It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40,000 Troops Desert since 2000

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
According to the Pentagon about 40,000 troops, from all the branches of the U.S. Military, The Air Force, The Army, The Marine Corp, The Navy and presumably The Coast Guard have deserted since 2,000. While the Army claims that the yearly number of deserters has actually dropped, the number is still significent. An Army spokesman also says that only a small number desert because of conscientious objection but do so for personal and financial reasons.

www.airforcetimes.com
Thousands of troops say they won’t fight

By Ana Radelat
Gannett News Service

Swept up by a wave of patriotism after the U.S. invasion of Iraq, Chris Magaoay joined the Marine Corps in November 2004.
The newly married Magaoay thought a military career would allow him to continue his college education, help his country and set his life on the right path.
Less than two years later, Magaoay became one of thousands of military deserters who have chosen a lifetime of exile or possible court-martial rather than fight in Iraq or Afghanistan.
“It wasn’t something I did on the spur of the moment,” said Magaoay, a native of Maui, Hawaii. “It took me a long time to realize what was going on. The war is illegal.”
Magaoay said his disillusionment with the military began in boot camp in Twentynine Palms, Calif., where a superior officer joked about killing and mistreating Iraqis. When his unit was deployed to Iraq in March, Magaoay and his wife drove to Canada, joining a small group of deserters who are trying to win permission from the Canadian government to stay.
“We’re like a tight-knit family,” Magaoay said.
The Pentagon says deserters like Magaoay represent a tiny fraction of the nation’s fighting forces.
“The vast majority of soldiers who desert do so for personal, family or financial problems, not for political or conscientious objector purposes,” said Lt. Col. Bryan Hilferty, a spokesman for the Army.
Since 2000, about 40,000 troops from all branches of the military have deserted, the Pentagon says. More than half served in the Army. But the Army says numbers have decreased each year since the United States began its war on terror in Afghanistan.
Those who help war resisters say desertion is more prevalent than the military has admitted.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

When I read this, in The Air Force Times no less, my jaw dropped. 40,000 is an amazing number. When I wrote the intro paragraph I said "presumably the Coast Guard" because they rarely see combat so I wonder what percentage is theirs?

More than the number of desertions though was the time frame, since 2000. I assume they used that to save Bush administration face...I wonder what the numbers are since 2002 or 2003?

There are those who will call these men cowards and perhaps some are, but as those of us who have had the Military Code of Justice drilled into their heads in boot camp will tell you, the punishments are severe and is not an action to take lightly, or to be taken lightly. If the vast majority are since the invasion of Iraq, it says one hell of a lot. Too bad the politicians aren't listening.

Related News Links:
www.truthout.org

[edit on 8/5/06 by FredT]

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Hey just what we at ATS need, another goof movement production!

The war is wrong....I don't want to shoot anyone...blah blah blah...yada yada yada...whine whine whine. These nobodies ( the deserters ) whine more than the damned arab murders in the middle east.

Then why the hell do you join the military in the first place? I bet they enjoyed the monetary bonus theY got....no objections to that, right?

They are traitors, should be rounded up and treated like traitors.

[edit on 5-8-2006 by Mr Beezer]

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
So we should shoot 40,000 of our own?

Personally as a veteran myself, I really think they should have considered their options before enlisting, I know I did and joined the Coast Guard, I had no moral objection to serving, but I wanted something positive, not continual training to kill.

I am not justifying deserting, I am just pointing out that rates like these speak volumes about how this war has not only divided the population as a whole, but the military as well and that is indeed something serious.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
So Mr Breezer, you are advocating shooting 40,000? And that separates us from the OBL's of the world how?

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Puhleese, most of these "deserters" are 19 year old kids who get in a fight with their girlfriend and go AWOL to try and make up. There are not 40,000 objectors out there, just some spur of the moment, hormone driven, hysterical bad decision making. They get found, get an article 15 if they're lucky, get put out if they're not.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Beezer
Hey just what we at ATS need, another goof movement production!

The war is wrong....I don't want to shoot anyone...blah blah blah...yada yada yada...whine whine whine. These nobodies ( the deserters ) whine more than the damned arab murders in the middle east.

Then why the hell do you join the military in the first place? I bet they enjoyed the monetary bonus theY got....no objections to that, right?

They are traitors, should be rounded up and treated like traitors.

[edit on 5-8-2006 by Mr Beezer]

So you believe that when one enters the military, they should have no no thought, no emotion, and no morals? Just simply follow an order without questioning if it's right or wrong and then keep it a secret when it's completed?

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Don't feed the trolls...

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
Just simply follow an order without questioning if it's right or wrong and then keep it a secret when it's completed?

The military is not a democracy, you have orders and you follow them, if you think they violate the UCMJ then you file a complaint, if its rejected, you shut up and follow your original orders, if you still believe in your case then don't follow the order and face a Court Martial. THAT is the way it should be done, you DO NOT desert, ever. Once you desert you should be subject to the full extent of the law.

On that matter, you think there should be no consequence for breaking a contract?

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanstheman
Puhleese, most of these "deserters" are 19 year old kids who get in a fight with their girlfriend and go AWOL to try and make up. There are not 40,000 objectors out there, just some spur of the moment, hormone driven, hysterical bad decision making. They get found, get an article 15 if they're lucky, get put out if they're not.

AWOL is totally different than desertion...thats why there are different terms for them, and different punishments. Considering htis is the military reporting this I tend to believe them than you.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I think if you join the military thinking, feeling, you are SERVING your country, and then you find out they want you to murder innocent men, women and children, the real reasons for the invasion the result of a manufactured consent and then you are told you can't get out?
You have committed yourself.
Yes you have, you have 'committed' yourself, into the asylum.

Is this the mob running this war?
Anybody still supporting the war in Iraq?

Go...go now...replace someone who does not want to be there.

namaste

Raphael

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
i'm going to call sensationalism on this one.

from USA Today:

Desertion numbers have dropped since 9/11. The Army, Navy and Air Force reported 7,978 desertions in 2001, compared with 3,456 in 2005.

get that? desertions have dropped in the last 5 years.

Desertions in 2005 represent 0.24% of the 1.4 million U.S. forces.

less than one quarter of a percent. ooooh. ahhhhhhh.

nothing to see here folks, move along.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I'm not surprised, I doubt most people want to fight in an unjust war.
Before now, I think most people envisioned war as two distinct sides that were technologically equal, and fought the same way, and that's how those who signed up thought it would be.

I support desertion if it means doing the right thing, that being not murdering women and children.
However, if you join the military on a dare, and go to war, well that's really your own fault.

I think the military should be more of a voluntary thing, if you want to fight, you fight, if you don't, you don't.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei

I think the military should be more of a voluntary thing, if you want to fight, you fight, if you don't, you don't.

oh, i'm sorry, i must have served in a different military, because i thought the US military was an all volunteer military.

oh wait, it is all volunteer. you can choose not to fight....just dont join up. gee, why didnt i think of that?

again, desertions have been on the decline since 2000 folks....just check the numbers in my last post.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I'm not surprised, I doubt most people want to fight in an unjust war.

Unjust according to whom? You? This is the military we’re talking about here perhaps you should read up on how its structured and run.

It is, however once you join and sign your name on the dotted line you know exactly what you’re getting into. What you’re saying reminds me of a quote, "the summer soldier and the sunshine patriot".

[edit on 5-8-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover

Originally posted by stanstheman

AWOL is totally different than desertion...thats why there are different terms for them, and different punishments. Considering htis is the military reporting this I tend to believe them than you.

You are AWOL for the first 15 days then you are a deserter, AWOL is part of desertion, and ummm who do I believe? Let's see here, my husband who was a platoon leader, my brother-in-law the battalion commander, or my other brother-in-law the battalion commander, and USMA grad, my dad the USNA grad, my great uncle who fought in Italy during WW2, my father-in-law who served during Korea, or you? If you join the military for anything else than to be a war fighter than you have joined for the wrong reason. That's where the whole gun thing comes into play. Get it? College money is secondary, job training is secondary, everything is second to war fighting.

Your time would be better spent helping out the soldiers who did go to war and came back injured than by sitting at your mother's computer and spouting off about things you know very little about, and wouldn't have the balls for even if you did. You think this war is stupid? Then shut up and do something that makes a difference. As a veteran you should be ashamed to be told that.

www.woundedwarriorproject.org

[edit on 5-8-2006 by stanstheman]

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   

You have voted stanstheman for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700

oh, i'm sorry, i must have served in a different military, because i thought the US military was an all volunteer military.

oh wait, it is all volunteer. you can choose not to fight....just dont join up. gee, why didnt i think of that?

again, desertions have been on the decline since 2000 folks....just check the numbers in my last post.

You make it sound so benign, the recruiters going into neighborhoods and malls full of desperate, uneducated kids. America has the lowest literacy rate in the Americas.
This is for a reason...so they can recruit sheeple and seagulliables.

Now let us rephrase what you said...laced with truth and reality.

"oh wait, it is all volunteer. you can choose not to murder....just dont join up..."

You have a system that sacrifices its youth.
This is a rite and ritual of the Fire Cults.

namaste

Raphael

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kachina

You make it sound so benign, the recruiters going into neighborhoods and malls full of desperate, uneducated kids. America has the lowest literacy rate in the Americas.

Raphael

you might want to try and sell that line of crap to someone who hasnt actually served in said military and therefore doesnt know any better.

basically what you just said is that the US military is full of illiterate idiots. care to back that up with some sources?

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kachina

Originally posted by snafu7700

"oh wait, it is all volunteer. you can choose not to murder....just dont join up..."

You have a system that sacrifices its youth.
This is a rite and ritual of the Fire Cults.

namaste

Raphael

Funny the Army found my husband at the University of Pennsylvania, that's an Ivy League school. And my two brothers-in-law have four graduate degrees between them including MBAs. I can only guess that you haven't tried to get in to our military because it isn't as easy as you think. Sure there are some dumb soldiers who didn't get good counseling before they joined, but really how dare you talk about my country's military that way? Your ignorance is blinding, you should stop posting until you educate yourself, honestly it's a teensy bit sad. And namaste right back atcha.

[edit on 5-8-2006 by stanstheman]

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Then we'd be France.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join