It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covered in Silk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I like silk. Silk Sheets, silk shirt, ......
user.it.uu.se...
Silk Bike?

Silk Tree?

OMG they're invading!!!!

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Bloody hell that's alot of silk worms

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I wonder if one could take the silk and make money of it... 8)

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I don't think they're exactly silkworms, just catarpillars, and this is their particular silk. I don't think anyone would make much money.

BTW, what would happen if someone fell asleep under that tree. The bike was probably covered pretty quickly, I wonder if someone would get covered as quickly.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   
OMG I'm never falling asleep beneath a tree. EVER! silk worms or catapiliers it doesn't matter that's scary

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
We have something like those about every other year in the Vondelpark. They cover each and every tree with their webbing/silk. Its the oak procession caterpillar. (Thaumetopoea processionea, looked it up)
Its shoots hairs when it feels threatened, which gives allergic reations. So every time they return the exterminators use enorm vacuumers to suck em out of the trees. Its really a strange sight, a whole park full of trees covered in webbing. The worst is the caterpillars are usually together in a sort of sacks of webbing which can fall out. dont wanna walk under those trees!

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   
This is an exceptionally interesting bit of nature, but I'm not too sure about it fitting the Cryptozoology and Mythical Beasts forum.

...although I wonder about it a bit...

I'm moving this into the Fragile Earth forum, since I think this may be an issue related to climate change.

Nice post, though...truly creepy

[edit on 9-8-2006 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I feel bad for this poor little guy

he's all alone, and the catarpillars are going to be coming for him.

new topics

top topics

join