It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Castro is taking a break from being a President

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Fidel Castro has given his power over to his brother Raul, for only a short time. Castro has had a series of health problems and feels now he should take a rest.

us.rd.yaho o.com
HAVANA -
Fidel Castro temporarily relinquished his presidential powers to his brother Raul on Monday night and told Cubans he underwent surgery.

The Cuban leader said he had suffered gastrointestinal bleeding, apparently due to stress from recent public appearances in Argentina and Cuba, according to the letter read live on television by his secretary, Carlos Valenciaga.

"The operation obligates me to undertake several weeks of rest," the letter read, adding that extreme stress "had provoked in me a sharp intestinal crisis with sustained bleeding that obligated me to undergo a complicated surgical procedure."

Castro said he was temporarily relinquishing the presidency to his younger brother and successor Raul, the defense minister, but said the move was of "a provisional character." There was no immediate appearance or statement by Raul Castro.

The elder Castro asked that celebrations scheduled for his 80th birthday on Aug. 13 be postponed until Dec. 2, the 50th anniversary of Cuba's Revolutionary Armed Forces.

Castro said he would also temporarily relinquish his duties as first secretary of the Communist Party of Cuba to Raul, who turned 75 in June and who has been taking on a more public profile in recent weeks.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Is seems like another power struggle will begin here. With Castro's power in someone elses hands, there is a wonder to what could happen next with Cuba and the U.S.A.

Castro is very sick right now and if another thing could happen to put Castro in a point to leave the seat of power all together. All power will go to his brother, and from there on many things would change.

Related News Links:
us.rd.yah oo.com

[edit on 31-7-2006 by ragster]

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Yes, he's sick alright. So is his fat little brother...sick psychopaths...its about time some good news came to the world in this most troubled time.

The devil awaits him.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
President?

Do communist countries have Presidents?

I thought he was a dictator.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Keyhole,

You're correct. The word is "dictator"

apc

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Castro said he would also temporarily relinquish his duties as first secretary of the Communist Party of Cuba to Raul, who turned 75 in June and who has been taking on a more public profile in recent weeks.

Obviously this was planned. Wouldn't it be uttery ironic if he were to stroke out, have coma induced, stroke again... I wonder who gets the seat when "little" brother bites it.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
apc,

I dont think the little brother will get the chance to rule too long, imo. Just a gut feeling.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
I wonder who gets the seat when "little" brother bites it.

Viva La revolution if he croaks they have been waiting for years to get their country back. Mark my word it will happen even if it's Cuban Americans who do it, but it will get done if his brother dies that is and assuming both deaths are very close together.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Oh man I better make some plans soon. Once the country is freed it will become a capitalist wet dream. What can I open up? What can I sell? WHAT KIND OF RATES CAN I GET!? Anything I want because its a fresh market. I cannot wait. $$$$$$$$

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Dyepes,

Can you make good Chinese food? Its real big business there- at least it will be again once there is food there again.

Carsales
Mechanics
Construction
There's no end to it!!! $$$$$$$$$$$

[edit on 1-8-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I had just heard on the news that the Americans are planning (if asked, I think) to bring democracy to Cuba after Mr. Castro's demise. This is something that came toward the end of Wolf Blitzer's "Situation Room". What does everyone think about this?

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Ceci, i'm all for it. Now, some may wonder why i think this is ok and Iraq was not ok with me.
Lets just say that there is a window of opportunity now- and without some major invasion and loss of life, we will be able to bring food to those poor souls there and a better way of life.
If this government dont do it, the Cubans will take matters into their own hands anyway. Just look at the celebrations in the streets in Miami, that should tell you how we feel about that man.
Cubans are ballsey and they will be going to that island - as i understand it, there are already boats set up for a mass entrance to Cuba!!!
Fidel must either be litterally brain dead by now or dead. there is no way he would relenquish power to his brother...on his own if he had a breath left in him. He knows the world will be at that island in a very short time. At least this is what i think.
Cuba was and will be prime property- The jewel of the caribbean.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I believe several international airports on each side would be proper to develop. Are not those the kind of loans World Banc and the IMF dish out?

Perhaps this island can become a test-bed for harnessing the energy of tropical storms? I think I better consult with the State Department soon about what kind of options they have written out for private citizens to aquire land in this new market? Surely the Cuban government would have to begin selling land in order to succeed.

I would think it wise the cubans ask for statehood into our union? Once they realize the benefits of becoming a state, perhaps other failing economies, such as Mexico, Haiti, Domincan Republic; and territories such as Puerto Rico, Guam, Virgin Islands (RE: Hawaii), and Israel will also understand the wonders and benefits of such a beatiful way of life.

Sure it would require developing and advancing the infrastructue, but that is an alternative to wars and human agony for stimulating an economy. The defense industry also profits from the weapons required to protect these new lands. We just need to go slower. Start with Cuba, give it a go for about 10 years, see if we cant convince PR to reconsider statehood in the meantime.

As far as flags are concerned, their current flag can be kept as their state flag and as a state has the right to alter as they see fit. We simply must continue to add stars to the banner we love so much. We have the stripes, we have the space. We must offer and deliver our rights and freedoms to these ailing nations!

[edit on 8/1/2006 by DYepes]

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
I had just heard on the news that the Americans are planning (if asked, I think) to bring democracy to Cuba after Mr. Castro's demise. This is something that came toward the end of Wolf Blitzer's "Situation Room". What does everyone think about this?

What do I think about it...

Of course Fidel Castro is a dictator, but what the Americans cannot bare, is the simply fact that the small mice (Cuba, that is) living next door, extended his little leg and kicked the big elephant (USA, that is) in the balls.

In Canada, we resume diplomatic relationship with Cuba, long time ago (in Pierre Elliot Trudeau's time, as I recall), we can travel there, since a long time, and lot of people do it (never been there, but I'm told, it is one of the best beach, on earth), of course, we can freely get Cuba cigars, etc.

Now, Cuba is third world country, but school (University) & health care system, are not the worst on earth, far from it.

Cuba (Castro & Che Guevara) will remains in the phychology of people, an example of trying to do things, there own way (not what USA want, etc.). What the after Fidel Castro might bring, I don't know, some sort of rapprochement, let hope, perhaps.

I'm not taking about Cuba here, but the Americans should stop thinking, that giving the choice, everyone on earth want to immigrate (or wish that they were born American) to the USA, not true.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Thanks dg and PopeyeFAFL for answering my question. I was wondering how people might feel about that. Although when I heard it, the first thing I thought about was what happened in Iraq. And then I thought about the turbulent politics in Haiti.

And yes, dg, I would have to agree with you on "democraticizing" Cuba by U.S. intervention as long as it is doesn't involve a loss of life and it doesn't invite America to be an "occupier" of the country.

I think that if there are enough people who definitely see Mr. Castro's illness and old age as a sign of opportunity, then they should strike while the iron is hot.

But do you guys think that Castro's control over the island is weakened enough for there to be a change in government and ideology if it is in the people's hands to have a revolution?

[edit on 2-8-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Ceci, if its true that Fidel is dead or at least "incapacitated" Cubans from Florida and all over this country will take matters into their own hands, go there and very little intervension from America will be needed (as far as troops) to claim back what is rightfully ours.

If you and others could understand that Castro took EVERYTHING, homes, businesses, EVERYTHING away from the Cubans, you can see why the passion in going back and claiming what rightfully belongs to us. Of course, i doubt that there is anything left worth taking back now, but still, they will be going in droves...

I'm also wondering, the validity of this rumor that he's very ill. You see, Fidel wants "attention" and nothing pisses him off more than to be ignored. I wouldnt be surprised if this "illness" is staged just to get a reaction. This is a possibility.
If he is truly incapacitated, cubans are not worried about Raul. They will beat the hell out of him- they wont lose this window of opportunity....no way. Now the Cubans on the island are all behind Castro (most of them). They are a new generation, and dont know any better....they see Fidel as their "father" ugh.

On the other hand, Castro would be giving a speech from a hospital bed- he's done it before...so where is he? dead? That is what every Cuban in the US is hoping for, including me.
Unless he rears his ugly head very very soon, a revolution is comming to Cuba. And as i said, American-Cubans are ballsey enough to do it on their own

So, we have to wait and see. This may be a trick by the senile dictator just to get a rise..... Me, i want him dead. He killed members of my family for speaking out against him.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I can't help but wonder, paranoid that I am, if Fidel's carcass is already cold, and the handlers are trying to gently introduce the truth to the populace--Fidel is feeling better today;oops, now he's worse. Eww, a little worse today, etc.

That's how the Russians did it, when the wheels were coming off the old Soviet juggernaut. quick succession of Premiers met untimely death from "illness." Saturday Night Live had a running joke of "The new soviet premier . . . has a cold."

The tell-tale bit of info to watch for will be Raul's health. If we start hearing that he, too, is under the weather, it must be seen as an admission that the old guard of 1959 is passing away, and there are no realistic replacements.

Eventually, I suspect a 3rd or 4th tier bureaucrat will decide his career would have more promise if he just told the truth that they have died, and starts and opposition party. That's when things will get interesting, in a hurry.

Either that, or Fidel and Raul really ARE the evil undead, sucking the life-force out of their people, drawing immortal power from the suffering of millions. . . .

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by PopeyeFAFL

In Canada, we resume diplomatic relationship with Cuba, long time ago (in Pierre Elliot Trudeau's time, as I recall), we can travel there, since a long time, and lot of people do it (never been there, but I'm told, it is one of the best beach, on earth), of course, we can freely get Cuba cigars, etc.

Well, i am glad that you can get so much out of Cuba, when the Cuban people are suffering.... one of the worst things happening in Cuba with tourism, is that a lot of degenerated bastards take advantage of the situation in Cuba and deal in child prostitution....

Now, Cuba is third world country, but school (University) & health care system, are not the worst on earth, far from it.

Really?.... i guess according to you indoctrinating children from an early age to be "pioneers for Communism" and making them pay for school by sending children starting from around 11 years old to summer labor camps to harvest food they can't eat themselves and it's used "to spread the revolution to other countries" is an awesome educational system?......

Cuba (Castro & Che Guevara) will remains in the phychology of people, an example of trying to do things, there own way (not what USA want, etc.). What the after Fidel Castro might bring, I don't know, some sort of rapprochement, let hope, perhaps.

Something that most people don't know, there might be some Cubans who believe the BS that is given in the daily indoctrination and propaganda which the regime instills on people from an early age. But most Cubans know the truth about castro and Che...they were, and in the case of castro is unless he is dead, two bastards who murdered many of their own people and brought suffering to the whole nation...

I'm not taking about Cuba here, but the Americans should stop thinking, that giving the choice, everyone on earth want to immigrate (or wish that they were born American) to the USA, not true.

i don't think anyone has said "every person on Earth wants to be born in the U.S. or live here"...but what is true is that many people around the world do want to live in the U.S. and would have loved to have been born here.... It is the only reason why there are still so many people that try to get to the United States....and unfortunately, many die trying.

[edit on 3-8-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 02:00 AM
link   
dg,

I do understand about what Castro did to his citizens. With that, I empathize greatly. That is why I hope that finally Cuba and its peoples use this pivotal point in time to finally change things for the better by ousting the regime.

I especially sympathize with this because I understand that forty-seven years does not erase the feelings of pain caused by the Castro regime. And I can say the same for the United States and African-Americans. In the case of Blacks, forty-two years (since the Civil Rights Act of 1964) does not erase what happened during the years of Jim Crow. And to know that the perpetrators and sympathizers to this system of thinking are still alive without any remorse for what they did causes pain even more. It doesn't make us victims. But it certainly raises our consciousness of what we need to do make sure that the past does not happen again and finally achieve the justice we rightly deserve.

That is why the suffering and persecution of others cannot be ignored and invalidated in any circumstance. And I hope that the Cubans (in the U.S mainland and in their nation) can get it together in order to get the freedom they deserve after all that time.

[edit on 3-8-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Lol, when Fidel falls, US is going to enforce "liberation", when they could very well just stop the economic blockade and stop cubans from starving.

Nono, they must have a puppet state, keeping people from starving is not enough...

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

Well, i am glad that you can get so much out of Cuba, when the Cuban people are suffering.... one of the worst things happening in Cuba with tourism, is that a lot of degenerated bastards take advantage of the situation in Cuba and deal in child prostitution....
[edit on 3-8-2006 by Muaddib]

Ah, yeah, I forgot, it will be so nice, when Cuba return to your normality.

Let's try a little "Battista" era again, when it was corruption wall to wall, prostitution, like there is no tomorrow.

Ah, the "good old day", USA style, can't wait to see it again...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join