It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Definition of FAITH

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   
FAITH.

What does this word mean to you?

What emotions do you feel when you hear or read it?

What is Faith to you?

A desperate measure, perhaps?

Faith means a few things to me, but primarily this:

Faith is the truth devoid of the measure of observation by a perception that does not allow for the incorporation of pre-requisites of observation.

In other words:

I think faith is what is, when an observer does not have the faculties to measure or integrate their observations.

Truth is truth, regardless of an individual's belief. I think faith is another word for truth, but when truth eludes an observer. But, then again, truth can only elude an observer if the observer permits it to.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Your definition is spot on. To me, faith regards spiritual salvation and according to my beliefs no person can be saved on their own deeds or works, because anyone who seriously judges through the creators eyes cannot be hypocritical and say that one man is worse or better than another. Therefore, my faith says that everyone must be saved or everyone must be destroyed. Common sense tells you that because things do exist that it isn't for nothing, therefore we have to all be saved or everything is just a waste of time in regards to a God creating the universe.

But in this; I agree with you that faith is believing in something, and faith in the truth is believing in what is not seen with the eye.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
FAITH.

What does this word mean to you?

Loyalty, reliability, steadfastness, integrity.

What emotions do you feel when you hear or read it?

Depends on who is uttering its praises--but if its spoken of in regard to my personal understanding of its manifestation in my life--my spirit SOARS! And sometimes I cry.

What is Faith to you?

See above.

Also--in regard to the 'faith of Christ'--that is the conviction in my heart that HE IS and that God IS and the love that they send my way is what I feel which causes me to have no doubt in their existence and their own trustiworthiness.

A desperate measure, perhaps?

Only if forced--rushed--used as a wedge against one's personal mortal fear.

But left to the natural divine course of manifestation, it is the ultimate security upon which to lean.

Faith means a few things to me, but primarily this:

Faith is the truth devoid of the measure of observation by a perception that does not allow for the incorporation of pre-requisites of observation.

In other words:

I think faith is what is, when an observer does not have the faculties to measure or integrate their observations.

Such as a 'knowing' within that is based upon nothing similar to that upon which 'conventional' knowing is founded?

Conviction that is not under one's control as far as whether it exists or not?

Truth is truth, regardless of an individual's belief. I think faith is another word for truth, but when truth eludes an observer. But, then again, truth can only elude an observer if the observer permits it to.

I agree with you totally--certainly we both know there are many which will have much to say contrary to your statements.

Even 2,000 years ago, Pontius Pilate is said to have st5ted, 'What is truth?'

I find that statement bridges two millenia in a heartbeat--essentially the search and the futility for many has not changed. Yet the concept of 'truth' has survived just as well, albeit in a smaller percentage of minds....

Truth is what remains when all the rest is stripped away.

Just like light.

Darkness can never hide light--it is the absence of light and has no power, ultimately, over light.

And so delusion has no real staying power against truth--even though delusion has reigned supreme for the last several millenia; for all of mankind's known history, very possibly--still in the end, only truth will be left.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Faith - Belief without proof.

From MW:
Firm belief in something for which there is no proof.

The only emotion I feel, if you want to call it that, is a knowing. A calm, assured knowledge.

I don't mix faith and truth. Because my truth might be different than yours. I have faith in my truth and you have faith in yours, but our truths are not the same. But both are right.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Conscious Faith is not belief or blind-faith.

Faith

"In order to enter the kingdom, the treasure of faith is essential. As long as the psychological split has not been produced within each of us, faith is more than impossible. Faith is pure knowledge, direct experiential wisdom. Faith has always been confused with vain beliefs; Gnostics must never make such a serious mistake. Faith is direct experience of the real, the magnificent vivification of the Inner Human Being, authentic divine cognition... Faith is the direct perception of what is real, it is fundamental wisdom; it is the experience of that which is beyond the body, the affections and the mind. We must distinguish between faith and belief. Beliefs are found stored in the Intermediate Mind. Faith is a characteristic of the Inner Mind. Unfortunately, there is always a general tendency to confuse belief with faith. Although it seems paradoxical, we emphasize the following: “Those who have true faith do not need to believe.” This is because genuine faith is living knowledge, exact cognition, and direct experience. For many centuries people have confused faith and belief. Now it is very difficult to make them understand that faith is true knowledge and never futile beliefs." - The Great Rebellion

Fantasy

"Fantasy, besides placing us in ridiculous situations, stops all possibility of internal development... Fantasy is a real force which acts universally upon mankind. It keeps the intellectual humanoid in a state of sleep (hypnotic state), causing him to believe that he is already a Human Being, that he possesses true individuality, a will, awakened consciousness and a mind of his own, etc." - Revolutionary Psychology

Fear

"Fear is the worst enemy of Pistis Sophia. Men kill each other because of fear. Nations arm themselves and go to war because of fear. We mistrust people because of fear. Espionage and perversity exist because of fear. There exists thieves and prostitutes because of the fear of life. The aspirants flee and part from the real Path because of fear. Frontiers, documents and restrictions of all types, which interrupt the journeys of people, are due to fear. Fear is the cause of thousands of personal and collective conflicts." - from The Pistis Sophia Unveiled

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
The only emotion I feel, if you want to call it that, is a knowing.

Yes! A 'knowing.' That is actually an integral part of my personal vernacular!

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 02:57 AM
link   
There have some good explanations of what faith means to people in the above posts. I can't imagine there could be a wrong answer, because faith is what faith is to you.

I am still curious what other meanings/definitions may exist in the minds of the members here.

Queen,
How is it you could have negative points for BTS? How is this possible??

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
Queen,
How is it you could have negative points for BTS? How is this possible??

It costs so much to go below the clouds that her points drop below zero in the digital world!

top topics

join