It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese county culls 50,000 dogs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I really wasn't pointing a finger at any one person and I hope no one thought I was, it’s just as Americans we have a very uniquely "American" way of looking at things, I have had the good fortune to have lived in many different countries and experience their cultures. We seem to forget that while we are one of the most powerful and prosperous countries in the world the sun does not rise and set on America. Using our values to judge the rest of the world is just wrong; sometimes you just have to let the neighbors raise their own kids. One country imposing their values on their neighbors is the very thing that leads to the kinds of problems you see in the world as a whole today. While we all have the right to an opinion they have a right to live the way they do. I dread the day we all wake up to a world that’s the same everyplace. Do bad things happen? Hell yes they do . Do I agree with all that happens in the world? Not at all. But we can only do what we can do, get an animal from the pound/humane society/local rescue shelter, get them fixed and love the hell out of them. You could always just refuse to buy things that come from China (that will show them) but does ANYONE really think that’s going to be done by anyone here? Is it even possible to NOT buy something that was made in China anymore?

Wow that get really preachy fast, I really didn't mean to get up on my soap box I'm just trying to say we need to fix us before we point a finger at them. That’s all.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Several points, to no one in particular:

1) No animal that is dead cares about how it got that way. I'm sure that from an animal's POV any kind of dead is a bad dead. As much as the vision of a man with a club may horrify you, I find something very sick about a veterinarian playing nice, petting a dog on the head, and then euthanizing it. There is something somewhat psychotic about playing the role of a caregiver while intending to kill.

2) Here is something a friend of mine who lived in Hong Kong for a while told me when I related this news item to him: "Well they always beat a dog to death, the meat is more tender that way - so they say." It then hit me that the government could have been letting the poor peasants keep the dead animals for food.

Jon

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Garaman Rex

Wow that get really preachy fast, I really didn't mean to get up on my soap box I'm just trying to say we need to fix us before we point a finger at them. That’s all.

I totally agree with you, you weren't preachy. More outrage has to have action as it outcome.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Voxel
Several points, to no one in particular:

1) As much as the vision of a man with a club may horrify you, I find something very sick about a veterinarian playing nice, petting a dog on the head, and then euthanizing it. There is something somewhat psychotic about playing the role of a caregiver while intending to kill.

[
Jon

My fifteen year old lab mix was playing with my other dog and he jumped on her and snapped her leg. I rushed her to the vet where she was given pain meds and xrays were taken. Basically her large bone in her front leg was broken in half. The vet couldn't promise me that plating it would be successful but assured me the recovery would be painful. I chose to put her down, and I held her as the vet injected her. In no way does that scenario equate with beating her to death with a club.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   

In no way does that scenario equate with beating her to death with a club.

Well it did have the same result, death, so there is some similarity. A pet can live a healthly and happy life with only three legs.

Jon

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
This is nothing compared to the brutality the Chinese treat dogs and cats when killing them for fur.

www.furkills.org...
www.voice4dogs.org...

It makes me sick. The Chinese have a different culture, true. So cats and dogs might not be as adored as they are in the west.

That does not excuse them from the cruel, sickening, inhumane way they treat these animals when taking their fur. An animal can be raised and killed humanely.

I myself oppose fur of any sort, though I think PETA people are nuts. I oppose taking the skin from an animal I'm not going to eat and wearing it for vanity.

This is my distinction between leather and fur. I eat cows and pigs, thus, I do not have a problem wearing their skins. I do not eat minks, rabbits, foxes, leopards, dogs, cats, seals, bears, ect.

I also am very picky about where I get my meat now. I do not believe cows and pigs should be raised in meat factories, but should be raised free range, eating grass or whatever and living their lives out as natural cows. Thus, I will only buy meat from suppliers I know get them from farmers who raise their cows and pigs humanely.

Happy cows taste better, after all.

The point of this rant is basically to voice my disgust with the often brutal treatment of alot of animals in China. Beating these dogs to death is another case of that.

It is often said sadists and serial killers and other violent people get their start by abusing animals. Now I understand China's dismal human rights record and why such abuse of living things is acceptable there. if they cant even treat the animals they use for food and fur decently, then how they hell would you expect them to treat human beings with decency?

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voxel

In no way does that scenario equate with beating her to death with a club.

Well it did have the same result, death, so there is some similarity. A pet can live a healthly and happy life with only three legs.

Jon

A young otherwise healthy dog can. My dog had bone loss (think osteoporsis) that led to her leg being too fragile to withstand the weight of my other dog. Her other three legs could not have supported her weight and kept her mobile. i didn't put her down to save myself an inconvience, or money. I explored all options and you're right she is dead now. Your compassion is overwhelming.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Hello Guys We are talking about the country that will abort and by lethal injection kill the the baby if it is not "authorized".
I am not good at adding links, but just tap in "china one child policy abortion", 3.350.000 results in 0.7 seconds.

These people don't care about lives any life it is all about gain. The individual Chinese person may disagree but the government has for centuries had an iron grip on its population.
OK no links, sorry.
WIS

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   

No animal that is dead cares about how it got that way

And you know this how Voxel? Did you ask? That my friend is a very ignorant remark.
Did you stop for one second to think that while these dogs were being beaten to death that for x amount of minutes they were in excruciating pain? With each hit they bled and bones were broken? The death was slow.
How could someone stand over an animal as it screams in pain and continue?

It doesn't matter the culture. We are all human and we are all supposed to be compassionate.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
For myself, having lived in Asia for a few years, I can tell you that the stray dog population is huge and a large problem in itself. Where we live there is probably a pack of 10 or more in front of our apartment. The dogs are hairless, have skin diseases, and can turn viscious (the pack mentality) and have been known to kill and injure many people. Whilst I don't agree with the chinese's tactics (especially if it's a dog with a owner) they do need to be culled and/or vaccinated to say the least. Even Australia cull their kangaroo population occassionally. As someone mentioned in a earlier posts, the clubbing is their only way that can afford to tackle the problem.

I reckon the 50,000 number is just the tip of the iceberg too.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Dog is a traditional food of koren
they eat thousands of dogs eveyday
why don't you blame to them?
[edit on 12-8-2006 by gs001]

[edit on 12-8-2006 by gs001]

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Yeah but we "Americans" (more than Americans read this really) are disgusted, outraged, and feel a good deal of hatred toward the Chinese for their amazingly caring and humane "emergency plan."

For the whole "we shouldn't force judgements on others!" thing. We shouldn't force anything on anyone, true, but screaming that because people feel a certain way makes no sense. Although acting on these feelings and ideas is none of our business, we can analyze what happened and conclude that it's disgusting or whatever for ourselves.

[edit on 12-8-2006 by Johnmike]

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I can't find any difference between killing dog this time and killing
poultry while bird flu occur and killing cattle while mad-cow occur.
Do you believe dog has any superiority over cattle and poultry?

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 01:07 AM
link   
different country, different world...

i wonder if this is normal for the people there???

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
i wonder if this is normal for the people there???

No, it's not. Some people are accustomed to eating dog, but not many, imo. This is more than just killing an animal...it's killing someone's pet and screwing with their personel property. Btw, I live in China.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   

This is more than just killing an animal...it's killing someone's pet and screwing with their personel property. Btw, I live in China.

Thank you Sporty and from the horse's mouth so to speak. Here we have someone living in a country that has done this atrocity.
I don't mean you did this Sporty but rather someone who seems to live by a standard a little higher so thank you for your imput.

Imagine for a moment someone yanking your pet out of your hands while walking them and clubbing them to death. I would be so traumatized I wouldn't know what to do.
While I do understand the population problem of the animals, I lived in Greece for a while and they have the same dog/cat population problem. I never saw the Greeks however beating the animals to death.

Most would die on thier own as they were all scuffed up and looking for food which many didn't get.

Oh for the person that compared culling chickens to killing dogs. It's not the same!
The chickens are culled because of the threat of the H5N1 spread which potentially can wipe out mankind if it mutates. So there is a "real" threat there.
Plus it's not like anyone is taking pleasure doing this because for many it's their way of living and making a living so nobody really wants to cull the poultry as it's also creating havoc on the industry.
"Beating" the dogs to death is just plain brutal!
IMO!

[edit on 13-8-2006 by DDay]

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
This is nothing compared to the brutality the Chinese treat dogs and cats when killing them for fur.

www.furkills.org...
www.voice4dogs.org...

It makes me sick. The Chinese have a different culture, true. So cats and dogs might not be as adored as they are in the west.

Good links, I didn't realise the extent of such inhumane practices. No matter what culture we are from, i'm sure we have a caring instinct in us. I know an animal dies to feed me- but I wouldn't eat the meat if I knew it had been killed inhumanely.

I feel extremely distgusted they can be as cruel as that.

As for the pet owners, well surely the dogs are no harm to anyone. They have an owner, probably not diseased/ a danger to anyone. My dog doesn't rampage with diseases or biting anyone- so why would Chinese dogs be so bad they needed to be clubbed to death?

[edit on 13-8-2006 by Knights]

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DDay

Oh for the person that compared culling chickens to killing dogs. It's not the same!
The chickens are culled because of the threat of the H5N1 spread which potentially can wipe out mankind if it mutates. So there is a "real" threat there.
Plus it's not like anyone is taking pleasure doing this because for many it's their way of living and making a living so nobody really wants to cull the poultry as it's also creating havoc on the industry.
"Beating" the dogs to death is just plain brutal!
IMO!

[edit on 13-8-2006 by DDay]

guy, have you read the initial link of this thread?
in that county, 3 people were killed of rabies and
500 people were bitten by dogs twice as many as last year.
and vaccine injection couldn't stop the spread of rabies
what should you do?
If this happened in a "democratic" country in stead of
a "Communist" country, I don't think there will be so
many people blame it so frantically.
Every thing communist does will be treated as evil behavior in your eyes.

[edit on 13-8-2006 by gs001]

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knights

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

www.furkills.org...
www.voice4dogs.org...

[edit on 13-8-2006 by Knights]

good link!
but I suggest you blame this to Korean
they are the biggest dog eater

BTW, as I know Indian treat cow as numen,
if they Protest you of killing cow
what will you do?
will you stop eating beef?

[edit on 13-8-2006 by gs001]

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by gs001
in that county, 3 people was killed of rabies and
500 people was bitten by dogs twice as many as last year.
and vaccine injection couldn't stop the spread of rabies
what should you do?

Yo, hmm, 3 cases of rabies out of a country with one billion+ people is not that bad....yeah it sucks, but does it really call for a mass beating of domesticated pets?

500 people bitten by dogs
With one third the population, I'm sure the U.S. has more cases than 500.....so, what should we do? Should we start killing off pets here too?

Sporty

[edit on 13/8/2006 by SportyMB]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join