It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anniversary of worlds largest Terrorist Attack

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I'm glad they have this option here.

Ignore this user (info)

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Hiroshima wasn't a terrorist attack. If the japanese didn't want it to happen, perhaps they shouldn't've attacked the US and joined forces with the Nazis.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
let's not forget Japan tried to surrender some two weeks before

This is only a half truth. They tried to "surrender", but it was a conditional surrender. The US sought unconditional surrender. Even after having hiroshima bombed, they still didn't unconditionally surrender.

Besides, whats it matter, they used their state to create an empire, and attacked the US. That opened the doors for their destruction. Such is war.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Besides the fact that Japan and America were at war, America warned Japan numerous times that they were prepared to use a weapon of unimaginable power. Leaflets were dropped over Hiroshima telling people to leave. Some left, but most stayed. The bomb was dropped, and yet the Japanese administration didn't care. Truman told them another bomb would be dropped if they did not surrender. I'm pretty sure they were given 3 days. Once again, the Japanese did nothing and so another bomb was dropped.

We didn't bomb the two cities because there were civilians there. We bombed them because they had factories that were being used to aid the Japanese war machine. They were warned.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
They never tried to surrender the way the the country (Who they surprised bimbed) wanted. They tried to make a deal with the USSR. That is not surrendering, that is allying with a known future enemy.

They called the A-Bomb, "A Magical Weapon."

But I think I am over the idea of terrorism. I don't believe it is a true word, with a true definition. Depending on the POV, terrorism can be sugar-coated or barbaric, yet the outcomes seem nafariously the same.

AAC

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Hmmm without provocation you say? I'm going to call that an opinion at best if indeed we were 'attacked' on 9-11. As to your other point, yeah those filthy japs deserved to have CITIES nuked. Screw military targets, embargos, or their attempts to surrender.
214,000 people, almost all of them civilians, they were just filthy Japs huh? You're a monster.

When did I ever say they were just filthy japs? They were however the enemy of my country. Your putting words in my mouth so STOP IT!

As someone else posted, those cities were chosen because of the factories there not because they had civilians there.

Truth be told I have more respect for a loyal Japenese than a commie-liberal-revoulutionist wannabe

at least they were worthy adversaries.....

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Let us remember and hope this doesn't happen in the future.

You have voted Valhall for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Lets all stick to the topic, and the topic is not 'are the japanese evil subhumans' or 'who is an evil commie' etc.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
Tomorrow, August the 6th, 2006, will be the 61st anniversary of the worlds most deadly and destructive terrorist attack - the only time weapons of mass destruction have been used in anger in this planets history:

The bombing of Hiroshima

I would like to offer my respects to the 140,000 that died in that year from the first bomb alone, and my heart goes out to the ones that are still suffering though the after effects of that horrible weapon, including the thousands of hibakusha that have survived since that day.

In 4 days, there will most unfortunately be another anniversary, this one for the bombing of Nagasaki, where approximately 74,000 died.

I can only hope we will never have to add a third to that list, and thank God for the many around the world that are working to keep it that way.

[edit on 5/8/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

the attack on pearl harbor was a terrorist attack not the dropping of an Abomb on japan. they got it coming to them on that moment.
you had to life then to taste en experience the feelings of the US people during the war after the terrorist attack on pearl harbor.
and before taking side of japan on this realise that japan did had camps just like nazi germany and many people died in those camps. many people from the netherlands included.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 25cents
the thing is that the japanese attacked without provocation, whereas the US used overwhelming force to end a struggle that would have gone on for years.

yes, it's sad that innocents had to die. yes, it was a devastating and horrific event. it was meant to be - we HAD to bring the japanese to their knees, quick.

calling the bombings a terrorist attack is absurd - it's ignorant. congrats on using the terminology of today to besmirch the name of America once again. apparently we're simple minded cretins who run the world simply by grunting and pointing, beating everyone who doesn't comply fast enough.

once again, i feel for the innocents who die in any attack, but remember that this was a time before the geneva convention, when any means necessary to end the biggest war in history had to be taken.

the japanese 'sucker punch' could absolutely be more appropriately deemed a terrorist attack than the bombs. the sinking of that merchant ship (the lithuania? i forget the name) would be even more appropriate still.

i'm disappointed in you, WTR. i didn't think you were a part of the anti-America propaganda machine.

I think you misunderstand. I am not calling the Nuking's and act of Terror, but I was questioning the logic behind thinking the Kamikaze attacks were an act of Terror where as the Nuking were acts of war. Both are one or the other.

Also, there were no Kamikaze attacks until the end of the war.. There were none on Pearl Harbour.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
If you want to compare the A-bombs to terrorism, then I suggest you look at the other side of the coin. Look into the Bataan Death March for starters. Then into Nanking and other Chinese cities. Then into medical experiments carried out on LIVING Allied POWS.

Yes, the A-bombs were terrible, but they were dropped on MILITARY cities, of a country we were at war with, and in the end they SAVED millions of lives. Not just American lives, but Japanese as well. The Japanese were taught that the Americans were brutal, evil barabarians, who only wanted to rape and slaughter them. This teaching led to the mass suicides in Saipan and other locations.

I'm not saying that the Japanese deserved it, and I'm not saying they were barbarians. But if you're going to call the Americans terrorists for dropping the Bomb, then I suggest you open your mind a little bit and look at BOTH sides of the issue.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
All as bad as each other.

The fact that point of views have not changed one iota since the end of the war, stuns me to no end.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
From seeing you have a picture of Osama on your Avatar, and by calling the nuke bombings in WWII against our agressor, we can only guess where you stand, along with any disgusting nut case that would ever think of agreeing with you.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
From seeing you have a picture of Osama on your Avatar, and by calling the nuke bombings in WWII against our agressor, we can only guess where you stand, along with any disgusting nut case that would ever think of agreeing with you.

Ah, you beat me to it. I though I should read all the posts before I said anything...

[edit on 7/29/2006 by soul_failure]

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
I think you misunderstand. I am not calling the Nuking's and act of Terror, but I was questioning the logic behind thinking the Kamikaze attacks were an act of Terror where as the Nuking were acts of war. Both are one or the other.

Also, there were no Kamikaze attacks until the end of the war.. There were none on Pearl Harbour.

um, yes, there were. flying your plane into a boat is kamikaze.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   
don't go crying for japan...they started it by bombing pearl harbor. america was never involved until after they bombed us so i say they had every right to turn hiroshima into a parking lot.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spawwwn
don't go crying for japan...they started it by bombing pearl harbor. america was never involved until after they bombed us so i say they had every right to turn hiroshima into a parking lot.

Thats such a simplistic view on WW2 I'm not even going to bother trying to enlighten you as to what did actually happen. I have a feeling, from what you said above, you wont listen or care to listen.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Don't worry stumason. Just another one of those apathetic pro-war kids. They will understand when they're ready.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Perhaps SteveR but most likely the view on WWII won't change because it is recorded fact that Japan agressed us, whether we let it happen or not, and that it is a fact if we did not nuke Japan we would have done a ground invasion which would have led to a few more years of fighting and hundreds of thousands of cassualties on both sides.

Sigh.. just one of those kids who think the ones who win in mutual warfare are the evil ones, go on back to your little picture perfect world where we all frollock in the fields together singing songs around fires about world peace and the brotherhood of mankind.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Perhaps SteveR but most likely the view on WWII won't change because it is recorded fact that Japan agressed us, whether we let it happen or not, and that it is a fact if we did not nuke Japan we would have done a ground invasion which would have led to a few more years of fighting and hundreds of thousands of cassualties on both sides.

Sigh.. just one of those kids who think the ones who win in mutual warfare are the evil ones, go on back to your little picture perfect world where we all frollock in the fields together singing songs around fires about world peace and the brotherhood of mankind.

Yes, it is well known they attacked you, but there are a multitude of reasons as to why everything happened the way it did. To paint the picture of complete innocence on one parties part and decry the other as the evil aggressor is to ignore history.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join