It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Cell Phone May Soon Get You A Speeding Ticket

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Cell phones are always in constant contact with cell towers, and now a company (IntelliOne Technologies) is offering, "A new service that measures radio signals beamed between your cell phone and cell phone towers could soon help speed up your commute."

Cell Phones Monitored for Better Traffic Updates

The company's technology takes advantage of the fact that wireless devices in motion communicate constantly with multiple cell towers. Wireless carriers use this data to maintain and optimize their networks, but this information can also be converted into speed and travel time information for any roadway that has cell phone coverage.

IntelliOne says its results are accurate to within 3 mph and updated every second, allowing more accurate readings than current collection methods—such as in-road detectors, cameras and helicopters.

Right now they are testing it and trying to market this for traffic reports.

So, is it just a matter of time before you get a traffic ticket in the mail because your cell phone told on you?

Apparently they can tell what road the signal is coming from (GPS), will there also come a day ( hmm, maybe due to Homeland Security) when the government will record all the signals from cell phones to be able track a person back to the scene of a crime. Cell phones automatically sending these signals whether the owner wants his cell phone to or not.

Cell phones sure look like they will be the tool of "Big Brother" in the future.

[edit on 8/8/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   
doesent look very likely to me. they would need a warrant as its not public information unless you ask them to make it public.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 04:41 AM
link   
anything that can be used against you will be used...

all in the name of security, watch the speed limits fall to increase revenue. sad state of affairs, this can only end in a catastrophy.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 04:51 AM
link   
This tech. has been around for some time, however a number of companies are starting to become "creative" in this area. I was asked to become an investor using this sort of tech. last year (I'm in oz).

For a single phone, mulitple towers can receive a signal, however the tower that receives the strongest signal is usually used in comms.

They can give an approximate location of your whereabouts based on triangulation:

Three towers are needed to do this and they monitor the signal strength from each tower. Based on this, they can give an approximate location of your whereabouts.

Phones allowing speeding tickets?

Not with this tech.

GPS maybe...but it wouldn't be done due to the bandwidth requirements.

Cheers

JS

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 04:54 AM
link   
What happens if you are in a helicopter / ultralight plane / accidentally left your phone on whilst on a flight?

You are in deep doggy doo?

Take care,
- Naz

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 04:57 AM
link   
They cant get you a speeding ticket. Why? Well because i could be a passenger in a car with another 3 passengers and if the owner of the vehicle is driving, would that mean we all get speeding tickets. i think not d00d.

it's too high tech and could not be implemented properly. btw. maybe i let a d0d borrow my car for the day, or my car phone. gimme a break.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 05:35 AM
link   
This is tottally never gonna be used.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Actually the cops verified the wherabouts and the times he was there, of the bouncer/killer in NYC who allegedly killed that college student awhile back... it was talked about on MSNBC.... Pretty sure they had to present a search warrant to the cell phone company. It would be really easy to do in NYC because there are thousands of cell towers in very small vicinities.

top topics

join