It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Members' Suggestions for DISC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   

The Deny Ignorance Steering Committee (DISC) consists of concerned members who implement ideas that will improve the quality of board life.

We are initiating this thread as a means for members to offer suggestions to DISC.

Do you have an idea that might make everyone's experience on ATS more productive, informative, and enjoyable?

Let us know.

Are you willing to work to have these ideas realized?

Let us know.

Let us know by responding to this thread. We will review the ideas presented here, and consider how they can best be used to improve ATS.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 01:19 AM
link   
A thread rating system might be nice.

Could post the top 10 to 20 threads on the front page for all visitors and members alike to view. It would draw more attention to the front page that I never go to, plus it would help us keep focused on the more pertinent topics on ATS/BTS/PTS/WATS.

Not to mention it would be an interesting statistic on what kinds of thread topics yield the most responses, and the most controversy.

Just my thoughts.

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

The Deny Ignorance Steering Committee (DISC) consists of concerned members who implement ideas that will improve the quality of board life.

We are initiating this thread as a means for members to offer suggestions to DISC.

Do you have an idea that might make everyone's experience on ATS more productive, informative, and enjoyable?

Let us know.

Are you willing to work to have these ideas realized?

Let us know.

Let us know by responding to this thread. We will review the ideas presented here, and consider how they can best be used to improve ATS.

I'd like to suggest that a more effective search engine be set up. I'm not technologically capable of it, myself, but would be willing to help collect data bases for it.

This would facilitate finding threads that already exist before entering one and have that message come up that another one with the subject exists and blooey, your post is gone. I've used the search engine here and it has not found the thread I needed to know existed and did lose a couple of thread starter posts after working for a considerable time on them.

Also, when looking for subjects, I've become frustrated when posts and threads are returned with no clue where the subject I'm looking for is actually posted or even if it really is or the search engine just spit something up.

Anyway, I think that would help the quality of threads, prevent dupes, and help the posters out enormously.

By the way, I suggested a way to find our own posts or a particular posters entries and see that it now exists in the member list, so thanks for that help.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
we had thread rating

but that only allows vindictive people to get petty vengance.

RLY

whats the lysergo-solution?

BRING BACK THE POLLS!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Taking a spin on the rating idea, what if members could vote a thread into the newsletter?

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Taking a spin on the rating idea, what if members could vote a thread into the newsletter?

And to further spin that, what if members could vote a thread onto the homepages of ATS/PTS/BTS?

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

This is an excellent idea. But I should point out that the most replies or views isn't what I would necessarily use to count as a vote. Perhaps using threads have that garnered the most "applause" from mods. Using threads that have had the most applause from mods would give ATS members a glimpse at a thread that has provoked interest, had posts that were, for whatever reason, exceptional enough to gain applause and all the while, the anonymous nature of "applause" is still maintained.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
we had thread rating

but that only allows vindictive people to get petty vengance.

How, when all of the members could vote for the posts to be set on the front page? Those with the most votes get put on the front page. Could even do a combination of criteria, such as post count over say 100 gets immediate front page. However, number of votes for front page posting would supercede the post count criteria, and then be posted in it's place.

Might make it a bit more thorough.

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Borg, I figured you mean a rating like say 1-10. We had something like this, and people with their petty agendas would vote threads down just because it didn't go with their view, or they happened to have beef with the thread creator.

However if you were meaning just a simple yes vote, such as (click here to reccomend this post) type deal, that'd work much better.

I was just speaking from previous exprience I witnessed here on ATS a few years ago and Admin decided to do away with the "thread rating" just because of how petty some people can be.

I wasn't trying to knock your idea or anything bud.

Actually I like your idea a lot better.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Instead of a thread rating, you can "vote" it up, without being able to vote it down. Sort of like a Way Above for Individual threads. Basically the same way submission in ATSNN work now, perhaps even having a separate page for "Hall of Fame" threads or some such. I can think of a few that deserve that title.

[edit on 10-8-2006 by sardion2000]

CX

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Has an ATS e-magaizne ever been discussed? Maybe monthly?

I'd love to be able to print off a copy and take it out with me on my travels, and it would be better than half the efforts you get in the shops these days.

CX.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX

I'd love to be able to print off a copy and take it out with me on my travels, and it would be better than half the efforts you get in the shops these days.

CX.

There is a weekly newsletter.

CX

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Originally posted by CX

CX.

There is a weekly newsletter.

How can i check that i get these in my email, i'm not sure i've been seeing these in my inbox.

CX.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I've signed up for this weekly newsletter, but it never arrives.

Actually, I just looked again, and I cant remember where I said I wanted it. Can anyone tell me where to sign up for the monthly newsletter?

And yeah, that ATS search engine doesn't work anymore, I don't think. Well, not for me.

But I've found that google one to be great.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 06:22 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It hasn't been published in a while. Looks like summer break for them heh.

[edit on 10-8-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
However if you were meaning just a simple yes vote, such as (click here to reccomend this post) type deal, that'd work much better.

I was just speaking from previous exprience I witnessed here on ATS a few years ago and Admin decided to do away with the "thread rating" just because of how petty some people can be.

Actually I like your idea a lot better.

That's what I was talking about was a simple yes or no vote. No political agendas able to be passed with that. It also gives the ATS members more of a say of what kind of information they want to see. Not to mention the statistics for the mods and the BIG 3 would be fantastic.

Another suggestion would be that we could add a stats area in our profiles that tells us and those that view our profiles what kinds of topics we frequent. That would help people to get to know each other on a subject matter basis, and it'd help so people can better understand how to interact with each other. More tolerance, less bickering.

Thanks for liking the idea. Just hope those that can do something about it like it as much as we do.

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
this may or may not be what you are looking for:

POLL: what kind of forum would you like to see be created on ATS???

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Nope. I'm not looking for a specific forum to be created, although I must admit a great fascination with the idea of a history revisionist forum, hehe
. Would have a lot of fun in there if it's made. SO, I'll love you forever if you do that.

Hell, I'll love all three of you no matter what. Needless to say, without you, we wouldn't be here.

Anyway, I was just popping an idea out there about a different kind of rating system. One where we get a choice on what gets posted; a choice that cannot be obscured by meager political bias.

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I think it would be a great idea to have some members be able to applause. Not the same appluase as staff have. The special members can applause, but it would not give that person any points for the applause. To become one of these special members you would need to have at least 'x' number of applauses. I do not know what number that should be, because I do not know enough information about how many appluases each member has. The number of appluases needed would need to be high. I think the members who get a ton of appluases would be great at giving appluases to posts that deserve them. I would be willing to help put in any work that was needed to make this happen.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by infoseeker
I think it would be a great idea to have some members be able to applause.

All members have a way above button, which has a considerable point value. There are only three per month, but that's nothing to sneeze at.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join