all his politics.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   
The post election meltdown is what has me amused:

newsbusters.org...

If a long-time member of Congress lost a primary battle for re-election, and his/her campaign entourage shouted racial epithets at reporters and about her opponent after defeat, do you think this would have been on the evening news? Well, if said member of Congress was a Democrat, the answer apparently is “no,” for not one of the broadcast networks felt it was newsworthy to report Tuesday evening's events involving Rep. Cynthia McKinney (D-Georgia).

For those that haven’t heard, McKinney’s campaign entourage now includes members of the New Black Panthers. After her primary defeat Tuesday to Hank Johnson for Georgia’s 4th Congressional district, some of these folks went on a bit of a rampage referring to white reporters as “crackers,” calling her opponent an “Uncle Tom,” blaming her loss on Israel, and shouting anti-Semitic epithets at a Jewish reporter .

Yet, not one of the network evening news broadcasts bothered to report this event. Of course, all three networks began their shows with Sen. Joe Lieberman’s loss in Connecticut.

www.11alive.com...

First there was a scuffle between McKinney's bodyguards and an 11Alive news photographer, then there were remarks made to a cable network news crew, in which members of McKinney's entourage allegedly made shocking anti-Semitic remarks.

The Anti-Defamation League says they want to hear from McKinney and they want her to disavow the anti-Semitic remarks reported by the network crew, remarks that recall the scandal that cost her the election in 2002.

“We’re seeing some Cynthia McKinney supporters are resorting to anti-Semitic and racist language and again blaming the Jews for her loss in this campaign,” said ADL southeast Associate Director Shelley Rose.

Hopefully the Democratic party will have the intelligence and resolve toru, not walk away from Cynthia McKinney.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I heard a cut of those remarks on the radio this afternoon. Racist and anti-semitic. To paraphrase: "You got what you wanted. There's your Uncle Tom (Johnson), go talk to him." "Put on your yarmulke".

If McKinney has any integrity, she would disavow these statements and distance herself from those who said the. But, as happened with the Greg Palast/her website incident, she will not. She is not a leader; any leader worth their salt would accept responsibility for the actions of her staff.

It's no wonder the ADL wants to hear from her. My guess is, she will ignore their request.

[edit on 10-8-2006 by jsobecky]

new topics

top topics

join