It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anniversary of worlds largest Terrorist Attack

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Sigh.. just one of those kids who think the ones who win in mutual warfare are the evil ones, go on back to your little picture perfect world where we all frollock in the fields together singing songs around fires about world peace and the brotherhood of mankind.

He can't...they turned the field into a new cemetery to bury all the dead soldiers from over three years of a war the U.S. is the aggressor in.

The frollock just isn't what it used to be.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The use of nuclear weapons on Japans civillian populous was to create fear and terror amongst its people, using civillian deaths, in order to force them to back down... last I checked, that was terrorism.

And, if people haven't forgotten already, the Japanese government had been trying to give surrender options all summer, all of which were ignored, because the US wanted to use their new toy, to prove a point to the rest of the world that they had it.

[edit on 6-8-2006 by johnsky]

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
well if you think i'm mistaken then let me know, but i dont belive i am.

i dunno i been outta school a long time, but i do remeber learning while i was there that the bomb was direct retaliation for the pearl harbor bombing.

japan at that point in time was outta control and needed to be taught a lesson. they was waring with a lot of people, especially china, and couldnt resolve their differences with the us peacefully, so i feel they had it coming to them.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
And a word on Pearl Harbor...

Firstly, ever since the Japanese had allied themselves with Germany and Italy, the USG had been trying to provoke them into war. The US blocked Japanese ships' access to the Panama canal, for example, and the ultimate sanction was a complete oil embargo.

It is not uncontroversial but it seems highly likely that the US and UK governments knew an attack was imminent, and they may even have known that an attack on Hawaii was planned. Many records have been destroyed and many - such as message traffic between Churchill and Roosevelt - are classified to this day, long after the "thirty year rule" that normally applies in the UK.

Admiral Kimmel was asked about it after the war and he said, "I'll tell you what I believe. I think that most of the incriminating records have been destroyed. ... I doubt if the truth will ever emerge."

For me it seems highly likely that the parallels between Pearl Harbor and 9/11 are deeper than they seem, and in ways that the hyper-patriots don't want to think about.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
hey, a graveyard is just as fun to play in as any other field.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Yes, ofcourse. The nuclear bombing of Japan was really a 'mutual' exchange.
Please let's embrace some common sense here.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   
well the fact that the japanese was allied with the germans and hitler was a sign they was out of control and needed to be stop.

im not gonna say that they was evil at the time, but they were doing things that were unsafe and they were allied with people who were quite dangerous, so you saying thats ok and we should have just let hitler and the japs take over the world?

i understand being nuked is a tragic thing but honestly i dont see how people can say it was the US fault. lets say that they DID provke japan into attacking....japan was still aligned with germany, so they was just as dangerous as the nazis.

and yeah it was a mutal exchange...they bomb us we bomb back, sounds mutal to me.... only difference is we did it with better weapons.

it certainly was not a terrorist attack as this thread leads you to belive.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The continental united states was never struck by japanese weaponary.. unless you count those rather pathetic looking pacific hot-air balloons. And they were targetting forests.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
so what if the 'continental' US wasn't struck? hawaii is part of the US, pearl harbor was part of the US, and it WAS struck by japanese weaponry. american lives were lost to a japanese attack. thousands of americans died in the pacific fighting the japanese back to their island. many more chinese died at the hands of the japanese - atrocious war crimes were committed by japan. japan was possibly the strongest of the axis forces due to sheer warrior code and ability - they weren't going to surrender unconditionally without a massive show of force.

and it had to be an unconditional surrender - there is no bargaining with the person who struck first.

whether or not our government allowed it (prove it), it wasn't exactly an invitation.

i like how everyone neatly avoids the points i make in order to push forward their own opinions.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I just think this thread is someone pushing a political agenda, and a weak one not thought out at that. As there are many, many, many more bigger terrorist attacks.

How about the 1932-1933 famine in the Soviet Union that killed an estimated 5 to 10 million people from the collectivation of the farming sector, and Joseph Stalin kept exporting grain outside of the country, and did not feed his people.

Or God letting it rain for 40 days and 40 nights and killing everyone on the planet, except for the the people on Noah's ark.

or the millions of people Mao Se Tung murdered in China.

Pel Pot in Cambodia

A dude named Hitler.

The atomic bomb was a military weapon used to help end the war with fewer American causulites as the goal to get there. You are entitiled to your opinion on this subject. But my grandfather is probably alive today, because he did not have to invade Japan. This was a war started by Japan.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
The continental united states was never struck by japanese weaponary.. unless you count those rather pathetic looking pacific hot-air balloons. And they were targetting forests.

They were hardly "targetting forests". They LANDED in forests, but there was also an attack planned, but I don't remember if it was carried out, to sail a submarine carrier to the west coast, and launch an air raid from it.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I know not of a country that did not commit atrocious war crimes in WW2. Let that be clear. As for this topic which is predictably degenerating into a debate (sadly no respect toward the history) I furnish you with this link, however you may take it.

Admiral William Leahy, top military aide to President Truman, said in his war memoirs, I Was There: "It is my opinion that the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons. My own feeling is that in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages." And General Dwight Eisenhower agreed.

www.lewrockwell.com...

www.doug-long.com...

Many, many, more sources available if you look.

This is a pretty open and shut case. It's time to treat it with some respect.

[edit on 6/8/06 by SteveR]

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by rich23
And a word on Pearl Harbor...

Firstly, ever since the Japanese had allied themselves with Germany and Italy, the USG had been trying to provoke them into war. The US blocked Japanese ships' access to the Panama canal, for example, and the ultimate sanction was a complete oil embargo.

I was just gonna address this to all the "Japan attacked Pearl Harbour without provocation crowd." Looks like you beat me to it. Hats off to you

On topic: I would consider Hiroshima and Nagasaki a terrorist attack for the exact same reason Val posted earlier.

Call a spade a spade, don't call a spade a sponge.

Edit - Missing quotation mark. In programming that would be a bitch.

[edit on 6-8-2006 by Beachcoma]

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
They were hardly "targetting forests". They LANDED in forests, but there was also an attack planned, but I don't remember if it was carried out, to sail a submarine carrier to the west coast, and launch an air raid from it.

I suggest you do some research, the whole point of them was to target forests.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I just can't grasp some peoples line of thought!! honestly! .... The US is at war and because they used a bigger weapon it was terrorism? How the bloody hell does that honestly work into common sense? Would you rather we did a ground invasion? No.. I forgot you rather no war at all of course how could I forget, when one side lays down the arms everyone else is awoken and they to just drop those guns and back to plowing feilds. BS!!!!!! It doesnt work that way, when in our history has it EVER.

Last I checked, the ones who didn't have armies, who where weaker then others where killed by the stroner guy! Japan fought America, it was open all out war and they got nuked, to bad but hey, shouldn't have messed with us, it is a game that won't end and it is illogical to think it could.

Valhall your magic wonderland where the field that you and the anti war folk used to frollock will be at maximum capcity with graves if America and other nations did't put so much fear and scare the hell out of dictators and world bullies. When the worlds power stands down, dictators rule the world, and when you see the slaughter, rape, pillaging of defensless people you will scream at your telivision in confusion! Because you thought if we didn't go to war, the world would be fine. WAKE UP and understand human nature does not allow that to happen, that someone is always trying to get to the top, no one wants to be equal and that no one truly cares what the cost are to get the power.

Go on thinking any act of war is a crime, go on thinking the world can be a peaceful place and we can put aside cultural, religous, ethnical, racial, economic, government, moral, locational differences and that we can be friends. Wont happen, sucks, but it wont happen.

The one thing I don't get is when the people like you guys, Valhall, and you SteveR speak out against these "crimes" that you think are just oh-so terrible, you give no direction as to what can fix it, what can stop the wars, what can make people nice to one another. Why not answer that, why not solve the worlds problems, you speak against wars like there is an alternative, or do you just not understand them so you just see the poor little civilians dieing that you simple say war is bad. War is bad, but what is the alternative to blowing eachother up?

Enlighten me, please, enlighten me.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Dude, please.. if you don't see any alternative to "blowing each other up" you have been fed by too much MSM.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   

I did not intend to create a debate about this,

REPLY: If true, then this should be on BTS and not ATS.

The use of those bombs saved the lives of at least 1 million+ people, but that matters little to those who hate western civilization.

WW2 occurred at a time when the way to win wars was to wipe out as many of the population as possible; America wasn't the first to follow those principles. However, after that we spent many years and untold millions to develop weapons that minimize damage to civilians. Guess what? ... still we get criticized. Since there are those who "feel" we are the same evil country, then we should accommodate their classification and go back to carpet-bombing.... just so they'll "feel" justified.

It used to be: "The aggressor sets the rules of engagement" .... we should have used that in Iraq; you know ..... butcher a few terrrorists, hang them from lamp posts and set them on fire......

Overwhelming force is the only way to win a war; unfortunately, political correctness has come to "save the day", which only means that conflicts are of longer duration, and more people die.

There's no need to memorialize them now, as it's been done every year since then. They are now a Democracy, with a fairly stable economy, and we rebuilt their cities, and they are now among our allies. Job Well Done.

Terrorism: Noun def: The calculated use of violence (or threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear.

Hmmmmm ..... sounds like Ham-ass, Al Queda and Hezbubble to me.

"Memorial" thread ....... what a joke.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Well if thread has achieved anything, it has proven how some Americans see the rest of the world.

I have always been very pro -US however it does get harder everyday.

It seems most in this forum think that WW2 start with the bombing of Pearl Harbour. Just because the US didn't enter until 41 doesn't mean the Japanese weren't causing terrible atrocities already against other western countries.

Australia has always been there to support the US. While we do not have the population we certainly do provide the strategic position.

Not trying to start anything or derail this thread but I ask you all to think about your allies and that WW2 didn't start with Pearl Harbour.

[edit on 6/8/06 by tkmelb]

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

...and when you see the slaughter, rape, pillaging of defensless people you will scream at your telivision in confusion!

I know exactly what you're talking about! Because I've done this several times just in the past 3 years.

HOW'D YOU KNOW THAT!?

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Gosh, and you? He found me out too!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join