It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you support an armed border wall?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
After hearing about all the illegal immigrants whom are
crossing the border, I got to thinking about the idea of
building an armed wall on the border.

Now the two real problems I see with the idea, is;
A. It would be expensive.
B. About 40% of the country would oppose it.

Now, lets pretend for a moment that plans to build a
concrete wall, 5ft thick and 20ft high along the entire
U.S.-Mexican border with armed guard posts every
quarter of a mile and surveilance cameras every 10ft
was being proposed, and the price issue was'nt a problem.
And the guards were armed with tranquilisers and rubber bullets.

Would you support it or not, and why?

I myself would support it.
Because I think that illegal immigration is a big problem
that this country faces, and really needs to take a stance on,
not just as a government, but as a people.
If people want to come to this country, than they should do it legally.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
77.7% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Questions:

What about tunnels?

Armed? But with non lethal means?

Sure why not build away, but how is the CIA going to smuggle drugs.. oh I forgot they got planes.

But then again it's got that whole stigma, great wall china / berlin wall...

I'd hate to be a person assigned to fence duty.

So if they did come legally as opposed to illegally, how much of a difference does that really make?

If they're illegal shouldn't it be hard for them to get a job? *assuming companies arent going to break laws(lolmg)*

Why not try and help Mexico improve? I mean don't we waste enough money on other countries? Why not our neighbor?

[edit on 5-8-2006 by Lysergic]

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I think that the US - Mexico border needs to secured to the point where illegal aliens can tracked and caught and put into interment camps. From there they can be given a choice serve in the US military for a period of time or go home. If they dont want serve in the military the person in question should be able to speake english fluently and have skills and an education on offer.

Building a wall as such isnt a very good idea you only need to look at the means people used to get across/thou the Berlin wall. People put there loved ones in suit cases and used other extreme measures.

[edit on 8-8-2006 by xpert11]

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Building a wall as such isnt a very good idea you only need to look at the means people used to get across/thou the Berlin wall. People put there loved ones in suit cases and used other extreme measures.

Good point, but I have a counterpoint, since anyone wanting to
come across the border would have to go throuhg a checkpoint,
anything big enough to be able to accomodate an average adult
mexican person would be subject to search.

What about tunnels?

That's why the walls would go down 20ft, and sonar and seismic
sensor stations would be set up at regular intervals.

Why not try and help Mexico improve? I mean don't we waste enough money on other countries? Why not our neighbor?

Because it would cost alot more to bring Mexico up to or close
to the standards of the U.S. than to build a wall.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
, but I have a counterpoint, since anyone wanting to
come across the border would have to go throuhg a checkpoint,
anything big enough to be able to accomodate an average adult
mexican person would be subject to search.

Fair response. All Im going to say is that you should never underestimate what desperate people will do to improve there situation.
Cheers xpert11.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 12:36 AM
link   
The other option that I forgot to mention in my last post would be to annex Mexico via some sort of political agreement and turn the countrie into a US state.
IMH improving border security and offering military service for citizenship would be a better idea.
Any thoughts ?

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Building a wall just isn't practical. What we need to do is start enforcing laws and deporting illegals as well as fining businesses that hire them. It'd be nice to help improve Mexico but I haven't got any ideas and the public won't support another war.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The idea, that stopping people coming into the United State's illegally would stop illegal immigrants is unfounded. It would be easy enough for them to get a bus, plane, train or any other means of transport. Once they are into the country legally is where the problem will begin instead.

It's like the old medical idea. You treat a disease, not the symptom.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I don't believe in a wall. I don't want Mexico to become a US state, nor Cuba, nor any other country. The only other country I would support becoming a US state is Canada, and I doubt they want to become part of the US

What we need to do. Is not allow any illegal to do anything. Not allowed to work, not allowed to buy a car, get a license, protest, write newspapers, etc. Those who disobey will be fined thousands. You know...kind of like Mexico???

But that won't happen. The government supports slave labor. Because corporations want it!!

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
But that won't happen. The government supports slave labor. Because corporations want it!!

Do you honestly believe what you posted above? Or, are you just trying to generate replies?

[edit on 13-8-2006 by Astronomer70]

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Well if we're going to be fortress america,then we would have to have on on the northern border as well. Then you have no one screaming that the wall was built because of racsism toward mexicans. This will show how we hate mexico and canada equally.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Do you honestly believe what you posted above? Or, are you just trying to generate replies?

I think he has a very valid reply. If you use that thing called common sense that 'hopefully' you were blessed with then you would understand that illegal labor is good for rich folks. It keeps them rich and it keeps the class structure in place. I have no firm numbers, but I would make a wager that rich (upper middle/upper class) people make up 90% of the congress and our elected officials. Corporations put them in office and illegal labor is good for the corporations and the rich folks. Hey, it's not them that have to live with the daily problems caused by illegal immigration. They don't have to live in the neighborhoods that have been ransacked. They don't have to stand in line at the hospitals that have been brought to the breaking point taking care of these people. They don't have to send their kids to schools where 75% of the children speak spanish and broken english at best. They don't have to deal with the tide of spanish gangs that have started to take over the streets. Yeah, I think he does believe it and if you were smart so would you.

[edit on 8/13/2006 by Escrotumus]

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   

The idea, that stopping people coming into the United State's illegally would stop illegal immigrants is unfounded. It would be easy enough for them to get a bus, plane, train or any other means of transport. Once they are into the country legally is where the problem will begin instead.

Buses would be searched.
If you can afford to get here by plane, than there's a good
chance there not illegally immigrating.
I don't even know if there are trains that run routes through
the U.S. and Mexico.

Well if we're going to be fortress america,then we would have to have on on the northern border as well. Then you have no one screaming that the wall was built because of racsism toward mexicans. This will show how we hate mexico and canada equally.

Who care if some liberal pansy groups scream racism,
they can go **** themselves, oh and since I am a liberal,
you know that the whole liberal ideologies has gone down the
toilet faster than an unwanted pregnancie on prom night.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Buses would be searched.

And?

If you can afford to get here by plane, than there's a good chance there not illegally immigrating.

How do you work that out? The plane fair, between Mexico and an Airport in Texas comes up between $200 and $400 USD. The whole reason people leave Mexico, to the United State's is because he then intends to earn more money while in the Country. Many people can raise enough money to fly from Mexico through to the United State's, can sell goods they might have or even take out loans from rather "nasty" people.

In fact, it is likely that the wall would do nothing more than increase people who had to do such things. They would offer to set them up with work in the United State's, get them the legal tourist visa and pay for the fligth. They would then own them. Working them, under paying them and always charging more on interest than these people can afford with the threat of sending them back to Mexico or killing them if they go to the Police. This trade already exists within South America, Africa and Asia.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium

Buses would be searched.

And?

If you can afford to get here by plane, than there's a good chance there not illegally immigrating.

How do you work that out? The plane fair, between Mexico and an Airport in Texas comes up between $200 and $400 USD. The whole reason people leave Mexico, to the United State's is because he then intends to earn more money while in the Country. Many people can raise enough money to fly from Mexico through to the United State's, can sell goods they might have or even take out loans from rather "nasty" people.

In fact, it is likely that the wall would do nothing more than increase people who had to do such things. They would offer to set them up with work in the United State's, get them the legal tourist visa and pay for the fligth. They would then own them. Working them, under paying them and always charging more on interest than these people can afford with the threat of sending them back to Mexico or killing them if they go to the Police. This trade already exists within South America, Africa and Asia.

And, all buses would be searched, and everyone would have to be
able to produce I.D papers etc. and if they could'nt, they'd be detained
until it could be figured out.

I figure that because a huge amount just cross the border on foot,
away from anyone noticing.
Also, not all of the people are coming from mexico, there are alot of
central and S.Americans with literally no money whatsoever,
so they could'nt afford it, and I'm willing to bet a good amount of
people have enough common sense to just cross the norder on
their own rather than get lended money and be forever
en debted to that person.

top topics