It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bripe's Book of The Week (BBOTW) for August 2nd, 2006

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Once a week, for giggles, I'll be picking a book of the week and giving it a plug here on BTS' comics forum. I'll pick from the upcoming release list and give you a rundown on the book and why I think you should be reading it. My good buddy Umbrax will be doing the very same - in our team effort to get you folks to maybe try something new - or maybe to even pick up a comic for the first time.

This particular post is, of course, just my opinion, but then again I have pretty good opinions...

This weeks's pick:

Usagi Yojimbo #95

Discover the series that has garnered worldwide fans over the past two decades and won countless awards! Five years ago, Usagi dodged a bullet when the mysterious assassin Shizukiri was willing to accept a an expected bounty rather than engage the rabbit ronin and his fellow wandering samurai, Gen. Shizukiri's reputation as a ruthless, unbeatable opponent was well established even before he became the only hired sword ever to stare down our long-eared hero, but now his formidable skills are up against Karma itself! When beggars hire him to kill a high-ranking samurai, Shizukiri becomes tangled in a fateful and unexpected plot. Will his skills preserve him, or is Karma truly inescapable?

Publisher: Dark Horse
Pubish Date: July 26, 2006
Format: B&W, 24 pages
Price: $2.99

Click here for cover

Why should you be reading this book?

First created in 1983, Usagi Yojimbo has been one of the continuously most critically acclaimed comics of the modern age. Since November of 1984, when he made his debut in Albedo #2, Usagi (and his creator Stan) have greceived twenty-one Eisner Award nominations.

You may be familiar with Usagi's guest-starring roles with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, though in truth neither series have been spot on - though the new series has been closer.

Usagi Yojimbo isn't a "furry" book. It is a title for those who love feudal Japanese culture, ninja, samurai, and mature themes about honor, love, and duty. If you have ever read and enjoyed Lone Wolf and Cub, or seen one of Akira Kurosawa's films - Usagi Yojimbo may be right up your alley.

Take a break from the capes this week and do try something new.

join