It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even dead people can't escape AOL

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Source

The problem? An AOL account once held by Gauthier's late father still showed billing charges accumulating against it. The account had been dormant for months; the credit card he used for it was inactive at least as long.

Nevertheless, AOL kept charging $25.90 each month for dial-up online access. Late fees for non-payment accumulated on the credit card, too.

Gauthier even offered to send a copy of her father's obituary as proof he truly was dead. AOL was unmoved.

"An AOL service guy told me to stop complaining and learn to use a computer," she said. "Then he hung up."

I can believe this. It took me months to be able to get rid of my AOL. These people wont be in business too much longer,imo.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   
wow. thats pretty ignorant.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
We called and told them we didn't want AOL anymore for about 4 or 5 months. We continued to get billed the whole time(even thoguh we already had a new service). We finally got it taken care of in like the 5th month. They won't let you quit... insane

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Those guys are tricky! A long time ago, back when AOL charged I think it was $3/hour (this is back in the days when AOL, Prodigy, and Compuserve were the "big three" of home internet access... wonder how many people even remember Prodigy and Compuserve now!!) My little sister would leave her computer on (and logged onto AOL!) while she was sleeping, at school, doing whatever little girls do...

And after a couple months my parents started getting bills for way over $1000!!! And get this, they would get, say, the bill for June in like September or so! (so by then, my sister probably already racked up HUGE bills for July and August without my parents knowing anything was amiss.) It's nuts that AOL didn't automatically log her out after 30 mins or an hour or whatever of nonactivity or something. Man, if it was me and not my sister that racked up the bills... geez, I can't even imagine how ticked off my dad would have been - I probably wouldn't have been able to sit down for a week!

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Oh yeah, that's AOL for ya!

I'm very surprised that they didn't attempt to offer the deceased father a free month of service until he could find a way to live again. Lord knows, they offered me more free months when I left them than I ever used in the first place!

*welcome, you've got mail*

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   
AOL is like a really bad case of herpes. It keeps popping up on you when you really don't need it, and it takes an act of god to get rid of.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 01:57 AM
link   
It funny cause all my friend use AOL and I use MSN Messenger and a Hotmail account and I don't any problem with it and yahoo ok but AOL it awful and I hate so much Spam ever time I see them check there mail it some ad!!!!!! I never had this problem with Hotmail.

[edit on 19-8-2006 by El Che]

top topics

join