It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Falkland Island Disputes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The Falkland Islands are home to less than 3,000 people in the South Atlantic. Britain and South American leaders are in a dispute over the land and who owns it. This land does not truly hold any significance to anyone, it is merely a land and power struggle.

news.yahoo.com
BUENOS AIRES AND LONDON - It seems an unlikely scrap of land to squabble over. Treeless, remote, and blasted by the full fury of the South Atlantic, the Falkland Islands are home to less than 3,000 people, and thrilling only to those who love nature, big winds, and spectacular isolation.

But Britain and Argentina considered the archipelago important enough to fight over in 1982. And suddenly, unobtrusively, a new row is simmering over the British-owned outcrop, known universally in South America as Las Malvinas.

Argentina has grumbled about British ownership of the islands, situated around 350 miles from its southern coast, ever since British forces routed Argentine troops in a 73-day war a generation ago. But recently, top Argentine officials have started laying serious claim to the Falklands once again.

In April, Argentina's president, Nestor Kirchner, marked the anniversary of the war's inception by saying the islands "must be a national objective of all Argentines," adding that "we must recover them for our homeland."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The governments of Argentina and Great Britain are in an all out dispute of the Falkland Islands. For an island so small and not worth for resources it is a wonder why they are wasting their time. The continued efforts of the British hand seems to be in control, but Argentina does not want to let up.

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com
news.google.com

[edit on 8-8-2006 by ragster]

[edit on 8/8/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   
The Islands are a big money maker!

The government sale of fishing licences to foreign countries has brought in more than £40 million a year in revenues, and local fishing boats are also in operation.

More than 75% of the fish taken are squid, and most exports are to Spain.

Tourism has shown rapid growth, with more than 30,000 visitors in 2001.

The islands have become a regular port of call for the growing market of cruise ships. Attractions include the scenery and wildlife conservation with penguins, seabirds, seals and sealions, and visits to battlefields, golf, fishing and wreck diving.

An agreement with Argentina has set the terms for exploitation of offshore resources including large oil reserves

en.wikipedia.org...

Here is the government site for the islands...

They seem extremely high is value to me, and of course land is the only thing that they don't make anyone.

-- Boat

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
They won't dare use military action again. We have always said, if the people do not want to be apart of the UK, we would give them the vote to be apart of Argentina.

Plus, with Mr.Chavez sticking his nose in the Falklands aswell (his UN speech) and if he decided to help out military, you can bet America would give military support to us. And Argentina know that if they tried using force, it will damage South America on the international scene and Argentina would loose support for a civil nuclear program.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I'm prety sure the islands has plenty of minereals. It also acts as a base of operations in that particular area, if needs be.

It would be a good time now for the Argies to try and reclaim them, there were rumours of this bubbling a few months ago.
Our forces are overstrectched across the World. And our Navy (which would again be the main port of call for any action) is pretty weak at the moment, compared to the Cold War days.

I hope they don't invade, for the sake of the people there who are proud to be British. I expect cruise missiles and American assistance, the threat of nukes would topple the Argies yet again.

[edit on 8-8-2006 by Peyres]

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peyres

It would be a good time now for the Argies to try and reclaim them, there were rumours of this bubbling a few months ago.
Our forces are overstrectched across the World. And our Navy (which would again be the main port of call for any action) is pretty weak at the moment, compared to the Cold War days.

I agree with this statment. With the war in the gulf Argentina might think this would be a good time to take them back again. I dont know how invalved the US would get though. In the last war for the islands it was just materal support.

top topics

join