It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do most Ufologists and other people in the field have beards?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 02:41 AM
link   
In my opinion, their "bearded image" is hurting the UFO community. I was talking with some friends the other night, who are extremely skeptical by the way, and they pointed out that "the men who make these crazy claims, those guys with beards" and laughed a little as if it were funny. I don't know what it is with ufologists and facial hair but I think it is just another distraction...

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Sounds to me their pretty damn shallow if they instantly discredit someone because of a beard...

I mean really.

Beards are kew mang

www.nationalbeardregistry.org...

[edit on 5-8-2006 by Lysergic]

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Sounds to me their pretty damn shallow if they instantly discredit someone because of a beard...

I mean really.

Beards are kew mang

www.nationalbeardregistry.org...

Yes, they might be shallow people, but you seem to be missing the point...

People associate power and knowledge with figures such as presidents and politicians. You don't see any of those men with facial hair. Is it just a coincidence that many ufologists happen to have big bushy beards? Isn't there some kind of explanation?

And also, they do not instantly discredit someone because of a beard, but it is just another distraction for them to point out and make fun of instead of focusing on the important things...

[edit on 5-8-2006 by Diplomat]

[edit on 5-8-2006 by Diplomat]

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 02:54 AM
link   
"Why do most Ufologists and other people in the field have beards?"

.............you're kidding... right?

Just because Stanton Friedman has a beard doesn't make it "most".

Look at Steven Greer, William Cooper, and many others.

It's as if you said, "Why do most college professors have beards? I think it really hurts the educational process." :shk:

I think your friends need to focus on less superficial things and stop overgeneralizing.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Well they don't believe in the existence of UFOs then?

So they attack the person not the topic?

Beards in politics a no no?

I'd say blame pop culture for giving it a bad image, they equate it with being unkempt...

Stereotypes suck eh?

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by redmage
"Why do most Ufologists and other people in the field have beards?"

.............you're kidding... right?

Just because Stanton Friedman has a beard doesn't make it "most".

Look at Steven Greer, William Cooper, and many others.

It's as if you said, "Why do most college professors have beards? I think it really hurts the educational process." :shk:

I think your friends need to focus on less superficial things and stop overgeneralizing.

So you're saying people like my friends, who have basically no ufo knowledge, are just pulling these stereotypes out of their asses? Don't you think there must be a reason that people have these "bearded stereotypes" about people associated with ufo research?

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Yeah, Lincoln was a nobody with a beard.

Originally posted by LysergicI'd say blame pop culture for giving it a bad image, they equate it with being unkempt...

Stereotypes suck eh?

As to pop culture, maybe is a subconcious thing.

Osama has a beard so.....

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat
So you're saying people like my friends, who have basically no ufo knowledge, are just pulling these stereotypes out of their asses? Don't you think there must be a reason that people have these "bearded stereotypes" about people associated with ufo research?

Yes I think they're pulling it out of their arses, and I think you answered your own question about it with, "people like my friends, who have basically no ufo knowledge".

[edit on 8/5/06 by redmage]

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Richard Dolan - author of one of the best books about the UFO subject (UFOS and the National Security State) doesn't have a beard. Get your friends to check him out.

And yes, they're pulling the stereotype out of their asses and being superficial.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 03:09 AM
link   
There obviously has to be a relation in my friend's mind between the UFO field and beards. You can't simply pull that out of nowhere, because whether you want to admit it or not, there are a lot of ufologists/scientists/whatever that have beards. People are obviously associating this stereotype with the ufo field for a reason...

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 04:39 AM
link   

There obviously has to be a relation in my friend's mind between the UFO field and beards.

There is, they're superficial and, as you said, your friends basically have no ufo knowledge.

They've likely never seen anything to do with UFOlogy that didn't have Stanton Friedman involved so, he's probably the only person they even come close to remembering.

Because they "have no ufo knowledge" they've probably never heard of Peter A. Sturrock, Don Berliner, Jerome Clark, Bernard Haisch, Dr. James Harder, Budd Hopkins, Linda Moulton Howe, Bob Lazar, Sally Hester, Dr. Bruce Maccabee, James McCampbell, Don Ledger, Dr. Michael D. Swords, Dr. Jacques F. Vallee, Georgina Bruni, Judith Magee, Moira McGhee, Mary Rodwell, Sylvia Sutton, Cláudio Tsuyoshi Suenaga, Ademar AJ. Gevaerd, Timothy Good, Nick Pope, Jenny Randles, Nick Redfern, Nigel Watson, Roberto Pinotti, Dr. Carl Edward Sagan, and a host of others.

You can't simply pull that out of nowhere

Obviously, since "have no ufo knowledge", they can.

whether you want to admit it or not, there are a lot of ufologists/scientists/whatever that have beards.

Yes there are "ufologists/scientists/whatever" with beards, but, that does not mean that "most" ufologists do, nor that you (or your friends) should judge someone based on facial hair.

People are obviously associating this stereotype with the ufo field for a reason...

Yup, they're superficial, and as you said, your friends basically have no ufo knowledge.

They've likely never seen anything to do with UFOlogy that didn't have Stanton Friedman involved so he's probably the only person that they even come close to remembering and associating with the field.

[edit on 8/5/06 by redmage]

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   

There obviously has to be a relation in my friend's mind between the UFO field and beards. You can't simply pull that out of nowhere, because whether you want to admit it or not, there are a lot of ufologists/scientists/whatever that have beards. People are obviously associating this stereotype with the ufo field for a reason...

Yes, there is. Their image is likely based on the few UFO specials they've glanced, so they remember the beards...

Thing is...most academics wear beards in my experience...but I realize that is only a small sampling. However, you wouldn't discredit particle physics just because the guys aren't fond of shaving? The attack is a weak ad hominem fallacy, used when they cannot produce a valid argument of a logical nature.... Ignorance is bliss, so allow them to live in bliss if you like. OR.... SHOW THEM THE MONEY! Show them some of the better cases (check one of the topped thread for some of the more infamous ones). Show them the evidence, and let them see for themselves and decide for themselves, if these bearded guys are onto something.....

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
A large amount of facial hair is distracting no matter what the profession. If you go to a job interview to be a sales rep with a big bushy beard, your less likely to get the job than some clean shaven fella with a cool hairstyle even with the same qualifications.. fact!

These researchers and scientists that have beards aren't looking for a job or working in a profession where image is important. They try to impress people with their discoveries rather than their looks. IMO you'r more likely to believe a bloke witha beard than a smarmy bloke with a cool hairdo!

Just for the record, i don't have a big bushy beard

[edit on 5-8-2006 by fiftyfifty]

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Good thread on this! They might have beard to be respected among humans. Usually people have beard to look more than others. If they are forced to remove it for laboratory rules, they might do it. Actually, they are supposed to do it!

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I won't pretend to speak for all UFOlogists as I have no idea of their motives for facial hair or not. My own reasons are lack of time and work doesn't require me to be clean shaven. While I don't wear a full beard just a fu manchu, I do find myself going some amount of days without shaving. This is likely caused by the fact I work a regular job about 10 hours a day and then spend my spare time conducting research and field investigations. By the time my day is done I have not the will to shave(mornings don't work either as I usually barely have time for coffee). So sometimes I may go a week without shaving.

Ok now you can say you've seen everything here on the UFO forum.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Well, aside from the tin foil hat, the beard is man kinds next greatest defence.
You see, the beard if the spitting image of MAN; Aliens, who are clearly not manly (Due to lack of facial hair- i.e:beard, scruff, moustaches, etc. Or any hair.)
Thus, the sheer power of the beards image alone is enough to keep aliens at bay.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Well, if everyone wanted to stereotype. Look at most political scientists. The majority of them have beards. Philosophy the same way. I personally have a beard. The reason why i have it. Other than me looking 12 without it. Is to make myself appear older, more distinguist, etc. When talking to profs, interviews etc. Personally i think alot of students in all learning areas. Grow beards. Why you may ask. Why take 10 mins to shave. When i have all these papers to do.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
It's my wife's beard; I just carry it around for her.

Actually, I read somewhere a long time ago that the short-hair, clean-shaven look didn't become universally popular until the advent of mass military build-ups in the 20th century (ie, the World Wars), when it became a matter of life-and-death to have a proper-fitting gas mask (or oxygen mask, etc.). Since everyone loves a guy in uniform, clean-cut became associated with patriotism, valor, and honesty; scruffy became asociated with revolution and anarchy. Hence, politicians, businessmen, and any other males who wished to be "in" adopted the clean look.

Just 100 years ago, many people wouldn't trust a baby-faced male, thinking them too inexperienced, or even a bit on the effeminant side.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   

In my opinion, their "bearded image" is hurting the UFO community. I was talking with some friends the other night, who are extremely skeptical by the way, and they pointed out that "the men who make these crazy claims, those guys with beards" and laughed a little as if it were funny. I don't know what it is with ufologists and facial hair but I think it is just another distraction...

Hmmm... I have a beard and long hair, and quite an interest in extraterrestrials, occult, secret societies... There is a pattern, I think

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
wow. im surprised that this thread had so many seriously perturbed people.

i think that people think a beard makes them look more scholarly like someone else said. maybe someone should compile a list of ufo researchers with beards and without to get at the real truth. me? im too lazy.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join