It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Girl, 6, dies at fire eating show

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 04:16 AM
link   

A six-year-old girl from east London died after suffering severe burns during a fire-eating display at a Turkish hotel.
Eden Galvani, believed to be from Ilford, was hurt while watching the show at the Gemini Resort in Didim.

It is thought a bottle of flammable liquid ignited in a fire-eater's hands, shooting flames into the audience.

news.bbc.co.uk...

This is awful. Just show how dangerous these shows are. I wonder what kind of safety conditions need to be in place if any.





posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yossarian
This is awful. Just show how dangerous these shows are. I wonder what kind of safety conditions need to be in place if any.

What a horrible thing to happen! These fire-eaters have no certification or safety standards that I know of.

Here is a tale that didn't end tragically:
I have a friend who owns a cafe and one day a 'performer' was to come in and to the usual carnival style show. After contorting himself into a small box, using a whip to break flowers held by children, and breaking cinderblocks on his chest the performer prepared for his finale.

Each subsequent performance made my friend ever more concerned; first because the performer probably had no insurance in the event that he hurt a child and second because he was making a mess all over the stage with the cinderblocks.

It doesn't take long at all for a performer to pull out a bottle of flammable liquid, take a swig, and strike a lighter so the first fire-ball could not be helped. To get the image right picture a 3-foot long fireball inside a building with sprinklers 10 feet above the performers head. My friend literally ran across his cafe to the stage and grabbed the bottle from the performer's hand while yelling, "Get the f**k out!"

I don't think I have ever seen him so angry but we learned a valuable lesson that day. Carnival show performers are out to make money even if they must screw everyone else in the process. They have no certification, insurance, or responsibility.

Jon

[edit on 8.3.2006 by Voxel]



posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 05:04 AM
link   
The thing is i was in Altinkum when this child was, the Gemini Hotel was about 5 minutes from where we where staying.

Nearly every restaurant and hotel do the fire shows. All they have is a bottle of Oil that is for the table lamps and they have it in a squirty water bottle with huge sticks of fire and they blow onto the fire when the oil is in their mouth.

It is great entertainment but from what i know there is no safety regulations as nearly every waiter could do it and staff from the hotel.

I feel for the child and her family, yet i also feel sorry for the man that did the fire show because i can bet 100% he was a waiter doing his job and now he has the death of a child on his mind forever. Poor sod.


Oni x x



posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
This is sad but when you fire shoots out of a fire eaters hands and your in the way youre gonna get burned.



new topics

top topics
 
0

log in

join