It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

lost between OV-1 and OV-10

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Something I want to ask as the thread has been revealed. Where is models from OV-2 to OV-9? Have they existed? If your answer is yes ,please show me.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 03:02 AM
link   
2 mins on google image search would give you these answers

Grumman OV1 Mohawk, is a military observation aircraft designed for battlefield surveillance for the US Army (the only airplane designed solely for the army since the services split in 1947). The prototype (YAO-1AF) first flew on April 14, 1959, and the aircraft served in the U.S. Army from 1959 to 1996.

Apart from performing traditional visual and photo-reconnaissance, the Mohawk could be equipped with SLAR (Side-Looking Airborne Radar) or IR (Infrared) sensors

Air & Space Magazine article on OV 1 Mohawk

GlobalSecurity Page

Crew. Two.
Role. Battlefield surveillance.
Armament. Normally unarmed (capable of carrying minigun, bombs, and rockets).
Dimensions. Length: 41 ft (12.5 m). Span: 48 ft (14.64 m).

WEFT DESCRIPTION
Wings. Mid-mounted and equally tapered with blunt tips. Positive slant.
Engine(s). Two turboprops mounted on top of and extending beyond wings’leading edges.
Fuselage. Club-shaped and tapered to rear section. Blunt nose. Two-seat, stepped-up cockpit. When installed, SLAR is prominently exposed beneath the right side and forward part of the body.
Tail. Triple fins are equally tapered. Outer fins extend above and below the flat. Center fin appears taller. Flats are tapered with a positive slant.

Rockwell International OV10 Bronco, is a turboprop-driven light attack and cargo aircraft. It was developed in the 1960s as a special aircraft for COIN (counter insurgency) combat, developed for USMC, US Navy (Light Attack Squadron) and USAF (in forward air control role). Although it is a fixed-wing aircraft, its mission capabilities resemble a fast, long-range, inexpensive and reliable ultra-heavy attack helicopter. It flies at 350 mph (560 km/h), carries 3 tons of external munitions, and easily loiters for 3 or more hours. It is prized for its versatility, redundancy, load, wide field of view, short-field ability, low operational costs and ease of maintenance. In most cases, it flies acceptably on a single engine. In service, it was used primarily a light attack and Forward Air Controller aircraft, and rarely if ever as a transport.

Crew. Two.
Role. Armed reconnaissance; forward air control; quick-response, ground-support.
Armament. Machine guns, rockets, bombs.
Dimensions. Length: 41 ft, 7 in (12.70 m). Span: 40 ft (12.20 m).

WEFT DESCRIPTION
Wings. High-mounted and rectangular with square tips.
Engine(s). Two turboprops in booms under wings.
Fuselage. Short and oval with glassed-in, stepped canopy.
Tail. Twin tail booms with swept-back fin on each boom. Rectangular tail flat that connects the tail fins at the top.

GlobalSecurity Page

Wikipedia detailed info on OV10 Bronco

They are actually quite different.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Thanx for your reply and your answer is really detailed.
Then where are models from OV-2 to OV-9?

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I may have this terribly wrong, (and someone will certainly correct me if so), but I always thought the "?V" designation such as OV or AV was a reference to VTOL/STOL capability so the "missing" designations would be for other projects not necessarily with OV designations.

This would explain where the others are.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 08:09 AM
link   
The 'V' designator was applied to VTOLS and STOL types, not just VTOL.

The complete type list, omitting sub variants, is as follows;

Grumman OV-1 Mohawk
De Havilland CV-2 Caribou
Bell XV-3
Lockheed XV-4 Hummingbird
Ryan XV-5 Vertifan
Hawker Siddely XV-6 Kestrel
De Havilland CV-7 Buffalo
Hawker Siddeley AV-8 Harrier
Hughes XV-9
Rockwell OV-10 Bronco
Parsons XV-11 Marvel
Rockwell XFV-12
13 -OMITTED
V-14 - rescinded, refused by Bell for the next one.
Bell XV-15
Hawker Siddeley/McDonnell Douglas AV-16
XV-17 - CLASSIFIED
De Havilland UV-18 Twin Otter
V-19 reserved 1977, cancelled 1980
Pilatus UV-20 Chirichacua
PV-21 PACES Airship project
Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey
UV-23 Skytrader

So there you have it emile, apart from the secret ones.

[edit on 9-8-2006 by waynos]

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Waynos:

I think the designation "V" should be used as some meaning like "F" that in US militery force means Fighter. But you reveal the list in which have both UK and US aircraft.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by emile
Waynos:

I think the designation "V" should be used as some meaning like "F" that in US militery force means Fighter. But you reveal the list in which have both UK and US aircraft.

The V does have a meaning emile, it means 'VTOL or STOL' as I said (and 'timeless test' before me).

Don't worry about the list including UK as well as US aircraft (and Canadian, mustn't forget them
) as the US gives a designation to all aircraft it uses, wehter it designed them or not, the EE Canberra became the B-57 in US operation remember, and in todays US forces you will find the AV-8B (Harrier) T-45 (BAE Hawk) and VH-71 (EH101 Merlin) amongst others.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
thanx, you posted a valuable list for me

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by emile

the "v" in ov 10,stands for vertical. indicating the wings. ov=observation, vertical. like ah 1 cobra, the ah=attack helicopter.

new topics

top topics

join