It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea claimed it has captured an unmanned U.S. submersible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Here it is;

The small vessel was captured during a reconnaissance mission in waters off North Korea's eastern city of Hamhung, said the Choson Sinbo newspaper, which is published by a pro-North Korean association linked to the Pyongyang government.

The newspaper report on its Web site, which is monitored in Seoul, was accompanied by a picture purported to be of the black torpedo-shaped U.S. vessel. There were no further details as to when or how North Korea obtained it.

abcnews.go.com...

There are a lot of papers that reported this, but I can not find a single picture of the submersible.

Even though most publications do list the source, they do not link to the actual story and do not list the source of the picture.

I looked on the original web site and found nothing;

www.korea-np.co.jp...

www.korea-np.co.jp...

www1.korea-np.co.jp...

If anybody finds the pict please post it, I'm curios to see what it is.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I also would like to see the picture as I’m a little skeptical of this story. The USN does operates small mine hunting and mapping AUV’s so who knows, but I doubt whatever North Korea has is one of ours.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Prick might use this as an act of war to stir things up, what a prick!

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Have to wait and see a picture of it. If they dont eve release one it means its just internal propaganda to suppor the lies the NK's are fed.

We'll see.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 03:10 AM
link   
the LMRS fits the profile of a torpedo spaced recon submarine

www.fas.org...

Heres a picture

[edit on 9-8-2006 by chinawhite]

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Have to wait and see a picture of it. If they dont eve release one it means its just internal propaganda to suppor the lies the NK's are fed.

Well that's the point, every re-print of the story clearly states that a picture WAS released and posted on the original web site, yet not a single English re-print links to the original press release.

I for one do not read Japanese or Korean, so the only way we can find out is if somebody who does read either one, goes on the web site listed and pulls up the original story.

Anybody?

edit:missed a bracket

[edit on 9-8-2006 by iskander]

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Picture found here.

Looks a lot like a training torpedo the Navy uses in exercises.

Typical NK propaganda.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Great job on that find darksided. I poked around the site and gave up.

USN stated that they didn't loose anything, and I'll keep an eye out to how this one turns out.

Obvious question, what type of torpedo is it?

If it is in fact a training torpedo, what is it's range?

When were any type of exercises conducted in the area and used such torpedoes?

How did the Koreans actually got it?

If it was an exercise, given a sufficient range of the torpedo, it most likely lost track and just beached somewhere on the coast.

If it did, when? Koreans could have collected it at any time, and held it as an ace for a special moment.

Again, if it was an exercise, how close was it to Korean waters, and would the torpedo reach the beach?

If not, could it have been recovered from the ocean floor?

The questions sure do pile up quickly, and more likely then not we'll never know what actually happened.

We'll see.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Kim Jong Il was probably out fishing...

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Saw the picture on the web site.

The fish in the picture looks too big to be a MK 46/Mk 50, and it looks too small to be a Mk 48.

Anyone familiar with torpedos want to hazard a guess?

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR

I'm thinking you'll have a very short membership duration here.

As for the story - it's entirely possible, the "torpedo" shown could be launched to hover around the entry/exit to a military installation to sniff for sound profiles.

Best bet is that it malfunctioned and was either spotted as it porpoised out of the water or drove itself onto some rocks or a local beach.

[edit on 9-8-2006 by Retseh]

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
You guys are joking about this torpedo picture right???

Orangetom

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR

Oh man, no one can say you don't speak your mind!

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Nice to see people immediately jump to the conclusion that it's bull#. I would've thought a board about UFO's would encourage thinking beyond your own countries propaganda or biases. Anyway, I just saw the real thing and it is definately not a torpedo. I have some pictures of the sensor array among other I might get around to uploading if there's still an interest.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
internet, photos will be great!

Post them up and good job man!

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by internet
Nice to see people immediately jump to the conclusion that it's bull#.

i havent seen any proof that its true. A north korean newspaper/propoganda machine that provides sketchy details about a unmanned sumbmersible spy ship/torpedo but doesnt say where or when it was captured isnt exactly what id call reliable evidence.

I would've thought a board about UFO's would encourage thinking beyond your own countries propaganda or biases.

you should do more looking around and less talking if thats what you think this board is about. this board has 49 different forums, 1 is on ufo's.

justin

EDIT

bull#
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 26-8-2006 by justin_barton3]

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   

i havent seen any proof that its true. A north korean newspaper/propoganda machine that provides sketchy details about a unmanned sumbmersible spy ship/torpedo but doesnt say where or when it was captured isnt exactly what id call reliable evidence.[/quote

Well that's simple. Navy stated that it will release an official statement on the incident.

We're all still waiting, while you are apparently jumping to conclusions.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Take a close look at that .."torpedo" in the article under "picture found here."

What is immediately noticable is the lack of a shroud over the propellor. This means propellor noises are more noticable/audible.
For effeciency and quietness modern torpedos are shrouded over the propellors.

This set up will be more easily detectable than an unshrouded propellor....not stealthy.. and therefore not suited to close in intelligence work...

Contrast this torpedo with the photo of the one being dropped off the boat crane by Chinawhite. THe Yellow and blue one...notice the shroud on the tail end.

That is ..unless you want someone to notice it ...in order to test thier reactions...how they operate ..how they respond.

I do agree with one or many of the posters who state that this is a propaganda article and picture. Standard M1A issue propaganda.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Good catch orangetown. Now that I look at it closer, it looks a lot like a NIXIE torpedo decoy.

top topics

join