It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Prisoner Swaps of the Wars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
It has been written in news reports that when the Hezbollah guerrillas crossed the border of Israel and captchered the solders it was intend to trade them for some or all of the 9700 Palestinians being held by Israel. But why would they think that? Hear is some of the back ground.

March 1979, Israel exchanged 66 Palestinians for one Israel solder
November 1983, Israel exchanged 4700 Palestian and Lebanese prisoners for six Israel solders
June 1984, Israel exchanged 291 Syrian soldiers and 20 security prisoners for 6 Israel citizens.
May 1985, Israel exchanged 1150 prisoners for 3 Israeli solders.
July 1996, Israel exchanged 45 Shiite's and the bodies of 100 Hezbollah fighters for the bodies of two Israeli solders.
June 1998, Israel exchanged 60 prisoners and bodies of 40 Hezbollah fighters for the body of an Israeli soldier.
October 1997, Israel exchanged 70 prisoners for two intelligence agents.

Now what is Israel telling the Palestinians, or Hezbollah by doing this? Captator a some of our guerrillas, or terrorists we will capture a few of you soldiers and we can do an exchange at a 10 to 1 ratio. I cannot deny that this is a problem for Israel. They cannot continue to hold the prisoners indefinitely. What will happen I have no idea. Although one of the prisoners that would have been negotiated to be released is Samir Kuntar. Who was part of a cell that in 1979 raided an apartment building in the northern Israeli town of Naharya, Terrorizing the Haran family. Kuntar shot Danny Haran in the head, killing him, while his daughter, Einat, 4, watched, then smashed the girls head in with his rifle butt, killing her as well. Harans wife Smadar, hid in the attic with their 2 year old daughter, So afraid that the girl would cry out that she accidentally suffocated the girl.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Two soldiers were kidnapped , Then Israel should agree to give back two, in exchange for the soldiers, I see that as fair, but to give back hundreds of Prisinors for just getting 2 or even 3 soldiers back is way too wrong.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
It has been written in news reports that when the Hezbollah guerrillas crossed the border of Israel and captchered the solders it was intend to trade them for some or all of the 9700 Palestinians being held by Israel. But why would they think that? Hear is some of the back ground.

March 1979, Israel exchanged 66 Palestinians for one Israel solder
November 1983, Israel exchanged 4700 Palestian and Lebanese prisoners for six Israel solders
June 1984, Israel exchanged 291 Syrian soldiers and 20 security prisoners for 6 Israel citizens.
May 1985, Israel exchanged 1150 prisoners for 3 Israeli solders.
July 1996, Israel exchanged 45 Shiite's and the bodies of 100 Hezbollah fighters for the bodies of two Israeli solders.
June 1998, Israel exchanged 60 prisoners and bodies of 40 Hezbollah fighters for the body of an Israeli soldier.
October 1997, Israel exchanged 70 prisoners for two intelligence agents.

Excellent back ground info Red Golem. Thanks for adding this to the tapestry of the conflict

Originally posted by RedGolem
Although one of the prisoners that would have been negotiated to be released is Samir Kuntar. Who was part of a cell that in 1979 raided an apartment building in the northern Israeli town of Naharya, Terrorizing the Haran family. Kuntar shot Danny Haran in the head, killing him, while his daughter, Einat, 4, watched, then smashed the girls head in with his rifle butt, killing her as well. Harans wife Smadar, hid in the attic with their 2 year old daughter, So afraid that the girl would cry out that she accidentally suffocated the girl.

That man should rot in an Israeli jail for life. There couldnt possibly be any reason to release a degenerate such as that.

Who Israel should release however is the women and children it currently keeps prisoner.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Subz
From what I have read there are some women and children, but it is very few. Ten to fifteen or so if I rember right.

And thanks for the complement Subz!!!

Also I think letting that man rot in jail is to good for that crim that was described.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I was doing some checking and relised I forgot to menchen the sorce for the materal.
The Houston Chronicicle.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Israel is definately going to have to trade some prisoners to get their soldiers back, both in Lebanon and Gaza.

I agree 100% they should never give up that Samir Kuntar guy.
Let him rot forever in their dankest cell.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Israel is definately going to have to trade some prisoners to get their soldiers back, both in Lebanon and Gaza.

I agree 100% they should never give up that Samir Kuntar guy.
Let him rot forever in their dankest cell.

Personally I think letting him rot in jail is plenty to good for him. But as to the prisner swaps, I pondered that a little bit and came to the question, what are the isrealies telling Hezbollah, or who ever they are dealing with at the time, by doing that? Just nab a few solders and we will relise all your citizens we have as prisners?

Cant keep doing that but cant keep them all in jail either. Dont know what will be done about it but Isreal cant keep them prisner for ever either.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Unfortunately, I do not personally (emphasizing-imho) believe a prisoner swap will ever take place in this conflict given the current ceasefire framework (or lack thereof)…given this low probability of exchange in the near future…

There exist very real evaluations on both sides of the BL. Unless there are outside weighted political interveners pushing Israel to ‘quit’, then the Lebanese people will bear the full unrestrained brunt in another Israeli incursion...(given the tactics of Hezbollah and the desire of the Israelis to disarm Hezbollah)... or

...this entire Israeli endeavor is part of a greater probe and a larger draw toward attrition...albeit via feign... with additional regional theaters in mind acting in concert with other interested parties. My vote goes with the latter...

mg

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by missed_gear

...this entire Israeli endeavor is part of a greater probe and a larger draw toward attrition...albeit via feign... with additional regional theaters in mind acting in concert with other interested parties. My vote goes with the latter...

mg

My opinion is that Isreal has learned its lesson with prisner swaps. They are letting the enemy control there prison system the way they were doing that. But when you say this situation is part of attrition, what and whos attrition are you talking about?

new topics

top topics

join