It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5000 people Protest in Tel-Aviv

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
5000 people protested in Tel-Aviv against the war in Lebanon. Protests are taking place all over the world. Thousands were protesting on the streets of London as well.

More than 5,000 people marched in Tel Aviv on Saturday evening, to protest the ongoing Israel Defense Forces operation in Lebanon. Demonstrators set off from Dizengoff Street and marched along King George Street, which was closed to traffic, calling for an end to the conflict and the withdrawal of Israeli troops from Lebanon, and denouncing Defense Minister Amir Peretz.

Two people, including a minor, were arrested. The demonstration also saw a confrontation with a several right-wing counter-protesters, who tore down some of the placards used in the rally.

Thousands marched in London on Saturday to demand a halt to the Lebanon war on Saturday as the British government tried to deflect criticism that it has failed to call for an immediate cease-fire.

source

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Good, I am glad.

Israel is not an evil country, it just has evil men in charge of it. The same applies to nations like the US, Australia and Britain.

So...how do the raving Zionists explain events such as these? Are these protesters suicidal in demanding their government halts an invasion that is ostensibly designed to protect them? Or do they know, like the rest of us, that their government does not care about Hezbollah and only wants more lebensraum for Greater Israel (with increased Muslim hatred towards Israel and its citizens as a direct consequence).

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Its good to hear,

I can really understand the average Israeli/Jews concern's living in downtown Isreal. DO you think its going to be Ehud Olmert house that gets hit buy a Hezbollah rockets ?.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Good, I am glad.

Israel is not an evil country, it just has evil men in charge of it. The same applies to nations like the US, Australia and Britain.

So...how do the raving Zionists explain events such as these? Are these protesters suicidal in demanding their government halts an invasion that is ostensibly designed to protect them?

Like the last time they will downplay the number attended and always attribute it to people being conned or some BS. They were probably met with Pro-Israel and Pro-War groups at the same time.
Im sure the zioist organizations sent out action-alert emails for all their members calling for a counter-protest.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 01:20 AM
link   
This demonstration does not portray the feelings of the mainstream in Israel.
Like in any democracy there are some fringe-groups with oppinions that are very differet from everyone else. Here we are talking about anarchists, that have some following in Israel.

See here:
www.ynetnews.com...

Note that not only is the number very small, but it's also a group that booed the very left-wing Yael Dayan:

Former Knesset Member Yael Dayan, who spoke at the demonstration, was applauded when she said that "the soldiers must be returned from Lebanon immediately." However, the crowd booed when she claimed that "the war was justified at its onset."

These are people that usually show up on the news claiming that animals should have the same rights as people, and that everything the establishment does is wrong (they are for the dismantlement of all governmental institutions).
Because they are always automatically agains any military action, no mattar how justified (most of them pacifists), it was obvious they'll be agains this war.

However, as they are agains self-defence, they don't represent any shift in public oppinion in Israel. It's a far cry from the "average Israeli/Jews concern's living in downtown Isreal".

Note - about the London demonstration: Past experience shows that such demonstrations against Israel are usually held and attended by muslim immigrants (that have an obvious bias). There are several millions in the London area, so it's not hard to come up with the numbers for the demonstration.
The english people themselves are far less supportive of the arab side in the Israeli-Arab conflicts.

[edit on 6-8-2006 by Parmenides]

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parmenides

demonstrations against Israel are usually held and attended by muslim immigrants

And? Your point is? So are you saying their voice doesn't count?? A Tax payer is a tax payer. I dunno what country you are from but a persons race should have nothing to do with it if they are citizens of that country.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN

Originally posted by Parmenides

demonstrations against Israel are usually held and attended by muslim immigrants

And? Your point is? So are you saying their voice doesn't count?? A Tax payer is a tax payer. I dunno what country you are from but a persons race should have nothing to do with it if they are citizens of that country.

My point is in the surrounding sentences:"demonstrations against Israel are usually held and attended by muslim immigrants (that have an obvious bias)......
The english people themselves are far less supportive of the arab side in the Israeli-Arab conflicts."

Meaning, people with obvious bias due to family realations to one side, cultural environment etc', tend to allow their emotions to get in the way of logical judgement. One would expect their views to lean to one side.
The non-muslim-immigrant english people, however, are less personally involved, so I brought them as an example to a more neutral (of cours, not totally neutral) crowd.

My point was, you can't get the general British sentiment about the situation, nor get a balanced view on the ME conflict, by only concidering such demostrations when a specific group with non-neutral views is involved.

Nowhere did I claim that their voice doesn't count, due to race or otherwise. Nor are those my views. I only claim they have an obvious leaning toward a certain side. Personal connections can distort one's judgement. Do you disagree?

Edit: do you agree with the main argument in my post, about the anarchists not representing a major shift in Israeli sentiments about the war?

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Great info! 5,000 is a lot of people for the demonstration. That would be the equivalent of about 230,000 in the United States. Quite big!
It looks like many peace marchers were there; I wonder how many Israel's were there not necessarily for peace but just to end the war.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
The protests are pointless. THe only protests that can stop this war are anti-hezbollah protests in lebanon. Looks like the lebanese feel fine about hezbollah existing and attacking Israel. Therefore, Isreal should feel free to attack and destroy lebanon. Indeed, looks like they are. So, agian, the protests are pointless.

top topics

join