Is he actually referring to American slaves?!?

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 05:53 AM
link   
This is part of a statement to the American Embassy in Senegal on his trip to Africa. Did I misunderstand something or is he really saying that the slaves CHOSE to come to America for freedom?

Remarks by the President to Embassy Personnel
Leopold Sedar Senghor International Airport
Dakar, Senegal

"This is an historic trip -- oh, there's the Ambassador. (Applause.) But we are so honored to start our trip to this continent here in Senegal. I had the opportunity to go out to Goree Island and talk about what slavery meant to America. It's very interesting when you think about it, the slaves who left here to go to America, because of their steadfast and their religion and their belief in freedom, helped change America. America is what it is today because of what went on in the past. Yet when I looked out over the sea, it reminded me that we've always got to keep history in mind. And one of the things that we've always got to know about America is that we love freedom, that we love people to be free, that freedom is God's gift to each and every individual. That's what we believe in our country." www.whitehouse.gov...

If this says what I think it says, this man has no business running a hot dog stand, let alone a country!!
I'm having a difficult time grasping the unbelievable idiocy of this statement. Especially, when he said it to the African citizens!

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I dont think most slaves had the choise to go or not to go to America (and many other countrys). They simply got forced to do it. But thats just what i think...mayby i was told wrong ;-)

Really stupid statment to do...

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by scubaman
I dont think most slaves had the choise to go or not to go to America (and many other countrys). They simply got forced to do it. But thats just what i think...mayby i was told wrong ;-)

Really stupid statment to do...

Don't worry, you're right. The President must have been drunk during that class.

We bought people and forced them to come here and do the work we didn't want to do, but I guess they had planned secretly to be slaves because of their love of freedom.

Oh yeah, what is a steadfast? I've heard of someone or something BEING steadfast, but not having steadfast.

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 08:24 AM
link   
OMFG!!! This is going to bite him in the ass...

I suppose they shackled themselves into overloaded boats, then agreed to be property to be bought and sold, and whipped, hunted down with dogs, etc. all for freedom and their religion??? No, I don't think so....

Colonel will have a field day with this one!

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 08:33 AM
link   
No that's not what he is saying.

He is saying that the Slaves bought with them a strong desire for Freedom and that desire for freedom and equality has infused itself into American Society.

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 08:34 AM
link   

America is what it is today because of what went on in the past.

400 years of slavery, 400 years of free labor, and 400 years of inhuman atrocities.

Mr. Bush is a clown.

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 08:42 AM
link   

He is saying that the Slaves bought with them a strong desire for Freedom and that desire for freedom and equality has infused itself into American Society.

Yes, we know that's what he meant to say...but it didn't come out that way, primarily because he said they LEFT FOR AMERICA (this implies that they did so of their own accord...which of course, they did not, so it then sets the tone for the sentence...)

Jezebel, you are correct, he should have said "steadfastness"...but as you know, he is a grad of an Ivy League college and all, so we can't expect too much...

[Edited on 30-10-2003 by Gazrok]

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 08:56 AM
link   
what he said was incredibly ignorant. not just dumb but ignorant as well.

talk about having a brain fart!

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Gut-check... someone else writes these speeches for him. I'm sure li'l Bush has some say, but he just reads what's put in front of him.

That being said, some moron posing as a writer was attempting to say what JB1 pointed out. And I'm sure with Bush reading, it sounded something like:

th' slaavs left here... (pause) ... to go to 'merica ... (pause, smile) ... because of their stead fast ... (pause, look to left) ... and their r'ligion ...(pause, look to right, smile) ... and their b'lief in freedom, helped change 'merica ... (pause, hands on pulpit, er, lecturn).

But it's harder to get the proper Bush-inflection into the transcripts.

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Good point William...then the fault lies in GW for not rehearsing, or for not being able to read....

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I agree with JB1 here,

it is clear what he means to me when I read it.

America and the colonies have many stories of people fleeing poverty and various types of slavery and oppression (convicts to Australia for example).

These were the people that built the countries to what they are today.

They are quite unlike the immigrants that have landed here in recent decades.

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Good point William...then the fault lies in GW for not rehearsing, or for not being able to read....

or his inability to fire the speech writer(s) who are making him look stupid and ignorant.

he's the president, he barely knows what his speech is going to say specifically until her gets it and thats usually winds up being right before he gives the speech.

i dont think the guy is dumb, not in so much as he thinks the slaves came here on their own but because he should have simply stopped and said to someone close to him "This is BS and i cant finish it, fire the guy who wrote it" and simply ad libbed it from there.

i "get" what he was trying to say but looking at the stark words it certainly does make him look stupid as most dont realize that he doesnt write this stuff, a staffer does and i have to think like a sheeple in order to keep this in perspective.

then again its almost impossible for a politician to say anything directly and not have it held against him at a later date so they have to word things in such a way that they are semi ambiguous and can have a different meaning/tone to them and this is the case and it certainly does look like one of the dumbest things a president has ever said but i also remember stupid things said by clinton, reagan, carter, nixon, gore, quail, etc. and people accused them of being stupid at the time they made their stupid sounding speeches.

then again what do they expect? they're probably too cheap to hire a real speech writer and probably have FREE interns do it for them. thats how rich people are sometimes, cheap and in this case TOO cheap.

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I'm beginnng to wonder if Bush didn't decide to write his own speeches. I mean, really, how the hell do you get to be a speech writer for the President, if you are incapable of writing intelligently? Shouldn't the President or his P.R. people be making sure that the people writing speeches are the best one's they can get? Besides, this isn't the first time he's said something this stupid. Usually, though it's not this insulting.

For instance, "And so, in my State of the — my State of the Union — or state — my speech to the nation, whatever you want to call it, speech to the nation — I asked Americans to give 4,000 years — 4,000 hours over the next — the rest of your life — of service to America." --Bush at Connecticut Fundraiser, April 9

"They underestimated America. They underestimated our resolve, our determination, our love for freedom. They misunderestimated the fact that we love a neighbor in need. They misunderestimated the compassion of our country. I think they
misunderestimated the will and determination of the commander in chief, too."" --Washington Post, 10/27/01

"After the [Ellis Island citizenship] ceremony, Bush led the group in the Pledge of Allegiance, mistakenly urging them to hold up their right hands rather than place them on their hearts, as is customary. 'Right hand up, please,' Bush said, prompting most of the group to follow suit, before catching his mistake. 'Actually right hand on your heart.'" --Reuters, 7/11/01

If you want to read more, go to bushwatch.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 04:49 PM
link   
No I think it is the work of backstabbers.

He used to have a speech writer by the name of Frum.

He is from Toronto and his mother was a well known journalist with the CBC.

Anyways he became famous for speech writing for a right-wing government that used to run Ontario, the Progressive Conservative party.

What I don't understand is that after that gig he ended up in the white house writing for Bush himself.

Problem is that he was ousted for some unspecified reasons (his family were known liberals eg. Democrats), and then wrote a rather controversial book about his time in the big house writing speaches and observing he goings-on.

The book was controversial and while not a left-wing attack it was at times not flattering of the Bush regime.

Sometimes I think he was an agent placed in there.

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
No I think it is the work of backstabbers.

He used to have a speech writer by the name of Frum.

He is from Toronto and his mother was a well known journalist with the CBC.

Anyways he became famous for speech writing for a right-wing government that used to run Ontario, the Progressive Conservative party.

What I don't understand is that after that gig he ended up in the white house writing for Bush himself.

Problem is that he was ousted for some unspecified reasons (his family were known liberals eg. Democrats), and then wrote a rather controversial book about his time in the big house writing speaches and observing he goings-on.

The book was controversial and while not a left-wing attack it was at times not flattering of the Bush regime.

Sometimes I think he was an agent placed in there.

Ok, for the sake of argument, say that's true. Someone is setting him up, and for some reason, nobody has noticed the improper english and pretend words he has been putting in the speeches. How, then, do you account for the fact that Bush didn't know that when you pledge allegiance to the flag, you put your hand over your heart, not raise it like you were testifying in court. I learned that in kindergarten!!

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Not only is it true look up the following author on Amazon, for I'm sure it is there:

David Frum.

Thanks, it ain't easy being right!

LOL, get it?

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 05:26 PM
link   
This one you can not be blamed on a speechwriter or anyone else for making shrub look stupid, he comes by that quite naturally, just by breathing (which I'm sure "they" need to remind him to do as well!! LOL
)!!

The dude is a mental midget, partly due to genetics, remember who is daddy is, and a mother that looks like George Washington doesn't help much either!!!

Throw in 20 years of alcohol and coc aine abuse and shrub is not much more than the facade we see in soundbites from the evening news.

I'm sure once TC & Bob88 here about this thread they'll find a way to blame shrubs assanign comments and overall stupidity on Bill Clinton specifically and the democrats in general.

Take Back America!!! Dean in 2004!!!!!!

[Edited on 31-10-2003 by USMC Harrier]

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Not only is it true look up the following author on Amazon, for I'm sure it is there:

David Frum.

Thanks, it ain't easy being right!

LOL, get it?

This still doesn't address my question about his not knowing that when you pledge alliegance to the flag your hand goes over your heart, not in the air. That cannot be blamed on anyone but him.

Neither can statements like, "Whatever it took to help Taiwan defend theirself." --Good Morning America, April 25, 2001

or this tribute to Texas schools:

Washington - It was Condoleezza Rice, national security advisor, who helped her boss out of the embarassing situation. During a conversation between the two presidents, George W. Bush, 55, (USA) and Fernando Henrique Cardoso, 71, (Brazil), Bush bewildered his colleague with the question "Do you have blacks, too?"

Rice, 47, noicing how astonished the Brazilian was, saved the day by telling Bush "Mr. President, Brazil probably has more blacks than the USA. Some say it's the Country with the most blacks outside Africa." Later, the Brazilian president Cardoso said: regarding Latin America, Bush was still in his "learning phase."

This was spoke in May 2002. David Frum leaved the Whitehouse staff in Feb 2002. So now who's the culprit behind the misunderrepresentation of our Brilliant leader?

By the way, I didn't write this. It was my speech maker-upper.

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

I'd hazard a guess that most slaves have a 'strong desire for freedom'...aside from those who pay to be chained and whipped at weekends in Soho basements.

If anything a direct result of slavery was bigotry and intolerance rather than a nationwide desire for freedom and equality. The need for equality was only realised when people started to see that slavery was a bad thing...so without slavery everyone would have been free and equal (within their own social strata) anyway!

I love your president. It's good to breathe a little humour into the stuffy old world of politics every now and then. He's such a tyke!

new topics

join