It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria moving into position

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I would assume that the U.S. military has observers insidethe borders of Isreal. If nothing else, we should assume that there are military personnel at the U.S. embassy in Tel Aviv. I would not be surprised to learn that CIA personnel were as close to fighting as they can get.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I for one am worried.....SYria has been moving into position for some time now. Must mean they have a lot of stuff.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
From what litle I can tell so far, it looks like they are only preparing their martialling areas and lanes of advance. Nothing too serious. the Syrian army is already so close to the border that much of that stuff is for show, anyway.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Just seems that Syria has been moving "into position" for weeks now so i was wondering if they are having problems logistically, or do they just have so much stuff that it takes that long? The country isnt that big and the border with Israel that long so it makes one wonder what all this positioning is. Seems like they've had ample time really.

[edit on 10-8-2006 by princeofpeace]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I have been told tha the removal of land mines is a slow and dedicated processs. If they are involved in the opening of lanes through their border defense, I can see how that might take a few weeks.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Syria won't get involved. They know that if they do, the USA will get involved and they don't want that. Israel won't try to move into Syria either, though I'm sure they won't mind if Syria tries to get involved. The USA is looking for any excuse at this moment to take out the leadership in Syria and Iran. It is all political posturing at the moment.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Actually, how would the USA LEGALLY enter the war? They tried to enter the war in 1967 by making Israëli attacking a US warship and it failed... They didn't entered the war. So they need to stage an attack against them to enter the war no?

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The US wont get involved because its not needed. Israel can handle itself.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Isreal appears to be waffling at the moment, Probably tryint to appeae the U.N. As a practical matter, the Isrealis will not benefit all that much from a 20 mile buffer zone staffed by blue helmets. Hezbollah will be able to sit in northern Lebanon, and fire SCUD variants deep in to Israel. The IDF will be trapped on it's side of the DMZ, and the international community will be mad at the Lebanese. This scenario would also be a win for Syria, too.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   
True Justin, but if the attacks continue after the buffer is in place, Israel will no longer honor the agreement. They will do this to appease the international community temporarily so that they can get more support. If the missles continue, few countries will feel any remorse for the response. On the other hand it would not be a total loss for Hezbollah as they could set their rockets up once again aiming at Israel. If an attack occurs against Iran they would be ready to unleash a response under a cease fire. Israel will have their Arrow system ready for attacks, but there is no telling how effective that will be as a deterent.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   
If history is any indicator, we shouldn't expect too much from the U.N. blocking force. they might be willing to police the DMZ, but they won't have any taste for crossing the Litani to duke it out with the militias.

Like it or not, the only real long-term solution involves the total investment of Lebanon. If the U.N. force fails to police their assigned areas, we should expect to see Hezbollah infiltrators shooting and scooting with impunity. Anyone who can recall the events in Somalia knows that the blue helmets tend to worship the dirt when the bullets fly.

It's worth noting that the most recent U.N. resolution calls for the insertion of a buffering force...but...they have no authority to shoot. they can defend themselves, but they don't have [chapter 7] authority to search and destroy. The whole thing smacks of the (1938) Munich conference all over again.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join