It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Castro hands power over to brother

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Whatever happens, lets hope its the best for the people, I don't care if it is a beautiful or an ugly country, people are the most important factor in any country.

There have been some cases where a dictator prepared the situation to a change to democracy after his death, so we do not know what Fidel Castro himself has made in regards to a political testament.

Lets hope also that all the good things achieved during Castro's regime do not go away when he dies, Cuba is an example to the world in some aspects, like education and health.

[edit on 1/8/2006 by ArMaP]

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   

CNN

HAVANA, Cuba (CNN) -- Cuban President Fidel Castro's recuperation "is advancing positively," Venezuela's government said Tuesday, citing Cuban authorities a day after the communist leader temporarily handed power to his brother due to intestinal surgery.

Cuban television reported the handover Monday night, the first time Castro has ceded control of the island nation in 47 years. Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is a close ally of Castro's.

The Cuban leader's secretary, Carlos Valenciaga, read a letter Monday night that he said was from the president announcing the news. In it, the Cuban leader said that stress had forced him into surgery and that he would be in bed for several weeks after the operation.

I really think we're seeing the beginning of the end here.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

I really think we're seeing the beginning of the end here.

I think you might be right experts on CNN and other networks have had a question mark behind his name when discussing the story.

They also mentioned another fact that I have not yet seen in the press and that is the fact that his brother has some health problems of his own specifically three, but the one that stood out was the fact he has prostrate cancer, I forget the other two, but just that one made me take note instantly and go hmmmm what happens if he dies? Civil war would be very possible or perhaps a Coup de ta to take down the number three whoever he might be.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The people down in Little Havan are celebrating in the streets with this news. As for what will happen to Cuba, there are many exiles in Miami that would love to return to their homeland. And it could flourish once again as a tourist and agricultural center.

But the politics would have to be right for that to happen.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
And it could flourish once again as a tourist and agricultural center.

Cuba is a tourist and agricultural centre.

Lets hope it does not flourish once again as a "playground" for the US Mafia.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I've read an srticle in one of todays UK papers stating that Ernesto Diaz Rodriguez, leader of a cuban exile paramilitary group said civil war might be necessary if peaceful efforts to "return cuba to democracy" did not work

Looks as if things at present are not great in Cuba, well there goes my holiday i was booking at the weekend! Never mind Barbados/Jamica it is then!

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   
On a news show this morning, a Florida Congresswoman was discussing the impact, not of Cuban-Americans returning to Cuba, but of all the expected immigrants from Cuba (relatives of Cuban-Americans).

I'm so cynical, but how will oil grease any US relationships with a new Cuban leader
www.azcentral.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join