It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lebanon planning to sue Israel in Hague

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Source

Lebanese minister of justice states that Israel's attacks constitute war crimes, crimes against humanity, and wonders how pictures of Qana did not bring about ceasefire

Lebanon is planning to file a lawsuit against Israel in the International Criminal Court. Tuesday, Lebanese Minister of Justice Charles Rizk made a written petition to the Lebanese Prime Minister, Fouad Siniora, asking him to bring up the issue in the next meeting of the Lebanese cabinet, so that the prime minister will be able to collect witnesses in preparation before filing of the complaint.

"In preparation for the pursuit of the Israeli enemy in the relevant international courts, and in a bid to punish these crimes and to bring them to justice, the Lebanese government must prepare a comprehensive case that will include and detail all the attacks and crimes committed.

I find it quite disheartning that both sides seem more interested in suing each over monitary loses rather than finding common ground to help formulate a cease fire.
Here is the link for Israel's potential lawsuit against Lebanon.

[edit on 8/1/2006 by pstiffy]

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   
the lawsuits are simply measures to protect themselves against the other suits and probably an attempt to force Lebanon to side with Israel in disarming Hezbollah or, in the case of Lebanon's suit against Israel, force a ceasfire.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Why shouldn't they? Israel went after Iran because a Palestinian terrorist used Iranian weapons to hurt Israeli citizens, and The USA who was holding Iranian property auctioned it off and is using the proceeds to pay repartions to them with the assets they were holding.

I think they are entitled to reparations. Just as Israel was. I also think the people responsible should pay for their crimes finally.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I find it quite disheartning that both sides seem more interested in suing each over monitary loses rather than finding common ground to help formulate a cease fire.
Here is the link for Israel's potential lawsuit against Lebanon.

If Israel was at war with Lebanon, I might agree, but they aren't, Israel is fighting Hisbollah, not Lebanon and Lebanon is completely not fighting Israel, I don't even think a single shot has been fired by Lebanees Military in Israels direction, the Israeli just so happen to be killing loads of Lebanees civilians while they are officialy after Hisbollah, so yes, Lebanon as a country does have a case.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix

If Israel was at war with Lebanon, I might agree, but they aren't, Israel is fighting Hisbollah, not Lebanon and Lebanon is completely not fighting Israel, I don't even think a single shot has been fired by Lebanees Military in Israels direction, the Israeli just so happen to be killing loads of Lebanees civilians while they are officialy after Hisbollah, so yes, Lebanon as a country does have a case.

Yes I know that the Lebanese goverment is not directly involved, and is basically caught in the middle, but as of right now, the fighting is still on going and the death toll is still rising. What I was trying to imply is that they should wait until there is a cease fire until they start worrying about filing law suits against one another, and to work now in trying to prevent as little law of civilian life as possible

It may also be for the reason Crakeur suggested, that they launched it to try and force a cease-fire, but I do not see how this would help.

[edit on 8/1/2006 by pstiffy]

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Granted, this is nothing really more than testing the waters on international opinion by any action being brought by Lebanon….I would imagine one affirmative defense could also include a suit by Israel against the UN for complicity and force administrators for dereliction….in other words it would/will open a can of worms dumped by both sides to be played-out for the press.

mg

new topics

top topics

join