It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Hezbollah agreed to this cease fire?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Sorry if this is a daft question but i've not seen any news for a couple of days, this UN cease fire they are talking about, has Hezbollah agreed to this too?

Just been reading the various news items on this and unless i'm mistaken nothing has really changed, in that Hezbollah are not going to stop fighting until the Israeli's get out of Lebanon.....and the Israeli's won't. The Israeli's won't stop fighting till they get thier kidnapped soldiers back.......but they won't because Hezbolah want them to stop fighting first. I'm confused!

Are we basically still looking at neither side has the balls to swallow pride and stop fighting for a sec so they can sort this out?

A very brief update would be much appreciated, i've had a day of stopping two small daughters ripping each others heads off over who found the most worms in the garden so my brain is frazzled right now!

CX.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Hezbo has basically said they will not agree to a cease fire until the last Israeli soldier leaves Lebonese territory including Sheeba Farms.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Hezbo has basically said they will not agree to a cease fire until the last Israeli soldier leaves Lebonese territory including Sheeba Farms.

That is false.

Arizona Daily Star
Despite Hezbollah leader Sheik Hassan Nasrallah's offer and continuing diplomatic efforts to broker a cease-fire, the Israeli army prepared to push up to Lebanon's Litani River as part of its campaign to force the Shiite guerrillas away from the border and make room for a planned international force to patrol the area.

Arizona Daily Star
In a televised speech broadcast Thursday night, Nasrallah, for the first time, offered to stop firing rockets into Israel if it stops its airstrikes. But he threatened to launch missiles into Israel's commercial center of Tel Aviv if Israel hit Beirut.

Hezbollah has said it will ceasefire if only Israel halts its airstrikes. There is no mention of Israeli soldiers leaving Lebanese territory including the Shebaa Farms.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Negative:

www.comcast.net.../2006/07/31/283783.html

www.foxnews.com...

Shortly after the United States announced agreement with France on a draft U.N. cease-fire resolution on the 25th day of the conflict, a Hezbollah Cabinet minister said militant Shiite guerrillas would not stop fighting until all Israeli troops leave Lebanon. The draft resolution makes no such demand.

"We (will) abide by it on condition that no Israeli soldier remains inside Lebanese land. If they stay, we will not abide by it," said Mohammed Fneish, one of two Hezbollah members of the government.

www.cnn.com...

Lebanon Prime Minister Fouad Siniora said, however, that the draft was "not adequate."

Hezbollah quickly responded, too, saying it will agree to a cease-fire only when all Israeli soldiers leave Lebanese land. The draft resolution makes no mention of a withdrawal.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   
So basicly, They want Israel to retreat ,only so they could fire rockets and kill innocent civilens,AGAIN ,in a couple of years?
no thanks,enoghe lifes have been lost, and shattered ,only for Israel to reapete on the same mistake we did back in 2000 (one sided retreat)

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Heh, you gloss over the fact that Hezbollah didnt start firing rockets into Northern Israel until AFTER the Israeli airstrikes on Beirut.

I thought this whole assault was in response to 2 kidnapped soldiers? Funny how it's now morphing into being in response to Hezbollah's rockets attacks, attacks that followed the Israeli airstrikes.

You should also be honest enough to recognize that Israel only removed it's ground troops from Southern Lebanon (excluding the disputed Shebaa Farms), but it continued to violate sovereign Lebanese airspace on a regular basis. Itself and act of war against Lebanon.

But poor Israel, it's just sitting their minding its own business when it gets attacked out of the blue! What kind of morons do you take us for?

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Heh, you gloss over the fact that Hezbollah didnt start firing rockets into Northern Israel until AFTER the Israeli airstrikes on Beirut.

I thought this whole assault was in response to 2 kidnapped soldiers? Funny how it's now morphing into being in response to Hezbollah's rockets attacks, attacks that followed the Israeli airstrikes.

You should also be honest enough to recognize that Israel only removed it's ground troops from Southern Lebanon (excluding the disputed Shebaa Farms), but it continued to violate sovereign Lebanese airspace on a regular basis. Itself and act of war against Lebanon.

But poor Israel, it's just sitting their minding its own business when it gets attacked out of the blue! What kind of morons do you take us for?

NO.....youe media is twisted and leing, and I don't blame you for being fooled.
The airstrikes started after hiz. lunched very massive attacks on our outposts and settelements and cities Near the border.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Here's me thinking that Hezbollah raided an Israeli border patrol and captured two IDF soldiers. To which Israel launched punitive airstrikes on Beirut. Then Hezbollah responded by launching its rockets at Northern Israel.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Sounds like the latest is that Lebanon has rejected conditons of the cease-fire and Israel has accepted them. I thought all along this conflict all Lebanon wanted was for a cease-fire...now they are tacking on conditions. Will be interesting to see how this one plays out. Personally i dont see a cease-frie happening any time soon at all because there is still too much to be worked out on the ground. Call me crazy but i think this thing has a better chance of winding down if the world powers dont get involved and just let these two duke it out until they are tired of it.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I thought all along this conflict all Lebanon wanted was for a cease-fire...now they are tacking on conditions.

I thought all along they wanted an unconditional cease-fire. Which is which?

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Here's me thinking that Hezbollah raided an Israeli border patrol and captured two IDF soldiers. To which Israel launched punitive airstrikes on Beirut. Then Hezbollah responded by launching its rockets at Northern Israel.

Yeah, how silly of us to actually have memory, hey Subz...

Bless them though, they do try and twist it, hoping we foget what happened.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
The draft so far does not call for the Israeli forces to leave once the peace keeping forces come in.

Pie

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Yes because they know the peace-keeping forces as usual are probably unable to keep the peace. Ever since Jews were put into furnaces, the Israelis have been skeptical of placing thier security in the hands of others. Look how great a job UNFIL did in Lebanon. I dont think i would want to withdraw my forces completely either until i saw that this "peace-keeping" force has teeth. Now knowing this force will be led by France LOL this thing doesnt look good.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Yes because they know the peace-keeping forces as usual are probably unable to keep the peace. Ever since Jews were put into furnaces, the Israelis have been skeptical of placing thier security in the hands of others. Look how great a job UNFIL did in Lebanon. I dont think i would want to withdraw my forces completely either until i saw that this "peace-keeping" force has teeth. Now knowing this force will be led by France LOL this thing doesnt look good.

Yay, PoP is back with his bigotry again.

What's wrong with France then, Pop? Come on, I want to know. Or is this just silly racism stemming from the Iraq War?

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
As far as i know, the French arent a race. They just tend to lend to the pacifism side of things a lot and when it comes to a super volatile situation like this, i dont know if French forces are the ones to do the job thats all.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   

As far as i know, the French arent a race. They just tend to lend to the pacifism side of things a lot and when it comes to a super volatile situation like this, i dont know if French forces are the ones to do the job thats all.

The French are as much a race of people as the Germans, English, Welsh or any other, so not sure why you thought different.

French have alot of history in this part of the world, so are probably the best people to have. The US or UK would just be targets (not to mention overstretched) and not many other countries have either the power or the inclination to get involved.

The French military is more than capable of doing the job, they do after all get involved all over the world, especially Africa, in this sort of thing.

The French are by no means pacifist, they (along with the rest of us in Europe) have just had enough of war and don't jump so readily on the "KILL IT!! KILL IT NOW!!!" bandwagon, like some.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I guess its just an American thing ( and not all Americans obviously ) because we know other countries have been hit as well but after 9/11 i think the "kill it, kill it" attitude has come out a little more.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
There is an interesting article in the news today. It attempts to explain the mixed signals coming from the Lebanese government and where they stand on the U.N. proposition.

[edit on 8/6/06 by makeitso]

top topics

join