It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Libertine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Has anyone else here seen this movie?

Now, I love Johnny Depp. He is a great actor and I love that he likes to take the odd roles, but I just don't think I could sit through this movie again. Johnny does great, I love his character. On the other hand, there is nothing really exciting about the movie and it really leaves much to be desired IMO.

The crowd I watched it with seemed to get lost in all the dialogue at points. When I first picked up the movie and read the description on the back, I thought that it might be good. It seemed as though there would be a huge stink about a play he wrote and there would be something happening that would cause some sort of revolt or rebellion. Heck, just something. But when you think it is going to get good, it just goes downhill.

The best part may be when the play is released and the crazy things that are happening on stage, but that is short lived.

Did I miss something? Did something happen in this movie to keep attention?

If it had not been for Johnny Depp, I would have stopped the movie not even half way through.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I watched the movie myself for the first time a few nights ago, I enjoyed it. But then again, i'm a bit of a romantic at heart...not that there was too much romance to be found in the film. Lots of other things, but not romance. I think it would help if you realized that the film is based around actual figures in history, soo if you do a bit of reading about the character Depp played, it would help to fill in the gaps. Otherwise, the film would have taken forever, and it lasted a fair enough amount of time as it was. Most of the things you were waiting for were implied, but not spoken of. But like you, i left with a bittersweet taste after watching, not something i'd watch on my own, but if i had a date over...i'm sure it would be more enjoyable.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I found it somewhat amusing as well. I didn't realize until after I watched the movie what it was based on. It was certainly- interesting- at points, but it left me wanting more. At least Depp did a wonderful job in his role. I love it when he plays characters like that.

join