It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why No Ground Red Pepper at Market?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I simply can't find ground red (Cayenne) pepper at the supermarket anymore. Not that I've searched the entire state or country, but there's certainly none to be found in my town. There's crushed red pepper, but no ground. I prefer ground red pepper to crushed because it mixes better and doesn't leave pepper bombs scattered throughout my food.

Anyone else run into a similar predicament?

[edit on 5-8-2006 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I haven't had any problems finding that whenever I need it. You might try hot paprika.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Have you looked recently? Hot Paprika is a poor substitute for Red Pepper, imo. Maybe it was taken off the shelves because it is used in such small quantities that the purchase volume is too low to justify the shelf space.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I can probably find a dozen different types of it in NYC

You should be able to buy it from an Internet store that sells spices, otherwise u2u me and I'll send you a bottle.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Thanks for the offer.

I'm really more curious about why it isn't on store shelves around here anymore than I am inquiring about having you send me some. I guess if worse came to worst, I could put some crushed red pepper in a grinder and make do.

[edit on 6-8-2006 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
That sounds awfully strange to me -- have you asked the store manager why they're not carrying it? (Assuming, of course, that they carry spices at all.)

Ground cayenne pepper certainly isn't considered an exotic spice any more; it's a mainstay of the McCormick, Lawry's, and Spice Islands brands, at least one of which is carried by every supermarket I've ever been in.

If your store can't or won't carry it, then find another store. If that's not practical, there's about 80 billion places on the Internet you can order it from. Paul Prudhomme's place is as good as any to start: shop.chefpaul.com...

And hot paprika is not an acceptable substitute.

Good luck!

Baack

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The shortage could stem from the Sudan Red carcinogenic food-dye scare that led to hundreds of products removed from store shelves across Europe and the USA

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
In my usual paranoia, I thought it might have something to do with the fact that Cayenne Pepper is one of the main ingredients in pepper spray, a controlled substance.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
IR, might I suggest a substitute.
We here in the desert Southwest have a fondness for powdered or ground "red Chili" not quite the bite of cayenne but with a subtle flavor that just might bring out a spontaneous "yeeHaw" or possibly "eureka". Try a market that caters to our Hispanic brothers. This stuff is so good, it should be a controlled substance. And after you cut your teeth on the "red"; the holy grail of everything culinary, "the green"

Bon Appetit!

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I regularly use chile powder in my charo beans, but I'm not sure if that is what you are talking about.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Most likely the same thing.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I live in Rochester, NY and I can't find it either!!!! I was going to make some dry rub seasoning for my ribs and there was none to be found at any of the local food markets -Tops or Wegmans as well as the open public market!

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I realize this post is an old one, but you shouldn't have any trouble finding ground red pepper in the Mexican section of your supermarket.

Usually in a clear plastic bag and there's quite a bit of it compared to the little spice bottles.

Prices are very reasonable as well.

Next time you have a little extra time, cruise the ethnic food sections of the market.
You'll be surprised at what you find and probably take home some stuff you didn't even know you needed....

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I live in Rochester, NY and I can't find it either!!!! I was going to make some dry rub seasoning for my ribs and there was none to be found at any of the local food markets -Tops or Wegmans as well as the open public market!

Look for a product called, "Pappy's."

A dry powder packaged in Fresno, California which is right in the middle of a huge agricultural valley.
It can be hard to find and they do have a website.

An excellent dry rub all by itself . . . especially so on BBQ Tri-Tips.

top topics

join