It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why arn't Arabic/Muslims in internment camps?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
I believe this bill to be bs But hey we need to fill those camps up somehow.... Right???

Well, it also says an "early version," which means it'll probably through A LOT of rewording and all that. Aside from that, it also only applies to enemy combatants... So it would mean American citizens who are fighting for terrorist organizations. Basically, it doesn't apply to your average person.

Originally posted by newtron25
Today they have way more connections and influences in capitol hill, the tools of organizing a protest (i.e., the internet) are available to them, and in general they have grown into a feared organization by lawmakers - not to mention the general public.

Thanks for the elaboration... Couldn't help but notice what I bolded in your comments, though. I find it pretty funny that an organization created to help Americans should be feared by them.

Originally posted by steve99
No matter how many people were killed it would never be done. You wouldn't want to take away their civil rights.

It would never be done? I thought it had been established that it has already been done in America in the past?

Originally posted by ludaChris
In my opinion(but I'm sure most would agree) that hardly anyone would stand for it.

Well, what are the differences in today's society for that to happen? Obvioiusly no one really seemed to mind in the 1940s, so why now? What do you think the reaction would have been if Arabic/Muslim people had been put into camps almost immediately after the 9/11 attacks?

Originally posted by Luxifero
If what you suggest to do what happen as such then the freedoms and liberties your country stands for would be all but worthless hallmark to infringe some sort of moral superiority upon your people, nothing more.

There is no good reason to intern Muslims or Arabics and I don't see one single reson to.

Luxifero

Originally posted by newtron25

This thread is absolutely unreal. Why would anyone think it possible that two wrong actions would create justice?

Because some group of people were guilty of a heinous crime, therefore, we must associate everyone in that same group as having the ability and the determination to repeat the crime?

In the United States of America, regardless of what conspiracy theories may be floating around in anyone's head, hold's quite firm to the protection of its citizens (and of others held here in this country): innocent until proven guilty.

These constants, that many people have relied upon to maintain the fabric of society, have been challenged by our government in recent years. And that is a subject for another thread. But it is definitely related to the topic...

It's fairly obvious that both Luxifero and newtron25 didn't read the very first sentence of my thread. Here's my surprised face that someone would do that:

Yes, I quoted those posts for posterity, and to make sure they didn't disappear.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
And were the german put in internment camps? No. Because the americans were racists. And they are still for a vast majority, thanks to the anti-muslim propaganda. I still think that if USA would have had the choice to nuke Berlin instead of Nagasaki and Hiroshima they wouldn't have do it, because germans were white, not yellow.

If they really put muslims in internment camps, SHAME ON THEM.

Thats crap...do you know how hard it is too tell a german whose parents immigrated apart from any other american? pretty damn hard. Im sure the ones where it was obvious they were German probably were interned. Whereas with asians they could of been here 5 generations and still be interned because of the way they look.

not a just policy I know but the fact is that it was much easier to round up asians than other caucasians.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I think he/she was banking on their own racist/Americans are evil agenda that all Germans really have just "blonde hair and blue eyes."

EDIT TO ADD: This thread should probably get moved to PTS...

[edit on 8/3/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 01:52 AM
link   
In addition to germans at least few hundred Finnish were interned, mainly sailors and businesmen visiting USA... And some Finns weren't allowed to leave after 1941 because they were believed to be going to join rest of Finns fighting USSR...

Back in '39 USA allowed and even supported Finnish immigrants leaving for Winter War... Talking about double standards...

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   

And were the german put in internment camps? No.

That is not true there were Germans and Italians interned during WWII in Montana for sure. I would assume there are other camps but a quick search turned up a figure of at least 300 perhaps 1,600 Italians and mentioned Germans and others with numbers of 10,900+ and that is just from one site.

Source

According to the latest research, dozens of Italians lost their fishing boats and hundreds more -- largely bakers, restaurant workers and garbage men -- had to give up jobs because of curfews. About 1,600 Italian citizens were interned, all of them here, and about 10,000 Italian-Americans were forced to move from their houses in California coastal communities to inland homes.

Same Source
About 110,000 Japanese immigrants and Japanese-Americans were interned in a network of camps, including Fort Missoula. In this sweep of people suspected of sympathy with enemies of the United States, 10,905 Germans and German-Americans as well as a few Bulgarians, Czechs, Hungarians and Romanians were interned.

Same Source Again
Of the roughly 2,000 Italians living in the United States who were detained for questioning after Pearl Harbor, only 300 were deemed to be sufficient security risks for confinement in Fort Missoula. About 1,300 sailors and other Italian visitors had been detained before Pearl Harbor.

Edit to add I had not read the whole thread at the time I posted this and I now see that others have pointed out the very same as I did. Further more it should be noted that the Alien Enemy Act of 1798 which is still in effect to this day allows the detention of foreign nationals during time of war.

[edit on 8/4/2006 by shots]

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
wouln't that be TOO obvious?

also, the country that the USA is enthralled to (saudi arabia) would cut off our oil supply.
almost all the 9/11 hijackers were saudis, so it would be the only logical group to inter, but we just can't do that

also, it's an outright bad idea

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   

And were the german put in internment camps? No. Because the americans were racists.

Ok grow up... Its easier to sepperate people of a different color, whereas to seperate the germans would take alot more resources and maybe just maybe they weren't worried about the german population as much because they had assimilated more...

Its not racism just simple logic. The US nuked japan because the japanese were fanatics and were not going to surrender, in fact more americans and japanese would have died in a conventional landing to take japan.

Just as we destroyed japanese cities we destroyed just about all of germany and her cities without second thought... Are you saying america is racist because it kills its enemies just not the same way...

Regardless of what I have said I know you'll still hate america for whatever flavor of the month excuse you can cling to...

[edit on 7-8-2006 by American Madman]

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   

And were the german put in internment camps? No. Because the americans were racists. And they are still for a vast majority, thanks to the anti-muslim propaganda. I still think that if USA would have had the choice to nuke Berlin instead of Nagasaki and Hiroshima they wouldn't have do it, because germans were white, not yellow.

If they really put muslims in internment camps, SHAME ON THEM.

Sorry to burst your "Americans are racists bubble, but many German immigrants were put into internment camps as well.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
to answer the original question, logically, i'd imagine muslims were not immidiatly interned because the US wasn't immidiatly at war with any nation in particular and since then hasn't been involved in a war where the ''loose lips sink ships'' attitude has been necicary(sp?).

during WW2 the axis powers were strong enough that any slight edge was worth large expenditure, knowledge was one slight edge, thus interning all potential spy's was a worthwhile exercise, but as spying as become more sophisticated, the reason for interning individuals on a large scale simply because of their ethnicity has decreased. if potential interment camps exhist in the US though someone obviously thinks there could be a potential need for them in the future.

its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it mentality.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Sorry to burst your "Americans are racists bubble, but many German immigrants were put into internment camps as well.

Ofcourse, The Germans didn't attack us on our own land.

And ofcourse, theres more Germans in america, with more power, then japanese americans.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by steve99
They would never do it no matter how many attacks there were on the continental US. It would be taking away their civil rights. No matter how many people were killed it would never be done. You wouldn't want to take away their civil rights.

I'm sure they thought the same thing in 1942 when they rounded up citizens and dual citizens of the the 3 main Axis countries. You are correct, you wouldn't want to take away their civil rights, but given the proper circumstances the majority of people will not object if it prevents more damage from happening in the future.

If there is another major terrorist attack and it can be tracked down, we might not see internment camps but we will probably see mass explusions of non U.S. citizens from countries that we deem, from the U.S.

There were mixed emotions on this in WWII but they were put aside till after the war. You can regret doing something and still do it at the same time.

[edit on 7-8-2006 by pavil]

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
And you know, whos to say we aren't seeing internment camps being used.

What about Gitmo and the 12 secret prisons in Europe? WHo are they really housing, and are we sure its not just terrorists, but perhaps innocent people?

After all, they dont go to court, theyre just sent there, the gestapol just takes them away

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Think backwards.

Instead of creating camps, turn the entire country into one, and then nobody will complain.

Google "Free speech ZONE".

We already live IN the camp, and the ones set up and barb wired are for the protesters that are regularly scooped up from the streets for not exercising their right for free speech in designated "free speech zones."

Have fun fellow inmates.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Here is the problem with internment. Not all arabs are moslem. Not all terrorists are Moslem. And only a small minority of Arabs are terrorists.
I personally know several Palestinian, Egyptian, and Lebanonese immigrants. THe vast majority of these immigrants came here to escape the violence, not to bring it with them. Out of a hundre, only one, a neighbor of mine, was ever associated with terrorism, and he was arrested last year, and quietly disappeared.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by niklaus
Here is the problem with internment. Not all arabs are moslem. Not all terrorists are Moslem. And only a small minority of Arabs are terrorists.

Were all Japanese/Germans/Italians spies? No, only a small minority were. So why was it different then?

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by niklaus
Out of a hundre, only one, a neighbor of mine, was ever associated with terrorism, and he was arrested last year, and quietly disappeared.

So 1% is an acceptable amount of terrorists from foreign countries in the U.S. to you? My number is considerably lower.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
After reading much on this issue has anyone thought of who is from the arab muslim countries and who they are.
Paul Anka ,Yasmine Bleeth,Jamie Farr, born Jameel Farah, is best known in his role as Corporal Maxwell Q,Sammy Haggar rock and roll superstar and former lead vocalist for Van Halen.,Casey Kasem is one of the most listened-to and well recognized DJ's in the world,Herbert Khaury is a Lebanese-American folk singer known to all of his fans as "Tiny Tim." Was famous for his hit song Tiptoe through the Tulips.
Shakira (see famous Lebanese-Spanish
Danny Thomas was an American comedian legend,Amy Yasbeck
Frank Zappa was a legend in the world of rock-I think any one putting frank zappa
in centers is just crazy. You see Americans come from many lands and help build this great country judging by what is said here only refutes the plea that wars bring
out the worst in humans. This is a small list
John Elway was the #1 overall pick in the famous football quarterback draft of 1983
Doug Flutie won the Heisman Trophy with Boston College football in1984
Bill George is a former Hall of Fame linebacker for the Chicago Bears football team.
Jeff George is a quarterback for the Washington Redskins football team

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   
At the moment there is no need to place people in camps. The small number of infiltrators are pale in comparison to people who are here for a better life. Plus modern survailence limits the need to round people up. They can track your calls your money hell just about anything they want. SO there is no need unless a group of people start acting out on a large scale.

Plus look at the outrage towards putting someone in jail who was caught on a battlefield in a distant land. Imagine if they started rounding up US citizens... Brown or not...

[edit on 11-8-2006 by American Madman]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
We are at war against terrorism (sigh), not against actual nations. WWII was a war of nations, not against terrorist groups. Even throwing the racist card in the issue, what, are you going to be racist against terrorists? cause I sure am. I hate terrorists with every fiber in my body, and if I had the opportunity to kill them all, I would, in a second, err rather, give them the slow, painful, terrible deaths they deserve, especially for taking 2 uncles, and my girlfriends father away from us. **** them.

Sorry for the rant, but, I can hate terrorists, but I refuse to hate afghanis, pakistanis, and iraqis, and people from iran (iranis?). more than 95% of them are not pledging hatred to America.

edited for grammar

[edit on 11/8/06 by Mouth]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mondegreen
After reading much on this issue has anyone thought of who is from the arab muslim countries and who they are.

So... Your reason that something like this didn't happen was because there are famous people who would have been locked up? Were there any famous Japanese, German, or Italian people who would have been locked up in the 40s? If so, were they?

Originally posted by American Madman
At the moment there is no need to place people in camps. The small number of infiltrators are pale in comparison to people who are here for a better life. Plus modern survailence limits the need to round people up. They can track your calls your money hell just about anything they want.

Ah, an excellent point! I hadn't even thought of the advancements in survailence. Though, the small number of spies or sabotuers in the 40s was very slim compared to the people who had come to America to make a better life as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join