It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spelling and grammar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Ok, grammar isn't that important when you're typing these forum type messages, but what about spelling?

The obvious "cuz" instead of "because" is not offensive, because it is simply an easier way to type, but how about the errors with the word "sight" for instance? As in "I love this sight" when it should be "site" or "He sited the Bible" when it should be "cited"?.

How about other misspellings? Do they frustrate you? Do they make the posts with the errors any more difficult to read for anyone but me?

Am I being obsessive or are there others like me out there that want to correct the errors, and the posters?

Realizing that not all posters are English speakers as a first language and giving slack, still don't you think there could be a "spell check" built in to the forums, at the very least?

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by curiousity
Realizing that not all posters are English speakers as a first language and giving slack, still don't you think there could be a "spell check" built in to the forums, at the very least?

Praise the lord!

Why can't you teach us proper English?

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I'm not sure why a member who spells a word or two wrong would frustrate yourself.

Often I'll make a mistake and use, there instead of their. When I get off in alittle rant here, sometimes grammatical errors are made. Not really a big deal. My post should be judged on what is being said, not how it was typed.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
One or two words wrong is ok. To err is human. Typos happen.

But some people are so bad with spelling that I feel compelled to u2u them a link to Google Toolbar so they can at least do a spell-check before they submit their post. It's not annoying, but for me, it makes what they type seem less credible or intelligent. But this only applies if English is their native language.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
[edit on 6-8-2006 by Lysergic]

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Spelling and grammar doesn't bother me unless it is excessive to the point where I can't understand what they are saying, or if it is obvious that they are doing it on purpose. However I am definatly not perfect with grammar and spelling myself.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Google Toolbar helps tremendously with the spelling bit. As for grammar, well, can't say I'm that perfect with it either...

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
The whole point of this misspelling craze is to save time. So when people write something like:

"OMG I was @ da gym 2day n I saw jon jonsons dad foolin wiv sum1 who aint is jon jonsons ma."

I think okay. That's acceptable. It only grinds my gears when they spell a word wrong AND make it longer than the original word anyway (like sight for site).

Also misuse of words is pretty
. When its rushed and things like using the wrong there i Understand. But when there's entire 4000 character posts using wrong words and wrong spelling its pretty maddening.

The OTHER thing (ain't I a grumpy young man tonight?) is when people just clump there words together nonstop. If you look at this post. I paragraph alot. I do this because for you reading it, it makes it easier to actually see and it doesn't just look like a mess of letters attacking you.

Well thats me done. Bed now!

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   
It really only bothers me, if it's in the subject line.

And Like others have said, if it's throughout a post, making it unreadable, or hard to understand.

Otherwise, as long as I get the gist of what is being said, I can overlook it.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Misspellings only bothers me when its excessive and I actually have to concentrate to figure out what they are saying.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by JackofBlades
The whole point of this misspelling craze is to save time. So when people write something like:

"OMG I was @ da gym 2day n I saw jon jonsons dad foolin wiv sum1 who aint is jon jonsons ma."

I think okay. That's acceptable. It only grinds my gears when they spell a word wrong AND make it longer than the original word anyway (like sight for site).

I only find that acceptable for SMS messages, since there's no QWERTY keyboard on (most) mobile phones. Therefore it makes good sense. Otherwise it annoys me almost as much as "leet-speak". Or is that 1337-5p34k? Damned irritating

Edit to add - I totally agree with this bit:

Originally posted by JackofBlades
The OTHER thing (ain't I a grumpy young man tonight?) is when people just clump there words together nonstop. If you look at this post. I paragraph alot. I do this because for you reading it, it makes it easier to actually see and it doesn't just look like a mess of letters attacking you.

Sometimes I'll just skim through the post if there's no paragraphs or if the paragraphs are excessively long and contain many, many points. A good rule of thumb is to present one or two points per para.

So a paragraph should consist of a sentence for the point, another to support the point and perhaps a third for examples illustrating the point. That makes for a good, well structured piece of writing. Also, the last sentence in the para should preferably link with the next point you're about to make in the next para.

[edit on 8-8-2006 by Beachcoma]

new topics

top topics

join