It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transatlantic relationship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I thought that I would post this interesting but brief overview of some of the ups and downs in the Britain - USA relationship. Feel free to debate the effects and merits that
Transatlantic leaders have had on the Britain - USA relationship.

Harold Wilson once observed, in un-diplomatic exasperation, that the Americans "couldn't tell their asses from their elbows". Lyndon Johnson's phraseology was often picturesque in the extreme, and the infamous presidential tapes released during the Watergate affair were full of gaps where Richard Nixon's expletives had been deleted for fear of offending the delicate sensibilities of the American people.

It was certainly true of Harold Macmillan who, like Churchill, boasted an American mother, played up his wartime links with President Eisenhower when he became prime minister, and claimed he was an influential mentor to President Kennedy during the Cuba missile crisis.

It was equally true of Margaret Thatcher, who regarded Ronald Reagan as an ideological soul mate, buttressed his relaxed presidential style with her inimitable brand of prime ministerial vigour, and allowed American planes to take off from British bases to bomb Libya.

Link

Many differnt leaders have sat in the Oval office and at number 10. Despitr Britain needing the USA more then the USA needs it younger brother there have been disagreements . We can be thankfull that the disagreements have only lasted as long as the leaders have been in office.

I understand that Iraq could be a part of this topic but I ask posters to keep some perspective there is 60 years worth of history to debate.

Anyway I will kick start the thread by saying that Wilson took a wise course of action when he refused to join LBJ Vietnam crusade.

[edit on 31-7-2006 by xpert11]

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The question is, is there just a love hate relationship over the years or a relationship of covenience. When it behoves the two to be friends, it seems to work out nicely, but without motive would there be one.

The current situation (Blair/Bush) is interesting. It strikes me that the people of both countries are mistrustful of it, yet it persists.

An in depth look at this relationship over time is a great idea.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 12:20 AM
link   
The Bush - Blair relationship is very interesting. At first glance you would think that the two men would have little in common. However if you scarth beneath surface both men are christians and fathers. I think that the events of 9-11 and the fact that they share some of there beliefs in common laid the foundations and shaped an unlikely friendship.

[edit on 3-8-2006 by xpert11]

join