It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Floyd Landis and Doping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
What I don't get in the whole Tour de France doping story is this.

Are we to imply that Mr. Landis took artifical testosterne only before the stage he did his amazing comeback or just that his concealing of continual use failed on that particular day? Would taking a one time dose of testosterne have that much of an impact the same day? I have no clue, but I was always under the impression that when people "dope up" it is a longer process with smaller incremental gains rather than the "HULK" like effort and results he turned in on that stage.

Also, if he did do a one time blast of testosterne, wouldn't he know he would be caught? Doesn't make sense to me. What if when he was drinking beer and whiskey the night before that race someone slipped a "mickey" in his drinks, how much would he have to ingest to get to that 11 to 1 ratio I have heard about.

As I said, I don't know enough about this so I will put it out there for those that do to try and explain.

I understand the stresses and the temptation of elite sport athletes to "up" their performance by any means but things don't seem to add up here so far.

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
been known for years americans were just as bad at cheating as the eastern block. americans just are better at staying ahead of the doping tests. if you don't take drugs you have no chance in sport.
i always remember maradona got caught in usa 94, and he said he had taken drugs that are legal in american sports, but in football(soccer), they are banned.

i do not see the fuss like there was when b johnson of canada was found out in 88.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
If you know what bike racing is like and you watched the tour and saw, how the day before Landis charged ahead,he lost 6-8 minutes and then a day later won , you will know that this is not possible like he did it without drug taking.

Also the way he won that stage implies blood doping , that is not possible to trace yet.

Oh and there is now way he was drinking beer and whiskey the night before

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The real conspiracy is that any medical doctor would engage in any "sport doping."

That being said, I don't believe that Floyd Landis knowingly used anything. Synthetic testosterone for a one time use will bring nothing to the table, especially in long distance cycling. He was clean the day before, he was clean the day after. Could this have been the result of some testing sabotage? Sure, but it will be hard to prove. The world cycling scene is so corrupt in regards to testing, and teams, and individuals who use performance enhancers that it's almost impossible to keep the sport clean.

On a bit slightly off topic discussion, there was a great American cycling champion before there was a LeMond, Armstrong, or Landis... The Major.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I wondered what benefit a one time super dose would do immediately in a race.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I've heard cycling experts say that the massive swing in Landis's performance from one day to the next is not particularly damning evidence. In fact, people were saying that such swings, which occured with other riders on the Tour as well, were actually being praised as signs of the first CLEAN Tour in a long time...that extended periods of steady performance are a stronger sign of doping than a huge peak in performance.

Like others on this post, I feel like it just doesn't make sense for Landis to dope up one day...after being clean for not only the start of the Tour de France, but for the two races he won prior to the biggest race in cycling (Tour de Georgia, Paris-Nice).

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I think there is a conspiracy here.

I believe his test for that day was tampered with. It must have been. If he had
been doping wouldn't it have shown up the previous days? It wouldn't have done
him any good to dope one day ... and he had to know that he'd be tested and it
would come out positive if he was stupid enough to dope.

Nope. I think the test was messed with. I'm not an expert of course ... but
unless someone can show me that it wasn't possible for it to be messed with
then that's what I think.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Ya, what gets me is that they always say they didn't do it. Sure, sure. And if the elevated levels occur naturally in some people, why aren't they always present, not just after the most remarkable performace in Tour history? What a joke.

And poor Ben, especially now that is has been revealed that Carl Lewis was also doped up.

www.smh.com.au...

slam.canoe.ca...

I don't care what anyone says, I watched that race in Seoul in 1988. Johnson and Lewis were both doped up and Ben still kicked his ass! Yay, Ben, you're still the gold medalist in my book.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fett Pinkus
If you know what bike racing is like and you watched the tour and saw, how the day before Landis charged ahead,he lost 6-8 minutes and then a day later won , you will know that this is not possible like he did it without drug taking.

Also the way he won that stage implies blood doping , that is not possible to trace yet.

Oh and there is now way he was drinking beer and whiskey the night before

Fett, If you knew what bicycle racing was like, you'd know that losing 7 minutes on the last climb of a 180 km mountain stage is not as dramatic of a failure as it has been sensationalized to be. He couldn't go with the leaders. He didn't stop on the roadside, puking and pissing blood. Returning the next day to win isn't terribly outrageous either. As mentioned here, it is actually a good sign that the riders are cleaner than ever--there are far more ups and downs when one dope-driven fiend isn't dominating, as Indurain did.

How does the way he won stage 17 imply blood doping? BTW, it is indeed traceable--either by EPO testing or for testing for red blood cell infusions--Tyler Hamilton was busted for this very infraction.

Why do you say there was no way he was drinking beer and whiskey? You should inform yourself before spouting your expert BS. Read the interwiews, Landis mantioned a couple of times that he enjoyed a couple of drinks after his stage 17 loss.

I am not suggesting that Landis is completely innocent. It is entirely possible that his doctors had been doing a good job masking the doping up to that time and messed up a day. We'll see in the future, but it looks bad for him now!

metatronic

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
One time dose of even testosterone suspension,methyltestosterone, or a derivative would do nothing in terms of helping him. Either he was doing a great job of masking(which is rather difficult) or someone adulterated his samples. I don't think he will ever be able to prove his innocence.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CHANGELING
One time dose of even testosterone suspension,methyltestosterone, or a derivative would do nothing in terms of helping him. Either he was doing a great job of masking(which is rather difficult) or someone adulterated his samples. I don't think he will ever be able to prove his innocence.

I thought as much about the one time dose. If he were doping at such a high level thoughout the Tour and masking it, it doesn't explain his meltdown the stage before. If you have successfully masked yourself, wouldn't you have turned in a much better performance that prior stage? His finish that stage makes me lean more towards him not doping the whole time rather than doping and masking it well.

I don't think we will ever find out the real story of all of this. Cycling seems to be a very sneaky sport when it gets to it's highest levels. I wouldn't put it past Landis that he did "dope", and I wouldn't put it past others messing with his samples or giving him a "mickey" to mess him up. You almost need your own food sampler and security team it seems nowadays.

You have to ask yourself......who gains from it?

top topics

join