It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Limitations of human perception and knowledge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I was just reading DalairTheGreat's post what if aliens are just so small we cant see them?

It made me think about how much we know compared to how much we don't know. We are constantly looking for answers to unexplained mysteries conventionally using what we already know to come to a conclusion.

The idea that aliens could be so small that we can't se them could well be true, but i think that it is likely that they exist in a form that is unknown to us. Maybe not humanoid, not insectoid, not blobs, not microscopic. They are something that we have never come across and can't be associated with anything we know!

The same goes for what created the universe. It could be a force or event that is so comlex that the human mind can't comprehend it.

Why do we assume that the rational explanatins are correct. I don't think our brains are able to understand anything extra-terrestrial until they are presented with some kind of visual or material evidence, which as of yet, hasn't been done.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
We have been rased in a closeminded world, it's not wierd that we think very limited!

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
just remember in the west we are just programmed all our lifes to be consumers.

but on a side note about what you wrote, it probably is easy to block our minds to thoughts about stuff that would create answers, i do not know if you know what i mean by that, but some may.

just like ants on an ant hill have no perception really of us, and would have no way of understanding us either.

do you guys ever wonder if they have taken some kids, and raised them in a totaly different way of perception, and is that possible, to have been raised as a kid outside the accepted norms. i suppose if you believe in the 100 monkey syndrome, you will say a person cannot be programmed differently, but maybe there are ways.

[edit on 4-8-2006 by andy1033]

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   

but on a side note about what you wrote, it probably is easy to block our minds to thoughts about stuff that would create answers, i do not know if you know what i mean by that, but some may.

I do know what you mean and it's really hard for me to try and explain what i mean lol.

Even the scientests out there who think that they are finding the answers are limited by 'what they are able to understand' We could be staring a whole new reality in the face and not realise it or notice it because it is unknown to us. does that make any sense?

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
We are little animals with short life-spans that evolved in a such a way that all we needed for our DNA to continue was a relatively good handle on a three-dimensional world and a strong desire to breed. We don't even see , and can't comprehend even half of the dimensions of spacetime. We see a very tiny piece of the spectrum of the Electomagnetic Field, and still in only a few limited dimensions.

Other creatures, having to deal with threats from additional dimensions to survive, may have had to evolve to perceive and understand them. And once you see the "bigger picture," then all of your motivations and actions would probably be not only different, but essentially incomprehensible to little animals like us.

How could we understand or deal with aliens who naturally move "sideways" through space or time, or instantaneously cross a million light years of what we perceive as "distance," or who only exist in our perception of reality in a very tangiential way? They pass through, then vanish, and we're left wondering what the heck happened, when for them it's as simple and clear as going to the refrigerator for milk.

Little animals who try so hard with all of our little squishy brains to figure it all out and have so far only figured out maybe a few fractions of a percent of what's really going on.

P.S. - Look at the Periodic Table of Elements, for instance. What are all those gaps and holes in it? What are we missing? We can't even figure out what the universe is made of, what all the pieces are, much less how they work together.

[edit on 4-8-2006 by Enkidu]

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Here's a thought....

Our reality is defined only by what we can sense with our five senses.
Now, not all organisms have all five. So, their reality is different than what we know.
Suppose there are far more than five?
We could be blind to what is out there or right here.

However, the aliens we mostly talk about here are the ones people have SEEN, etc., so searching for invisible ones isn't really necessary, but it's an interesting point of speculation......

new topics

top topics

join