It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Knapp: Glen Campbell and the Desert Rats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Another couple of questions I had, regarding the infamous Campbell and his Desert Rats. Ive noticed they have all gone their seperate ways, although Campbell and Mahood run their own websites now.

1. How well did you know them?
2. Does the animosity still exist between Campbell and the folks at the Lil Ale Inn?

Thanks!

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I got to know Glenn Campbell fairly well, although we weren't pals who hung out together. He did some great work out there, and the Desert Rat was always a fun read. Obviously, the two of us don't see eye to eye on a lot of things related to 51. I know who Tom Mahood is but don't believe that I ever met him face to face. If so, I don't remember it.

The animosity between Campbell and the people at the A'Le'Inn was very real. They have their version of the events that led up to the split, and he has his. Since Joe Travis died, I'd guess that a lot of the ill will has dissipated, although I doubt that Campbell would be a welcome guest even today.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Are we talking about the Glen Campbell?! The world famous "I was standin' on a corner in Winslow Arizona" musician?!

As a totaly useless aside, I passed through Winslow (several times), on my way to Flagstaff, and I stopped and stood on a corner...

Honest to Goodness.

I had Glen Campbell blasting from my red Corvette ZR-1 stereo while I was standing there and my brother (R.I.P.) was laughing his arse off in the other car at my foolishness... Ahhh memories...

I just HAD TO DO IT...

Springer...

[edit on 8-3-2006 by Springer]

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 03:44 AM
link   
No, the guy who was standing on the corner in Winslow was Glenn Frye of the Eagles. Glen Campbell, the singer, is the Rhinestone Cowboy, aka the Wichita Lineman. Glenn Campbell, spelled with two "n's", moved to Rachel Nevada in the early 90's and became an onsite authority about Area 51. He wrote the Area 5i Viewers Guide and edited a newsletter called The Desert Rat.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
Are we talking about the Glen Campbell?! The world famous "I was standin' on a corner in Winslow Arizona" musician?!

As a totaly useless aside, I passed through Winslow (several times), on my way to Flagstaff, and I stopped and stood on a corner...

Honest to Goodness.

I had Glen Campbell blasting from my red Corvette ZR-1 stereo while I was standing there and my brother (R.I.P.) was laughing his arse off in the other car at my foolishness... Ahhh memories...

I just HAD TO DO IT...

Springer...

[edit on 8-3-2006 by Springer]

LOL, no, you arent the first to make that mistake!

Glenn Campbell, as George stated, was a guy who set up the unoffical "Area 51 Research Center" back in the beginning of the 90's. Here is his current website.

www.ufomind.com...

He used to publish a news letter called "Desert Rat" and held small viewing trips at Area 51 "Freedom Ridge", a hill that gave a good view of the base. This was before the Air Force played pirate and pulled a bunch of public land to further buffer the base.

For a good read and indepth story about Campbell and his buddies, read David Darlington's book "Area 51: The Dreamland Chronicles".

For George: I wasn't aware Joe Travis Died! Thanks for the info!

top topics

join