It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Half life 1+2 Mappers/Modelers/Modders/Etc..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Hey, just wondering who of you out there Map,Model,or make mods and all that on your own or with a certain group (I.E. Gangwars, etc). I use 3DstudioMax for modeling and Valve Hammer Editor for mapping and such. Free and open to w/e conversation.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I have been a mapmaker for both Soldier of Fortune 2 and now Half-Life 2. While I haven't released any maps for HL2, I do know a fair bit about map making if you have any questions.

Just the other day, I was thinking about how badly I want to mod HL2 deathmatch. I just can't help but crave (like a stoner craving whitecastle) an old school grappling hook and railgun. Why, despite the enhancements in technology, was quake+grappling hook+railgun the smoothest multiplayer I ever played? A small part of me still weeps when I recall the numerous times I splattered three or four people in a row while doing a nice ballistic arc across the map.

Jon

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 03:25 AM
link   
haha, quake...such a great game, and a staple for many multiplayer and FPS games today. Yes i've mapped a little while for Half Life 2 and its been great. Modding is great too, Gangwars is going to be a great mod (they made the first version on the Half Life 1 engine and are now making it on the Source one ) Anyway, glad to see a fellow mapper here as well. Oh, and SOF2 was a great game too

[edit on 1-8-2006 by AllinTheMind89]

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Haha, I'll tell you the HL2 mod I am currently loving is BattleGrounds; a Revolutionary War mod that really makes you feel like you are in the thick of things. The guns range in accuracy from "why bother aiming" to "it was just pure luck" and have a 10 second reload - but one hit is nearly (usually?) fatal.

The amazing thing is that the initial "confining" rules of the game force strategy and tactical team play unlike anything I've ever seen. The guns have a smoky muzzle blast that can totally obscure vision if you are in a group. You have to cleverly time reloads while depending on teammates to back you up (an enemy can cover quite a bit of ground during that 10 second reload.) Your bayonet is the primary weapon most of the time. The sound effects are first rate, providing a satisfying BOOM when you fire the .50-caliber rifle. When you finally see people form up ranks and alternate between reload / cover / fire responsibilities - all without being told to - you will appreciate the subtle brilliance of the limitations placed on you by the nearly perfect war simulation.

Jon

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Yes! That revolutionary war mod is very impressive, with everything you said from smoke blinding your vision to having to take 10seconds to reload. Makes it really...Realistic! haha, some other good mods out are: Day of Defeat, Counterstrike of course, and for Half Life 1 i remember "Natural Selection" was really awesome...you ever play that one?

top topics

join