It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Environmentalists Cause Hunters To Go On Strike

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
An overpopulation of deer in Italy is threatening crops and are causing road accidents. Hunters were meant to cull 600 deer but have called a strike instead. They have had enough of naive environmentalists who have been running a campaign against them, to make them look like cruel individuals who kills Bambi...

Scotsman.com: Italian hunters call strike over "Bambi" smear

8 Aug 2006

Who wants to kill Bambi? Not Italy's hunters

Regional authorities say an overpopulation of deer in northern Italy is threatening crops and endangering the public, as animals often stray on to roads and cause car accidents.

With the pictures of wide-eyed deer appearing in newspapers for days, reminding Italians of the classic Disney animated film "Bambi" in which a young deer is orphaned when hunters kill its mother, Italy's hunters said on Tuesday they had had enough. Calling a strike for August 24 -- the day the cull was meant to start -- the chairman of the Piedmont hunters' association said this was in protest at the "unjustified and malicious" campaign against them. He accused environmentalists of presenting the cull "as an illegal massacre of young deer, artfully called Bambi, with the only objective of making hunters look like savage and cruel individuals".

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is ridiculous! If there are too many deer, then there are simply too many deer. These guys are just trying to do their job. Just because they're cute... (the deer, not the hunters) :shk: I wonder how long the cuteness of these animals are going to last? Sooner or later some people are going to have enough of all the deer. But then they will probably be labeled as "evil" by the environmentalists too? The world is not fair!...

[edit on 2006/8/9 by Hellmutt]

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I agree most of the time with environmental issues because is something that we have to be conscious about after all is only one earth and we all share it.

But this ridiculous, I enjoy deer meat very much and animal control has to be enforced.

Here in the south during deer hunting is too many accidents from people hitting them when they get in the main highways.

But what is more ridiculous is the hunters strike, perhaps some American deer hunters will have not problem going into Italy and do the hunting for them.

The heck with the zealous environmentalist.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Well they'll be shooting and eating them deer soon enough because there won't be
any crops to eat!

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
nextguyinline

I agree, I agree they will be eating those deer alright. Bambi will become deer Jerky.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
It seems to me that there must be some other option,
I mean why don't they just relocate the deer to an area
not near human crops/farms?

I'm totally against hunting, unless say your stranded in
the wilderness with nothing to eat, and you don't know
what plants are edible or not.

I think we forget that the deer have just as much right to
be here as we do.
The farmers could just cordin off the crops.
And put up rails on the roads where deer are seen alot.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
While you can try to cordon off crops or relocate deer thats not going to be as effective as you would think. As an active and avid hunter I can say first hand that deer are not some dopey animal you can herd like cattle onto a trailer and just drive them off to another place. You would have to basically hunt them just like normal hunters do then shoot them with a tranqualizer dart, bag them up, move them, and keep them under while in tranist, becuase a conscious deer is a panicking creature. Cordoning off corps also is ineffective, I've seen deer jump 4' fences like it wasn't even there. It would require military-style fencing to effectively keep them out.

The Bambi-syndrome as its called has done wonders to set the public against hunters, depicting them as the personification of evil itself hunting these poor defenseless animals. The fact is that given the effect of humans on an environment they drive out or kill agressive predators that would otherwise keep the animal populations in check. As we push populated areas to new sizes we squeeze animals. If the population isint controlled by the predators then number soar and suddenly you have deer crossing highways, causing accidents and racking up huge bills for lots of people.

In my county we have an arrangement for farmers where they have special bag limits on deer that are much greater than those of normal hunters, and many farmers manage to expend their game tags through the course of the season. That coupled with normal hunting would make many think that the deer are few in numbers, yet on any given day of the summer I can cound 15 or more deer in one field alone, to say nothing of the ones seen on the side of the road at night when driving. If the deer population is doing that good with the farmers and hunters killing them left and right, I wonder if hunting deer is as bad as the touchy-feely crowd would like to think or are we actually doing a better job of regulationg the animals than they would?

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
It seems to me that there must be some other option,
I mean why don't they just relocate the deer to an area
not near human crops/farms?

That was tried in the U.S. a few times.

the process is rather traumatic to the deer and ultimately you have to have someplace to put them that can support the relocated animals. I don't think that there are too many places in Itally that are not near humans and farms. If you shove them all up into the mountains, they are going to die anyway.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Hunters on strike, havent heard that one before...

Let them hit the deers while driving then, that way we get double population control!!

That was probably mean..

I think it would be rather funny to see the enviromentalist have to go out in groups to kill the deer.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
With the lack on nature predators, humans have to keep em in check.

We have as much right to east deer meat as much as a cougar. LETS EAT!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
By the way, why do the environmentalists the article talks about not see that culling
the deer is for the benefit of the environment? It's well documented that over
population of deer can and will destroy their own environment by eating most of the
foilage anda culling themselvs. Ultimately destroying the environment for most other
fauna as well. Shouldn't these objectors be called something else? Like PETA members?

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Because that would case them to think ahead. All they think about is Bambi not being being killed and eaten. Forget about her and her mom running over bare ground, looking like brown skeletons just hoping to run over or shot.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Besides, deer taste good.

top topics

join