It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Next Car - The Tesla!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I LOVE this roady!

The Tesla
(named after you know who).

Changing Perceptions

We needed to change perceptions of electric vehicles in a big way. To make electric cars a viable alternative, we set out to build one that was gorgeous and thrilling to drive.

Batteries that are not toxic to the environment!

The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just between you and me)
by Elon Musk
Chairman of the Board
published Wednesday, August 2nd, 2006

The strategy of Tesla is to enter at the high end of the market, where customers are prepared to pay a premium, and then drive down market as fast as possible to higher unit volume and lower prices with each successive model.

Without giving away too much, I can say that the second model will be a sporty four door family car at roughly half the $89k price point of the Tesla Roadster and the third model will be even more affordable. In keeping with a fast growing technology company, all free cash flow is plowed back into R&D to drive down the costs and bring the follow on products to market as fast as possible. When someone buys the Tesla Roadster sports car, they are actually helping pay for development of the low cost family car.

Blog

I've always had a love affair with the road, and for one cent a mile? Who couldn't afford that? Gots to get a plan, maybe in 4 years I can have last years model.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
My question is: how much would it cost to replace all of the batteries after the 100,000-125,000 miles that they last? I heard it was extremely expensive to do it, but I'm not sure if it was a reliable source. Any idea how much it would be?

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Be sure to check out this thread for lots of valuable information as well.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   
No, I hardly know anything about this, but that I love it. It charges on solar power, I believe.

But... from his blog:

Batteries that are not toxic to the environment!

I wouldn’t recommend them as a dessert topping, but the Tesla Motors Lithium-Ion cells are not classified as hazardous and are landfill safe. However, dumping them in the trash would be throwing money away, since the battery pack can be sold to recycling companies (unsubsidized) at the end of its greater than 100,000-mile design life. Moreover, the battery isn’t dead at that point, it just has less range.

If General Motors gets their fingers on the parts end, maybe there will be some competition for parts? And jobs in Detroit or where ever they make those things?

Dang, Mage. I looked thru the 1st page too for a thread on this topic. :p
(this is why I very seldom ever start a topic)

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Well, I read there was a solar option to it, but for the most part you need to plug it into an outlet for about 3 and a half hours to recharge it fully. Seems it would be pretty convenient.

Just worried if battery replacement could cost thousands.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I have an idea, maybe a mod can move this to BTS and we can just talk about how sexy it is.

Wotcha say ADVISOR, UM_Gazz, dbates, Djarums, junglejake, wecomeinpeace, SpittinCobra, Umbrax? Move this thread?

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Take care of the battery and it might last forever? Wouldn't that be nice?

If they want to move this thread, that'd be nice too. I need to get out of the hole!

BTS Points: -328

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by psyopswatcher
I have an idea, maybe a mod can move this to BTS and we can just talk about how sexy it is.

Bring on the BTS, this car is SEXAH!!!

[edit on 8/4/06 by redmage]

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Cute little car. Hopefully the technology will improve with time. $10,000.00 out of service area charge if you are out of service areas covered, must mean its gonna be an expensive car. Lets hope some big company doesnt come around to buy it just to shut them down.

Pie

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I love this car it is also developed by Lotus the car company I'm not surprise about how good the car is there the best of the best.

Now PICs!!!!!!!!!!!!

This run on a 190hp From Toyota!!!!

This is the Tesla when you look at it, it look to be a mix of the two.

You can see the similarity.

ALSO CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS IS A HYBRID!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
Cute little car. Hopefully the technology will improve with time. $10,000.00 out of service area charge if you are out of service areas covered, must mean its gonna be an expensive car. Lets hope some big company doesnt come around to buy it just to shut them down.

Pie

The Roadster will be 80 grand when it comes out. BTW I already posted this before a couple of weeks back.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   
That was pointed out to me, Sardion. Yes, I've been catching up on the reading on your thread and on the Teslamotors.com site I ran into yesterday. I like their business plan and I like your lesson in Economics101.

What do you think would be cheaper? Mandating that ALL cars have heavy and expensive pollution controls(lowering efficiency through added weight and added cost), or mandating that all Gas/Oil/Coal plants have pollution controls on them? Ask any enginner or engineering student(like me) and they will say the latter is cheaper(for the Tax Payers), more efficient(for everybody) and much cleaner.

Cheaper, Cleaner, and Greener... my new mantra

Check out Mark Morford's rant in SFGate:

Lick My Silent Sports Car
How much has Big Auto lied? Take a drive in this four-wheel electric orgasm, and find out

---snip---

Did I mention the Roadster costs about 80K? Who cares? The price is irrelevant. The fact that this car even exists in such a pure and obvious and performance-oriented form, does. Simply put, it is the most flagrant proof yet that we have been brutally, savagely misled.

See, they lie. And they've been lying for years, decades. They lie about how difficult it is to replace the internal combustion engine. They lie about how unfeasible it is to eliminate auto emissions without sacrificing real performance (the 130-mph Roadster's lithium-ion battery system is estimated to be twice as efficient as a Prius and three times as efficient as a hydrogen fuel cell. Not to mention Tesla's fabulous solar option).

But they lie, most of all, about how much we still require foreign oil, because these billion-dollar corporations claim they can't possibly afford to develop sufficiently advanced technology in your lifetime to create a 100-percent emissions-free, oil-free, ultragreen vehicle that still has all the comforts and performance of a regular car.

Nice pipe dream, they say. Here, have a bloated SUV, they say. Sorry about all your dead kids in Iraq, they add, smirking like a chimp and blowing their noses into a big pile of Halliburton profits.

Thanks for the pics, El Che. The Tesla pics were all in flash, and I didn't get around to finding any in google images just yet. Or edit the flash pics down from screen shots... bla bla baa

[edit on 5-8-2006 by psyopswatcher]

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Ok, here's your choice of colors:

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   
That car is pretty damn sexah! But it will kill the experience somewhat if it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Does it get slower as the energy runs out from the previous charge?

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voidmaster
Does it get slower as the energy runs out from the previous charge?

No it would just lose power after a fair bit of low battery warnings.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Wouldnt mind one... bookmarked it for sure ^_^

Gotta check in for prices in my area around 07

top topics

join