It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of Thousands in Pro-Hezbollah Demo in Baghdad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Hundreds of thousands of Iraqi Shiites were marching the streets of Baghdad today chanting "Death to Israel". If all of these demonstrators were given Kalashnikovs, I'm sure they could make a lot of mess. Also it seems like Iraq might be heading towards a civil war. This does not look good...

BakuTODAY.net: Hundreds of thousands of Iraqi Shiites in pro-Hezbollah demo

04/08/2006 23:24

Hundreds of thousands of Iraqi Shiites thronged Baghdad chanting "Death to Israel!" and "Resistance!" in a massive demonstration of support for Lebanon's Hezbollah militia.

Last week the Pentagon increased the number of US soldiers in Iraq to around 130,000 by extending the tours of some 3,700 combat troops by an extra 120 days to help quell the sectarian violence in Baghdad.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Hundreds of thousands!?!

Related ATS Threads:
UK Abassador in Baghdad: "civil war in Iraq"
200,000 Kalashnikov Machine Guns "Gone Missing"?

Peace...

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Here's another source. Al-Sadr claimed there were a million people demonstrating. A US military spokeman said they by a drone aircraft could see only about 14,000 people. Reporters at the scene said there were hundreds of thousands.

AFP: Hundreds of thousands of Iraqi Shiites in pro-Hezbollah demo

The march -- organized by radical cleric Moqtada al-Sadr -- was the largest foreign show of support for the Lebanese Shiite guerrillas in the three weeks since Israel launched a devastating ground and air offensive against them

The size and fervour of the rally stoked political tensions in Baghdad, where Sadr's movement has tense relations with the city's Sunni minority, US-led coalition forces and Iraq's fragile government of national unity.

Estimates of the size of the crowd varied wildly. While Sadr's officials insisted a million people had turned out, US military spokesman Major Steven Stover said images taken by drone aircraft showed only 14,000. There was no official government estimate, but reporters at the scene said hundreds of thousands of people had taken to the streets. The Shiite demonstrators wore white shrouds to demonstrate their willingness to accept martyrdom. They marched over US and Israeli flags and waved hundreds of yellow Hezbollah flags in support of the militia's war against Israel.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I'm glad you pointed out the discrepancy in the numbers, Hellmutt.

It's amazing to me that three sources can put forward three wildly different estimates.

So how many people actually showed up?

A million strikes me as just plain silly. I could be wrong, but that seems too far-fetched for me to believe - and obviously the source is suspect. On the other end of the spectrum, the US military claims 14k. That seems like a lot of people, but not when compared to the estimates of reporters on the scene, who said 'hundreds of thousands.'

How can we get to the bottom of this?

Does the US military have a concrete reason to lie?

They don't have nearly the incentive that Sadr does...

Could it be that reporters on the ground couldn't get an accurate picture because they were too close?

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I don't think the US military necessarily lied. They said this was the number they could see from images taken by the drone. Then again, they probably have an interest in keeping this number low. Al-Sadr on the other hand has interests in inflating the actual number of people. The reporters at the scene might have been mistaken as it's sometimes difficult to estimate the number of people in a huge crowd. So I guess we might never know exactly how many there were. But I assume there were many.

top topics

join