It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran's smuggled uranium intercepted

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   

The Sunday Times

Jon Swain, David Leppard and Brian Johnson-Thomas

IRAN is seeking to import large consignments of bomb-making uranium from the African mining area that produced the Hiroshima bomb, an investigation has revealed.

A United Nations report, dated July 18, said there was “no doubt” that a huge shipment of smuggled uranium 238, uncovered by customs officials in Tanzania, was transported from the Lubumbashi mines in the Congo.

It has also emerged that terror cells backed by Iran may be prepared to mount attacks against nuclear power plants in Britain.

A senior Tanzanian customs official said the illicit uranium shipment was found hidden in a consignment of coltan, a rare mineral used to make chips in mobile telephones. The shipment was destined for smelting in the former Soviet republic of Kazakhstan, delivered via Bandar Abbas, Iran’s biggest port.

“There were several containers due to be shipped and they were all routinely scanned with a Geiger counter,” the official said.

“This one was very radioactive. When we opened the container it was full of drums of coltan. Each drum contains about 50kg of ore. When the first and second rows were removed,the ones after that were found to be drums of uranium.”

The customs officer, who spoke to The Sunday Times on condition he was not named, added: “The container was put in a secure part of the port and it was later taken away, by the Americans, I think, or at least with their help. We have all been told not to talk to anyone about this.”

A source with access to current MI5 assessments said: “There is great concern about Iranian sleeper cells inside this country. The intelligence services are taking this threat very seriously.”

Full article

Quite interesting that Iran seems to be in a hurry getting uranium. Not very smart though, to lose a shipment in such a way.

[edit on 6-8-2006 by Mdv2]

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
The UN is a waste of time slowing everything down it never gets anything sorted out the way it was meant to do it for what it was set up for, the UN should be got rid of waste time and money if you ask me.

[edit on 6-8-2006 by blobby]

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Why would they be smuggling in uranium, if their nuclear technology is for peaceful needs.

Anyone that believes that is a moron.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by steve99
Why would they be smuggling in uranium, if their nuclear technology is for peaceful needs.

As long as they don't launch any nuclear missiles it can be defined as peaceful. Nuclear weapons can either be used as a power tool, or a weapon of mass destruction. Iran does want to make nuclear weapons, however, it doesn't mean they'll actually use it.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2

Originally posted by steve99

As long as they don't launch any nuclear missiles it can be defined as peaceful. Nuclear weapons can either be used as a power tool, or a weapon of mass destruction. Iran does want to make nuclear weapons, however, it doesn't mean they'll actually use it.

Iran wants fissile material to make bombs-even though they continually LIE and say the only want nuke tech for peacefully making power, except they have built NO IFRASTRUCTURE to bring this supposed power into their power grid

Everyone with an IQ of 1 or more knows they are trying desperately to make nuclear weapons-D'UH

Everyone also knows that Iran WOULD and WILL nuke Israel

Everyone is also aware that Israel will turn Iran into a smoking glass bowel

[edit on 8/6/2006 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I read a few years back an article saying Irans in country uranium deposits were insufficient to support their announced civilian power station goals. The shortage pointed to an illogical step of spending so much of Irans resources on enrichment programs that could have been done in France for instance without the capitol expense - leading me to conclude that the enrichment was not really intended for civilian use at all.

If I recollect correctly their reserves amounted to 12-24 bombs worth but fell far short of the civilian power needs.

I'm waiting for Joe Wilson to submit a report saying this can't be true

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Illegal uranium mining in the Congo has been going on for quite some time such as at the Shinkolobwe mine. Terrorists, with enough money, could more than likely acquire/attempt to acquire from these mines...if that was thier goal, then the opportunity is there...

Originally posted by Mdv2
As long as they don't launch any nuclear missiles it can be defined as peaceful.

Well…that’s not how “peaceful nuclear use” is defined and not by any stretch of the imagination.

Originally posted by Phoenix
if I recollect correctly their reserves amounted to 12-24 bombs worth but fell far short of the civilian power needs.

I've read the same..the Iranian proven reserves are discussed usually in terms near the 3k ton range, however I have also read some recent speculation about prospecting that may later show reserves estimated between 20k-30k tons which would be sufficient for an energy program such as Iran’s.

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
Iran wants fissile material to make bombs-even though they continually LIE and say the only want nuke tech for peacefully making power, except they have built NO IFRASTRUCTURE to bring this supposed power into their power grid

A portion of Iran’s excuse is the linking of Russia to Iran’s power grid to exchange electricity by each as needed/seasonally; but this makes little sense when applied to the “bigger picture”.

I wonder if the following has ever been debunked/refuted (other than by Iran):

On 24 May, just days after the summit, Russia's deputy chief of staff, General Yuri Baluyevsky, raised the possibility that Iran already has nuclear weapons. "Iran does have nuclear weapons," Baluyevsky said. "Of course, these are nonstrategic nuclear weapons" and had not been supplied by Russia, he said.
Time Europe

mg

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Do remember this paper is owned by Murdoch - as such it is pure disinfo and selective reporting.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I agree with Irans nuclear project no matter how dangerous it may sound!
Please let me ask you, why USA fear so much about nuclear abusage from Iran while already has bases with millions of nukes? becouse it will be the initiation for other countries to begine their own programs without the control of the USA. This means that USA will not play puppeter-show the coming future if not take care Mahmoud Ahmadinejand. The bad news are that any military operation cannot offer the mighty blow as happend with the Iraqian regime,couse the defensive pact among Russia-Iran-Syria. Russia is no more sleepy(the bear roars once more) and has the power and the will to take the reins to control middle-east. USA fears it and dont take any further actions,like incursion on Iran.To stay in the point Iran wants to creat nuclear weapons not for destroying Israel killing innocent people who are not weighted with any crime,but to gain economical independence,security,mana,and word in the UNO. USA dont wish something like that and turn the public opinion against Iran(UNO states,mass media,brochures along the streets,etc).
NOT THIS TIME!!!

I cry that i am nobody's toy to brainwash my will... Every country has the right to self-determine itself with the way it beleives best. I wonder is this an article in UNO constitution? yes?
oooooooooooohh

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
There is something strange about that news.

The news appears to be about Iran trying to import "bomb making Uranium" (whatever that means) from Africa.

But after they say that the UN report said that:

source

A United Nations report, dated July 18, said there was “no doubt” that a huge shipment of smuggled uranium 238, uncovered by customs officials in Tanzania, was transported from the Lubumbashi mines in the Congo.

That only means that there was no doubt that the shipment came from Lubumbashi, it says nothing bout the destination.

After that, they say that this happened in October 22, 2005.

In the next paragraph they "remind" us that Iran is supporting Hezbollah.

But in the next they say that terror cells backed by Iran may be preparing attacks on Nuclear power plants in Britain.

So, this is about what?

Iran getting Uranium?
An UN report that as "no doubts" that the Uranium shipment came from Congo?
The support of Hezbollah by Iran?
The possibility of terrorist attacks in British nuclear power plants?
The fact that the customs officer thinks that the Uranium was later taken by "Americans"?

What is the purpose of this type of news, where in one news piece they talk about 5 or 6 different things?

This only mixes all those things in the mind of the people who read it and gives them almost no information.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   

The Sunday Times
...IRAN is seeking to import large consignments of bomb-making uranium from the African mining area that produced the Hiroshima bomb, an investigation has revealed...

Hmmm...I'm getting a feeling of deja-vue reading that...almost a carbon-copy of the 'intelligence report' that claimed that Saddam was buying Yellow-cake uranium to make into bombs

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Great conspirator hunter
I agree with Irans nuclear project no matter how dangerous it may sound!
Please let me ask you, why USA fear so much about nuclear abusage from Iran while already has bases with millions of nukes? becouse it will be the initiation for other countries to begine their own programs without the control of the USA.

since when did the US possess MILLIONS of nuclear weapons?

when a president has declared for a complete removal of a nation and people then its quite obvious he/she should not be allowed to possess a bomb.

Consider Mahmoud A. statements of elimnating Israel, these comments cannot be ignored. People have a habit of allowing history to repeat itself. The world ignored Adolf Hitler's threats to the jewish community within Europe and we know what happened in its result.

put two and two together. Most people here do not support the Iraq war and some support the option of Iran having a bomb. If a war does break out as Mahmoud A. suggest will happen then you can expect causalties far far beyond Iraqs.

[edit on 7-8-2006 by evanfitz]

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
You know, they released taped phone conversations after 20 years of President Regean that he had with other people and I remember one where he was referring to the UN.

He said something like, "Well, we all know the UN is nothing but a debate club".

As in, most everything they DO is futile. They have no real world impact beyond a debate.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 01:52 AM
link   
The US doesnt have millions of nukes. Something around 30k or so, less than the mighty bear with closer to 40k.

Russia may of been a powerful country years ago and is increasing its power but it aint got the military power or the funds to do much.

All I gotta say is Iran aint getting a nuke bomb unless the UN screws around long enough to let em get it( yeah like theres any question)/AND the US doesnt get reliable info that they are close. Because if the US thinks they are close, Irans getting its ass woped.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 02:22 AM
link   
That's it then, we're all doomed.....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRGH!!!

Seriously though, one does not take Uranium ore, stick it on a missile and, hey presto!, one nuclear weapon ready for use. It takes a helluva lot of processing and refining to get anywhere near a weapons grade product. Of course, the press horror stories designed to frighten the dumbed down masses always fail to mention this little aspect. I wonder why that is?

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by blobby
The UN is a waste of time slowing everything down it never gets anything sorted out the way it was meant to do it for what it was set up for, the UN should be got rid of waste time and money if you ask me.

the UN was created to enforce the laws on all nations not just a select few,
you cant just expect Iran and other nations to follow the UN and act on its dissitions if other nations which are more powerfull or having backing from perm members who can easily veto things to ignore rullings to take a ****** about the UN and what it stands for

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Who tells me that USA dont hide any nuclear facility with thousands nukes from experiments...?

And there is no need to worry about any holocaust... there other prophecies saying that the WW3 will take place in the middle east without any usage of the nuclear power... I recall the Greek prophecies of the holy monks: Paisios and another name whom i always forget.

To sumarize each country has its own prophecies about the end of the world and bla,bla,bla.
At least, the Greek ones have a more optimistic scope for the future:NO end of the world,NO nuclear bombs and it is said that the WW3 will begin by the declaration of war from Turkey towards Greece and bla,bla,bla,bla...

And as far as the threads towards Isael for clearence from the world map, i yell that is complete lie.

No man has the strength to sustain a conscience, aftermath nuclear distraction and the conciquences to the cosmos. Do you remember those who took part in the projects which "triggered" Hirosima and Nagasaki katastrofies?

Their soul suffered and never had any peace sleep. Of course they regret it but their pleas were rejected by the Gods.

OK,forget my latter paragraph for my macabre poetry, the point is that the Iranian government want to escalated to an middle east factor and power and with the assistance from Russia-China(support on UNO) it will soon be reality!

[edit on 8-8-2006 by Great conspirator hunter]

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 05:14 AM
link   
The US is starting the propaganda machine for war with iran, just like iraq.

top topics

join