It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wilderness Challenge

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
The sun has long ago set, but night has not yet entered fully into the forest for moonlight has taken up the challenge to brighten the fields and darken the shadows beneath the trees.

On a snow-capped mound, the rabbits playing tag pause to lift long silky ears towards the distant sound of wolves. A silent communication passes around the still circle and the rabbits again enter the enjoyment of coolness and exercise. Only one remains on alert, an old rabbit, scarred of ear and bleak of eye, sitting upright on his haunches, paws folded just so, nose twitching.

Not wolves, not cat, but something....he remains on alert, sinking slowly to all fours as the something becomes, across the meadow, a parade of creatures. Creatures which jump, hop, or skitter in and out from under the shadows of trees; he smells them as unknown, sees them as strange.

Impatiently, old rabbit rubs a front paw across his eyes. Looking again at the creatures he sees only vague shapes, odd angles, lumps and horns where there should be limbs or muzzles.

He cannot determine these creatures are predators, but dares not chance that they are. He signals retreat with a thump of a hind leg and the rabbits bolt for their holes.

A quiet breeze rustles through the woods, carrying the distant howl of wolves.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
A quiet breeze rustles through the woods, carrying the distant howl of wolves. The sun has long ago set. Nor would it rise again for many moons. This was the Dark Time. And the wolves? Ha! Stupid mutts, only good in a pack and even then still worthless. Howling at the dark like frightened cubs. Mmph!

*sniff?*

hmmm… could it be?

*sniff*

…crosswind, and up a bit…

*sniff*

mmmmmm… forest full of food, but THAT is what I need now.

Salt.

Pure, Clean, SALT.

[edit on 18-8-2006 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Alright, so here's the winenrs of this little challenge.

First place: EdenKaia

Second place: Keymaster

Third place: Loam

Thanks everyone for participating! Applauses for the winners, and soon...another contest.

DE

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Congrats to the winners!! Well-deserved!!

I didn't participate in this contest because, in all honestly, I kind of hit a blank with this contest!! I found this challenge to be extremely hard for some reason I cannot put my finger on....possibly the rule on no humans? Who knows?

I noticed I'm not the only one who sat this one out so maybe I'm not alone on my creative block!

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Thank you. It was a fun contest. Truly. Keep them coming.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Congratulations everyone!

That was fun...

I now have a trifecta!

What's next?

[edit on 23-8-2006 by loam]

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Well done everyone, hats off to the winners, all very good story's.

Lets bring on the next one before my brain explodes!! Damn these voices.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Well, that's over. Congratulations especially to loam for his/her "trifecta".

Personally, I thought mine were more compelling, better phrased, more perfectly worded and to the point then any of the winners, but then we are expected to congratulate those who are winners....oh, my, did I say that out loud?????

Just half-kidding people!

Looking forward to the next contest!

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Congrats to the winners. It was like we were all hiding behind our own little tree,
seeing and feeling things differently.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join