It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli jailed for refusing to fight in Lebanon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 07:21 AM
link   
i wonder how this soldier will be viewed by his fellow israeli's in israel.

www.guardian.co.uk...

he says it is to do with his morals(shock, someone actually has some morals left in this world).

interesting, whats your views

[edit on 1-8-2006 by andy1033]

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Quite a few have signed on with "Courage To Refuse" in the past. I consider them to be brave. I am sure many of their fellow countrymen consider them traitors or cowards. Some may do it for their religious beliefs.

Pie

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   
This is how Israel treats its REAL HERO'S ?
. Give Ehud Olmert a M16 and send him along the border to emilate hezzbola militants.

This guy is up there with Vanunu IMHO

[edit on 1-8-2006 by helium3]

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
This objector is a ray of hope and has the heart of a lion. I like that and I'm sure the sleep he gets is easy of mind - if they allow prisoners to sleep at all where he is being interned. A prisoner of conscience and "war" - I admire this fellow in the same league as Nelson Mandela. I hope he and his family don't suffer persecution but in light of recent events - I don't think so. They're in for a world of unjust hurt if not tortures that words can not adequately express.

Victor K.
Qana v1.0, Qana v2.0... What's next?
Never forget.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
wow, let's get everyone who doesn't agree with us, and put them in prison

why hasn't anyone ever thought of this one before?

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
...why would you join the military and then decide you are to moral then your comrades to actually go out and fight? Sounds more like someone got a little scared and decided to run from it and claim his morals are the reason. BS. It is the law, you sign for active duty you cannot decide later on you don't want to fight. You know the old punishment for deserting your nation was the death penalty...........

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Rockpuck, isnt national service in Israel compulsory?

There is defending your country and there is slaughtering and punishing innocent civilians. Im sure this man knows the difference and would willing to defend his country if it was actually in any danger.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
...why would you join the military and then decide you are to moral then your comrades to actually go out and fight? Sounds more like someone got a little scared and decided to run from it and claim his morals are the reason. BS. It is the law, you sign for active duty you cannot decide later on you don't want to fight. You know the old punishment for deserting your nation was the death penalty...........

remember most of the fighters in israel's army are national service that is mandatory, no way out.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Originally posted by Rockpuck

remember most of the fighters in israel's army are national service that is mandatory, no way out.

That is true, but like in America there are many positions in the Israeli army that you do not kill people, such as medic, computers, or simply being a conscience objector.. which he was not.. I mean, if he wasn't the fight'n type he should of said so, become a mechanic what ever.. some people just don't think it through.. in Israel you honestly should expect at some point youll go to war, hell it is the ME. It is the law, he broke it, it's sad sure what ever he still broke the law, should have though ahead thats all.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I agree, there are probably many many peopleo n the front lines whom dont want to fight for various reasons.
But they accept they arent in control of there decisions at the moment.

they have signed on for a job, there fore they must do the job.

simply saying you dont agree with the casues behind it as morally correct as it may be, it is regardless.

Im sure some of the politicans Dont want to be sending u there either,
but its all a chain of command.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Of course he is a conscientious objector, what else could you call what he has done? He has objected based on his conscience.

There are many Israelis who are serving in the IDF who refuse to serve in the occupied territories. It just so happend that after reading this thread I read in the book I am currently reading called "My Israel Question" by a Jewish Australian journalist, that there is a growing refusenik movement in the IDF. I was not aware of the size of it and I must say I am very glad that these Israelis are now standing up for what they believe is right.

Those who refuse to deploy in the occupied territories can expect a 2 year jail term. Let's put that into perspective, they are not refusing to join the Defence Force they are refusing to occupy land which is not Israeli. Seems reasonable to me, yet they are jailed for 2 years for not helping to illegally occupy Palestine.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Of course he is a conscientious objector, what else could you call what he has done? He has objected based on his conscience.

There are many Israelis who are serving in the IDF who refuse to serve in the occupied territories. It just so happend that after reading this thread I read in the book I am currently reading called "My Israel Question" by a Jewish Australian journalist, that there is a growing refusenik movement in the IDF. I was not aware of the size of it and I must say I am very glad that these Israelis are now standing up for what they believe is right.

Those who refuse to deploy in the occupied territories can expect a 2 year jail term. Let's put that into perspective, they are not refusing to join the Defence Force they are refusing to occupy land which is not Israeli. Seems reasonable to me, yet they are jailed for 2 years for not helping to illegally occupy Palestine.

It is good that a new generation of Israelis want peace, but regardless of how they feel it is the law. Can't be much more simpler then that can it? Nation calls you up you go and do their bidding. They probably understand it only continues the cycle of violence but all civilians are required to do it.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
If Israeli law is anything like British or American law they would not be required to carry out any order that is illegal. The occupation of Palestine is not legal, never has been, never will be. There is no legal basis to try these soldiers on as far as insubordination is concerned. It's also not as if they are draft dodgers either, they are willing to carry out their duties so long as it doesnt involved deployment in the illegally Occupied Territories.

new topics

top topics

join