It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese county culls 50,000 dogs

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
[
Yo, hmm, 3 cases of rabies out of a country with one billion+ people is not that bad....yeah it sucks, but does it really call for a mass beating of domesticated pets?

[edit on 13/8/2006 by SportyMB]

That happened in a remote county(not country)!
and the emergency measures was only taken in that county not the
whole country.
In Beijing in 2006, up to now 15,000 people were bitten by dogs.
but almost all of them injected vaccine thanks for good medical
condition there, but in a remote county things will be quite
different....
so the most effective measure to stop the spread of rabies there
is killing
BTW, I strongly support a more severe restriction implemented
in Beijing to stop the rise of the amount of pet.
there are already 1 million dogs in Beijing.
that is terrible!

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by gs001
That happened in a remote county(not country)!
and the emergency measures was only taken in that county not the
whole country.

Does it matter? The dogs are still people's property.

so the most effective measure to stop the spread of rabies there
is killing

How about due process, oh nevermind we're talking about China

I could (sort of) understand the government giving people notice hey cut back the dog population..something like that. But walking up to people and whackin' their dogs is crazy and truly reflects the Chinese government and how they feel about their own people. I'm not just basing that assumption off of this one dog incident either......

BTW, I strongly support a more severe restriction implemented
in Beijing to stop the rise of the amount of pet.

I agree, but there are better ways of doing that without killing pets at random. I'm sure members of the communist party and their pets were left alone.

there are already 1 million dogs in Beijing.
that is terrible!

Yup....but does that still give the government a license to kill pets in the way they did?

I think your'e missing the point of this thread. It's not a rabies problem in China, it's not about people being bit and it ain't about a million dogs in Beijing...it's about the manner and means that the Chinese Government decided to handle the situation.

Sporty

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
No, it's not.

i didn't think it was...

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   

I can't find any difference between killing dog this time and killing
poultry while bird flu occur and killing cattle while mad-cow occur.
Do you believe dog has any superiority over cattle and poultry?

You can't vaccinate for bird flu or mad cow disease yet. The rabies vaccine is easy to get and inexpensive, besides bashing a dog over the head to kill it helps to spread rabies. Aside from being cruel, it is ineffective in controling the disease.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 07:25 AM
link   

guy, have you read the initial link of this thread?

1. I'm not a guy
2. I indeed did read the link thank you. Rabies and other transmittable diseases are in other countries namely the US and we have more humane ways of dealing with the problem. I only reference culling chickens as being different because you brought it up.

Every thing communist does will be treated as evil behavior in your eyes.

Interesting because until you brought this up, Communism didn't even enter my mind. Upon reading this article in the beginning never did I say mmm...damn communists. No my thought was the outrage of this having even been done and then my heart broke over that agony these poor creatures had to endure.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Can someone give a perfect solution to Chinese/China goverment of how to eliminate the spread of rabies without killing dogs in a poor countryside region?

It is funny that some west people try to blame China gov but they can't offer any useful suggestion.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanstheman

You can't vaccinate for bird flu or mad cow disease yet. The rabies vaccine is easy to get and inexpensive, besides bashing a dog over the head to kill it helps to spread rabies. Aside from being cruel, it is ineffective in controling the disease.

The rabies vaccine is easy to get and inexpensive?

Obviously you know nothing about rabies.
There is no rabies vaccine.

Once you are bitten by dogs, you have to be injected with some medicine once per week and this kind of treatment will last for few months

If rabies outbreaks, the possibility of death is 100%

Actually, most Chinese people don't have a special feeling about cats and dogs.
They are just like pigs, cow in our eyes.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Not a very good comparision. We don't beat our cows/pigs to death either. However, just to be fair the alternative to how we slaughter them IMO isn't much better.

SOLUTION you ask? Ok the Chinese have been beefing up their military for a while now so why not designate some of those military on a dog killing mission to be rid of those pesky dogs and hence get rid of the rabies. Shoot them instead of beating them to death. Imagine the human energy saved!

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   

It is funny that some west people try to blame China gov but they can't offer any useful suggestion

Ok this is making me really pissy now! I don't care if it's China, Timbuktu or the United States of America. I personally could care less the country or "county" this happened in. Let's not lose sight of the issue which is brutally beating an animal. Don't care which animal it was inhumane.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by google_abcd

Originally posted by stanstheman

The rabies vaccine is easy to get and inexpensive?

Obviously you know nothing about rabies.
There is no rabies vaccine.

Once you are bitten by dogs, you have to be injected with some medicine once per week and this kind of treatment will last for few months

If rabies outbreaks, the possibility of death is 100%

Both my dogs have been vaccinated against rabies. A vaccine prevents disease, it doesn't cure disease. The shots you are talking about are given once a person is bitten or scratched by a suspected rabid animal, but before the symptoms of the disease are present. Once the symptoms of the disease are present, the treatment can still be given but the prospects of survival are slim. Next time you want to be a smarmy "know it all" I suggest you check your facts. There was no reason to be snotty.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   

It is funny that some west people try to blame China gov but they can't offer any useful suggestion.

Typical Chinese logic.....I guess it's not ok to criticize? First, google_abcd, the problem has to be identified..then a solution can be found

I know where your'e coming from google_abcd. The other day I went out to eat with a friend and sometimes I like see how people react when I bring up certain topics, and of course I usually act blind to the whole thing just to see what happens....anyways, here's how the conversation went.

Q - Jin, what's this about tiananmen square? I heard something about it on TV.
A - So how's your sushi?(as she looks over both shoulders)

Huh, maybe you feel that way, but you don't speak for all of China. Almost everyone I know in China feels for domesticated animals, they have dogs and cats and treat them no different than people do in the states.

Yeah, If you go to the dog market you might be a little sickened by the small cages and conditions.....but that's still not grounds to say that Chinese people think of pets like they do pigs. If that's the case then why bother having pets, like many Chinese do? What's the point.....to have a lifeless animal that you never show any emotion towards?

Sporty

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I think you should forgive the rude measure taken by the
poor remote county government. I believe they just don't have
the ability to vaccinate all dogs there.
Don't you know the disparity between rich area and poor
area is so large in China?
rich area

poor area

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I think you should forgive the rude measure taken by the
poor remote county government. I believe they just don't have
the ability to vaccinate all dogs there.
Don't you know the disparity between rich area and poor
area is so large in China?

Aside from being "rude" it is ineffective, since bashing a dog death only sends the rabies airborne and could infect the killer. Forget about all the rabies virus left in the aftermath of the killing.

I think most of the people on this thread understand the cultural and economic differences between China and the US, and even the cultural and economic differences within China, that however doesn't take away the inhumanity and lack of compassion involved in treating another living creature in such a brutal way.

Futhermore, are you saying that poor people are incapable of treating an animal humanely?

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Mods,
Could you get rid of that giant JPEG file that makes it so hard to read this thread? I think we get the point, however dull.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join