It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tarvacin?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 02:39 AM
link   
hey, just read in another thread about tarvacin, and did a little of my own research, but i've got a question...

are they currently testing tarvacin AV for anything aside from HCV? i was unable to locate anything through google.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Unfortunately, it seems for the time being, Tarvacin is only being tested with HCV. It seems, however, that this may only be a first step, as the drug is an anti-phospholipid therapy candidate, allowing it to possibly be effective against a wide variety of pathogens.

Hopefully we will see more trials starting up after this one, no?

Mariella

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   
i'm totally excited about this thing. i know several people who are at risk for herpes, and recently had a hep b scare myself. this drug can go a long way towards making us all a lot healthier in general. disease will be a thing of the past in the near future (20-30 years).

on a humoros (sp?) note, when i announced this on another forum as a wonder drug, the first question was "ok, sure, but what baout recreational uses?"

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Yes, I think this drug most definitely has a bright future. That is, of course, contingent on the outcome of the currently ongoing trials.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   
well, from everything i've read, they're going well, yes? no adverse effects on humans?

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
From what I've heard, no, no adverse effects. Of course, this is still fairly early on. We still have no studies regarding long term physiological response to Tarvacin. One good point they HAVE noticed, however, is that the drug does not affect platelet activity in tumorous blood vessels, as was feared it might.

Mariella

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   
i can't wait to hear the news that this stuff also helps regrow cartilege and repairs nerve damage.

in reality, though...once these tests are passed, if the current trends continue, will this be available over the counter?

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by 25cents
i can't wait to hear the news that this stuff also helps regrow cartilege and repairs nerve damage.

in reality, though...once these tests are passed, if the current trends continue, will this be available over the counter?

No, I would say with almost 100% certainty that this would not be an over the counter drug. It's a new class of pharmaceuticals, and it's very very powerful. Plus, it's not exactly a general purpose medication, such as tylenol or aspirin.

Mariella

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
well, if it's non-addicting and has no negative side effects, what would be the harm in allowing it to become an over the counter medication within 5 years?

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   

well, if it's non-addicting and has no negative side effects, what would be the harm in allowing it to become an over the counter medication within 5 years?

The same reason medications liek Zyvox and Penicillin aren't over the counter medications. While they don't have any common side effects and aren't habit forming, unregulated doses of the medication can and do cause serious harm. If, instead, you give people a controllled amount and only a certain readily available supply, it is much less likelt that they will abuse it, as opposed to someone being able to go buy 100 bottle of Tylenol.

A doctor I interned under in my last rotation at the ER had a funny saying about drug overdoses: "It's much more likely that someone will overdose on a prescription drug rather than a non-prescription. That's simply because if someone takes enough Tylenol to overdose, they would have choked to death anyways."

I'm not sure if that translation makes since, as it's coming from Italian...but you get it, right? heh

Mariella

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
no, i understand that. however, it appears that they're only administering it in shot form anyway, so....i don't know why i even asked about it being over the counter.

i gotta get me some health insurance.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   

no, i understand that. however, it appears that they're only administering it in shot form anyway, so....i don't know why i even asked about it being over the counter.

i gotta get me some health insurance.

Yeah, I actually overlooked that detail, as well, hehe. Good catch.

new topics

top topics

join